Bad eBay experience

• Thread starter MoshJosh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
Be smart, use a camcorder. I use a cheaper one and videotape everything for condition and functionality just before packing it, as well as showing the date and time on the iPad during recording. Saved me the one time someone tried to .... me on EBay on a Les Paul Supreme I sold. Just uploaded the videos to youtube and linked them to the Ebay people and he lost his claim. Simple as that. Cover thy ass!

Which camcorder did you buy?

I haven't sold much on eBay. The one problem I had was with a buyer who didn't pay and ignored my polite messages for five days or so. I opened a dispute or whatever with eBay. They contacted the buyer and he immediately sent the payment. I shipped the bass and never heard from him again. He never gave me feedback so I didn't leave him any.

I'd really like to use Craigslist but I don't like the idea of unknown people coming to my house to buy ..... It would be very nice to bypass the eBay, Paypal, & UPS fees. I sold a guitar for $520 and made $302 after the fees and shipping.

I know it's an old thread but I have a question for MoshJosh. Why didn't you ship the guitar within 2 business days? As a buyer, I wouldn't give negative feedback over an extra day but it would be annoying if I'd have to wait over the weekend for something that should've arrived by Friday.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd really like to use Craigslist but I don't like the idea of unknown people coming to my house to buy ..... It would be very nice to bypass the eBay, Paypal, & UPS fees. I sold a guitar for $520 and made $302 after the fees and shipping.

Just meet up at Guitar Center or any other large music store. That's what I do. Tons of people and cameras as well as amps/guitars to test whatever you're buying or selling.

As for pricing, you're supposed to work that in. :lol:

downburst82

Reaction score

Just meet up at Guitar Center or any other large music store. That's what I do. Tons of people and cameras as well as :realmad:/guitars to test whatever you're buying or selling.

In Vancouver the police have told the public they are allowed to use the lobby of the police station to meet people for craigslist deals. Definitely helps weed out straight up scammers and criminal's if your worried.To be honest though ive done over a hundred deals on Craigslist and only ever felt the need to do a deal there twice. Out of those hundred deals I've only ever had 1 issue and that was just buying a pedal without testing that had issues ( it was early on in my dealings I've learned my lesson). Bottom line Craigslist is great if your smart and take a few precautions.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
Just meet up at Guitar Center or any other large music store. That's what I do. Tons of people and cameras as well as amps/guitars to test whatever you're buying or selling.

I've heard of people doing this but I didn't think it was that widespread. I don't know how the local GC managment would feel about people doing business in their store and not paying GC anything.

As for pricing, you're supposed to work that in. :lol:

Yeah...no one was willing to buy it at the original higher price. I tried for months.

In Vancouver the police have told the public they are allowed to use the lobby of the police station to meet people for craigslist deals. Definitely helps weed out straight up scammers and criminal's if your worried.To be honest though ive done over a hundred deals on Craigslist and only ever felt the need to do a deal there twice. Out of those hundred deals I've only ever had 1 issue and that was just buying a pedal without testing that had issues ( it was early on in my dealings I've learned my lesson). Bottom line Craigslist is great if your smart and take a few precautions.

That's a great idea!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've heard of people doing this but I didn't think it was that widespread. I don't know how the local GC managment would feel about people doing business in their store and not paying GC anything.

I've been doing it that way for several years at numerous Guitar Center and Sam Ash locations and they never even seemed to care in the slightest.

I'm sure if I brought in multiple guitars at a time several times a week they'd start caring, but one guy selling or trading a guitar a few times a year isn't going to look like competition to them.

Frankly, given their sales lately, I'm sure they're just happy to have folks walking in the door.:lol:

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I've done at least 3 guitar trades/purchases in the past year at GC/Sam Ash. The staff isn't overtly thrilled about it, but I generally then have my new guitar set up there, buy new strings, one time I bought a pickup... I'd hope that maybe that might make them feel better about it. Because chances are otherwise I wouldn't have even visited the establishment.

People in the door is people in the door when it comes to having a shop!

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I've been doing it that way for several years at numerous Guitar Center and Sam Ash locations and they never even seemed to care in the slightest.

I'm sure if I brought in multiple guitars at a time several times a week they'd start caring, but one guy selling or trading a guitar a few times a year isn't going to look like competition to them.

Frankly, given their sales lately, I'm sure they're just happy to have folks walking in the door.:lol:

Alot of folks around here like to meet at GC too - ours happens to be kinda centrally located so it's a good spot - never had a problem my self - usually we are in the parking lot but think i've done at a least one deal inside - no one bothers us.

Sucks about your ebay experience OP. Dude sounds like an ass. If i'm selling something, if i don't get it out the first available shipping day i'll usually send a a message letting the buyer know - but never had a buyer that beat me to the punch like yours.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score

Next time I plan on selling something, I'm going to call them up and ask about it. Even if I have to buy a $20 strap or something, that's much better than paying eBay, Paypal, & UPS :eek:

justinreagin

Reaction score
Just a basic flip camcorder, can be had for 30 bucks or so at walmart. Nothing fancy as long it shoots basic clear video.

I don't do the craigslist thing to my house. I meet in a public place with cameras present. Bank parking lots, etc. I bought a little mini marshall battery powered amp for that, portable and it shows that the guitars work.

Also, as far as eBay fees, I often put in my ads that it is up for sale locally as well and they can contact me for a phone number for questions, videos, or additional photos. A lot of times a fair price can be negotiated on the side between the two parties and just cancel the auction and go through paypal. Buyer gets protection and you get to avoid Ebay fee rape.

Which camcorder did you buy?

I haven't sold much on eBay. The one problem I had was with a buyer who didn't pay and ignored my polite messages for five days or so. I opened a dispute or whatever with eBay. They contacted the buyer and he immediately sent the payment. I shipped the bass and never heard from him again. He never gave me feedback so I didn't leave him any.

I know it's an old thread but I have a question for MoshJosh. Why didn't you ship the guitar within 2 business days? As a buyer, I wouldn't give negative feedback over an extra day but it would be annoying if I'd have to wait over the weekend for something that should've arrived by Friday.

')