Axe-FX vs software?

• Thread starter sevenstringj
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Aside from the benefit of having something to take to gigs that functions like a real amp, how does the Axe-FX sound direct compared to software rigs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
I used to use all the free vsts I could get my grubby little hands on and a few paid for use things like Guitar Rig 3. I know there's a newer version of GR out as well as others but in my opinion they still don't sound as good as the Axe does.

I think the *secret* sauce is in Cliff's algorithms, whatever it is that the Axe is doing "behind the scenes" is just either really different or *that* much better than what the other guys are doing.

Though once I mentioned the Axe being better on a vst forum once I got my ass chewed out because there was no way in hell it sounded better than Revalver, etc.

Point is, to each their own. If you think your software rig sounds good, then it does. Enjoy it and judge by your own ears!

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
I was just wondering about this too. Theoretically, they should be about the same (changes in algorithms not withstanding). I was pricing a rig in GR vs. The AxeFx, and GR can be had cheaper, but now you're taking an actual laptop live, which has risks of its own.

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't risk a laptop as a live rig. Not that it can't, shouldn't or hasn't been done generally speaking, I just wouldn't feel comfortable with it. The axe has all the sounds I want in one little box. Since I'm using QSC K10s I don't need to lag around a power amp or big heavy cabs to gig or jam with friends.

Reaction score
In my experience using GR, the Axe just responds to your playing more authentically. I've really never been impressed by software rigs.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
I used to use all the free vsts I could get my grubby little hands on and a few paid for use things like Guitar Rig 3. I know there's a newer version of GR out as well as others but in my opinion they still don't sound as good as the Axe does.

I think the *secret* sauce is in Cliff's algorithms, whatever it is that the Axe is doing "behind the scenes" is just either really different or *that* much better than what the other guys are doing.

Though once I mentioned the Axe being better on a vst forum once I got my ass chewed out because there was no way in hell it sounded better than Revalver, etc.

Point is, to each their own. If you think your software rig sounds good, then it does. Enjoy it and judge by your own ears!

i personally haven't tried an axe-fx, and i sure as fuck would love to, but revalver for me sucked. everything i have tried software wise was extremely MEH

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah well, I forget which forum it was, but I was all evangelical about the AxeFX when I first got one and on this one forum they tore me a new asshole for even *thinking* it might be comparable to Revalver et al... such is life, like I said, use what works. Personally I like the Axe better than the software I've heard and tried but whatever, no worries :yesway:

')