B standard 6 string question

• Thread starter Ibanezrg560
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ibanezrg560

Dat boy
Reaction score
I have been listening to alot of bands that use B standard tuning (Amon Amarth, crowbar, pelican) and i want to tune my 6 string ibanez to B as well. On my old guitar i used Ernie ball not even slinkies and i didnt like the plain G string because it would always go out of tune and rusted really fast. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to just buy a 7 string set for its heavier gauges and wound g (or D) and not use the lightest string. Also, my guitar has the original edge tremolo and i know that without a locking nut you have to file the nut to fit thicker strings, would i have to do anything like that with a locking nut? Finally, Since the string tension will be about the same as e standard, will i have to adjust the truss rod?
thanks for any advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I'd try two sets if I were you: the Dunlop ZW one and the skulls 60-12 (the skulls have a wound D, the ZW has light higher strings gauge for easier bends and vibrato)

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
I use d'addario "Medium Jazz 13-56" for B standard on my 6 string. It works great for me, and has a wound 3rd string. YMMV, but the tension profile is good for me. I did have to do an adjustment to neck and bridge to get the setup proper however.

Don't waste your money with a 7 string set by throwing a string away. Take a look at the individual string sizes in a 7 string set and you'll see that they are roughly the same as the set I referred to.

Cheers.

Ibanezrg560

Dat boy
Reaction score
thanks for the suggestions, i ended up going with the 13-56 set and it feels and sounds great!

WarMachine

Reaction score
Those are a great set dude! i LOVE the beefy strings man. Lol i catch hell all the time because people tell me they dont know how i can play a guitar with reebar for strings lol. On the truss rod, DO NOT PLAY WITH IT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!! that can COMPLETELY trash ANY guitar (provided you have a bolt on neck, you would just have to trash the neck for a new one).

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Those are a great set dude! i LOVE the beefy strings man. Lol i catch hell all the time because people tell me they dont know how i can play a guitar with reebar for strings lol. On the truss rod, DO NOT PLAY WITH IT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!! that can COMPLETELY trash ANY guitar (provided you have a bolt on neck, you would just have to trash the neck for a new one).

It's pretty hard to trash a guitar just by messing with the truss rod. I started fucking with truss rods when I was 13 (on an RG1527 no less) and I never trashed a single one.

Handbanana

Reaction score
EB Heavy Top/Skinny Bottoms work fine in that tuning. And I rock a Floyd so chyea.

WarMachine

Reaction score
It's pretty hard to trash a guitar just by messing with the truss rod. I started fucking with truss rods when I was 13 (on an RG1527 no less) and I never trashed a single one.
Not necessarily true dude, at least for my case. I haven't done it myself, but my buddy did and while he didnt crank down on it very hard the rod broke and the neck bowed wicked bad. just sayin:agreed:

')