Axe-Fx Video Showing Djent/Metal Patches + How I dial - Sectioned

• Thread starter Nozzle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jl_killer

Reaction score
Nice patch, thanks. I found it really helpful as I havent been able to create such focused, cutting and tight tones when i'm playing with mine. I always end up trying to create more wall of sound patches which are fun but I know won't end up sounding too great once I get a recording setup happening.

What setup are you playing this through? I have mine hooked up to monitors in stereo and the patch is heavy on the left due to the stereo cab both sides being panned to the left and the mono one up the middle.

Nozzle

Reaction score
I should probably note this in the video but i'm running in Mono. It'll sound super weird in stereo so I suggest trying it in Mono!

Glad you found it helpful. Yeah I always find it totally deceiving..always gotta dial to context otherwise it'll probably sound like ass and it's an ear training exercise!

It's going mono left from my axe-fx to my profire2626 and then out tannoy reveal 8D's :)

BuckarooBanzai

Reaction score
This is pretty much exactly how I dialed my Periphery tone, right down to the massive mid-boost in the drive block and the cranked damp, depth and mids in the amp block. I have the post-amp setup a bit different, however... Bulb uses a single cab blocked with a 4x12 German with the 57 mic last I checked (sans para EQ), but to me that sounds a bit too fizzy so I go with an R121. Your tone sounds pretty damn close though, though it's a bit hard to tell with the camera's mic.

Personally I like his pre-album Axe-Fx tone a lot more since it has more brightness and tightness (eg Light Ultra 2.0 or Froggin' Bullfish), and to facilitate this I crank the B+ on the amp model and change the clip type on the drive to 4558/diode.

In line with your waxing philosophical on patches I made the mistake of basing my rhythm tone off of this sort of 808Mod/Modern/German combo for a good long while until I realized that I don't play djent, I don't need a totally djenty tone and that I should probably take advantage of the 60+ amp models in the Axe-Fx instead of sticking to just one. I've since migrated to a BB Pre->RK100->25W/German with R121 sort of chain and it took me only 90 seconds to get a tone I'm twice as happy with as my old one.

Moral of the story - the FAS Modern isn't all it's cracked up to be (for me at least).

Nozzle

Reaction score
Input is almost at midnight for my seymour duncan blackouts - they are actives so you might want to push towards 1 o'clock or further with some medium/high output passives like some of the bareknuckles.

It's not for the purpose of 'Periphery' it's just what I like to play with! I like the attack of it.

He used the metal 4x12 cab which I dialled in with in the first video, on the album. And yeah i'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of the album tone either but the one in New Groove is awesome.

I dig FAS modern a lot but the 5150 model is also epic and so is the Uber model (since firmware 10.0)

BuckarooBanzai

Reaction score
Input is almost at midnight for my seymour duncan blackouts - they are actives so you might want to push towards 1 o'clock or further with some medium/high output passives like some of the bareknuckles.

It's not for the purpose of 'Periphery' it's just what I like to play with! I like the attack of it.

He used the metal 4x12 cab which I dialled in with in the first video, on the album. And yeah i'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of the album tone either but the one in New Groove is awesome.

I dig FAS modern a lot but the 5150 model is also epic and so is the Uber model (since firmware 10.0)

Where'd you read the thing about the Metal cab? According to Fractal Forums and I believe his Formspring (although I haven't actually seen it) it's the German... I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm seriously interested. In fact, I think I'll try that out now.

Nozzle

Reaction score
He used the german to start with when he first got his axe-fx with the 421 mic.

Go toy with the metal 4x12 without a mic sim and you'll hear that exact snarly undertone that's on the Periphery record!

A very reliable source told me!

Gitte

Reaction score
yeah i would love to see it too because i'm about to purchase one of those beauties :)

BrandonARC

Banned
Reaction score
i sent him a pm a while back and he said its staying private.

')