Axe fx ultra/ii + live = good??

slenderman

Reaction score
Whaddup y'all.

So ive grown pretty sick of having to worry about my tube amp heads and if they will work night after night since im on the road constantly.

Thinking about going the axe fx route.

Ive really only heard it live once when this band we were touring with.
It always sounded soo thin and empty though, however it did sound GOOD. (if that makes any sense) he was running the axe fx with a solid state preamp into two vader 4x12 cabs. he was the only guitarist of the band.

So heres my problem: Is it possible to make the axe fx sound good and full for a live setting? Ill be running it through a cab (mesa recto, however ill be ordering my custom omega 5x12 soon).

Also, are there any known troubles with the axe fx?

The more help/info/opinions the better!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

slenderman

Reaction score
Btw, im not in a Djent or Tech death metal band. Im in a "Modern" nu metal band.
Playing in g sharp 7 strings.

my band:

Facebook.com/swornin

We have two guitarists, the other guitarist using a powerball ii

EOT

I pull over 500 lbs.
Reaction score
I haven't used mine live. But the most awesome live guitar tone I've ever heard was Messhuggah. So I know that it definitely can sound great. I still prefer my amps for most of what I do though.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Me too, there's just a certain x factor that no matter how badass a processor sounds it just cant beat a good tube head. Too bad none of us had roadies/were rich, otherwise we wouldnt give a shit about protability/weight! We would be saying "so how many 4x12's can we fit on a stage?":lol:

Kristianx510

Reaction score
This is off topic but, not going to lie...I fangirled really hard when I read that you're in Sworn In..

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
I say go for it. My current band is a thrash/meldoic death metal band, no djent at all, and Im getting great distortion tones as well as great cleans just direct into the house PA. For personal monitoring i just alternate between a few shitty small solidstate amps. Im soin upgrading ti a proper pa wedge soon tho.

But yea Im greating great tones, as good as any tube rig ive heard. I dont tour but i do play shows fairly regularly. Like last sunday. Had great tone and no problems.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I go to music school and we have to perform in front of the school for marks every now and then. I performed three times with the AxeFX this term and all three times I used very different guitar tones. Every time I got over the top comment about how amazing it sounded. This was in the context of a full band where I was the only guitar player, a full band with another guitar player, and a 3-piece with piano and bass. People who knew nothing about guitar tone were complimenting me up and down about my tone, and I honestly need to work more on my tones to get them to where I want them to be.

I hope that's a testament to what it can do, I'm very pleased with it live.

slenderman

Reaction score
I go to music school and we have to perform in front of the school for marks every now and then. I performed three times with the AxeFX this term and all three times I used very different guitar tones. Every time I got over the top comment about how amazing it sounded. This was in the context of a full band where I was the only guitar player, a full band with another guitar player, and a 3-piece with piano and bass. People who knew nothing about guitar tone were complimenting me up and down about my tone, and I honestly need to work more on my tones to get them to where I want them to be.

I hope that's a testament to what it can do, I'm very pleased with it live.

Thanks man.

Are you running through PA or..?

jeb

Reaction score
here's my story,
I'm in 2 bands, one prog metal not dgent at all and the other is a celtic punk/rock band not dgent at all :lol:

In the last year I giged a lot with the celtic rock band I a use an axe-fx ultra with a marshall 9200 power and 4X12 vintage 30 avatar cab.

A xlr out is going to the PA with a cabinet block and the output 2 is going to the marshall power and the 4X12 without the cabinet block, at every single gig I did the soundman was impress with the tone, the rest of the band too!!

This way I have the control of the volume on the stage that I can play with, and the soundman stay happy because it change nothing on is side!

I say go for it!!! :hbang:

slenderman

Reaction score
I'm really considering doing this. So much money down the drain, though :(

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I'm really considering doing this. So much money down the drain, though :(

Down the drain? Please, it's more like money in the bank! Never having to buy another amp or pedal again is a sweet feeling. :hbang:

Reaction score
Just about every band I've seen live with an AFX setup running directly to the PA has sounded so much clearer than the t00b amp 2 da face and mic setup.

Kristianx510

Reaction score
I would hate to be that guy, but you can always get a POD HD Pro if the Axe FX price tag is too steep. I have one, and it sounds amazing.

Reaction score
I've done axefx direct and through cabs. Both worked really well. I like the balls that are still intact when using a cab though, so i will be grabbing another orange 4x12 in the near future. sworn in goes real hard too!

')