Bad habits you've developed from being a musician

• Thread starter Devyn Eclipse Nav
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
I sing guitar parts out loud. Like "shunt tuhn tuhn sicka skadoo da doo".

It annoys everyone around me except for my buddy Dan who does the exact same thing.

EDIT: ^ I guess I'm not alone. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TasmanSam

Reaction score
I make the guitar face at everything mildly exciting.

I also suffer from said finger tapping mentioned above :lol:

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
Another weird one of mine - I'm a wannabe drummer, so I'll constantly be tapping out drum beats from different songs on whatever I have in my hands at the moment (Table, desk, computer, guitar, and yes, even girlfriend.)

I do it so much that my girlfriend just kinda laughs it off whenever I start doing it again.

Maybe we should change this thread to "Bad habits you've developed from being a musician" because I know some of mine aren't guitar related. Most people sing in the shower. I do death growls and screams, too. It's where I've worked on my different techniques probably the most. That, and mowing the lawn :lol:

And of course, I've done the whole "picking your pants and air-guitaring" thing. Sometimes I'll actually have a pick and use my belt buckle as a pseudo-string to play.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
I get annoyed when people air guitar "incorrectly"... like, not doing a tapping motion when the solo is OBVS TAPPED OMG or strumming when it's totes alternate picking. Stupid shit like that.

ras1988

Reaction score
Mouthing off counts to songs I know well (especially odd time signatures). Indian counting cycles when listening to new music. Using my right hand to feel out the tempo and overall feel of music. Due to some frequency specific hearing loss I eq stereos a little different. Foot tapping, and the finger tapping. General preference for doing more dexterous activities with my fretting hand. Pant leg picking. Melodic humming to particular songs.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
I sing riffs, tap beats everywhere, air guitar, buy too much gear, neglect my woman for guitar... and I show off way too often. It's probably what inspired me to play guitar in the first place.

Don Vito

Reaction score
I pretend I'm using double kick pedals in public when I'm bored. People probably think I have some nerve disorder.

I also do the air guitar thing occasionally.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I get annoyed when people air guitar "incorrectly"... like, not doing a tapping motion when the solo is OBVS TAPPED OMG or strumming when it's totes alternate picking. Stupid shit like that.

So much this :lol:

I am almost constantly tapping a 5/4 kick rhythm with my thumb.

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score
I triple-pick with my mouth as in, I "sing" fear Factory or Sybreed riffs.

"brr brr brrrrrrrrrr brr brr chug chug brr brr brr 00000000000000000000"

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
I air guitar/bass/drums anything I might be listening to while I'm on the train to work :lol: Maybe some people have looked me funny but everyone seems to tired/sleepy/busy reading to notice, or care.

I'm also a table-top drummer, and from what I've heard, it's quite annoying :lol:

wrongnote85

Reaction score
i sometimes pay TOO much attention to my guitar, and not enough to my family.

there, i said it.

vstealth

Reaction score
I started strumming the side of my desk randomly like an idiot when I'm in class.
I used to do that at school too, used to bring guitar picks to play with or just pick the side of the desk when i wasnt writing.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
My social life has been totally ruined. I cant hang out with anyone who isnt a musician, because we can never seem to just get along. I have this habit where I HAVE to talk about gear all the time. I can talk about other stuff, too, but gear is always on my mind. And of course, me and my other guitarist are almost always growling when were hanging out together....or singing some of the stupidest songs together in a very satirical voice...especially when we break out the acoustics:squint: "you got a friend in me...you got a friend in me!" :lol:

Latest posts

')