Bad habits you've developed from being a musician

• Thread starter Devyn Eclipse Nav
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Ignoring people when they talk and listening to the music in my head instead... :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blake1970

Reaction score
It's not necessarily a bad habit but I live in seclusion, maybe I'm just in denial. I just shut everything out and pick up the guitar.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Double bass drum to songs, use my courier bag strap as a guitar while cycling home, "whisper-growling" along to tracks on said cycling trips...
Oh yeah, any time there's some sort of rythmic collective game (introductory games where people clap a custom pattern or something), I tend to go all meshuggah and just clap in in-human patterns.

Mexi

Reaction score
I also do the double bass drum with my feet which annoys the crap out of my wife. We might be sitting in the couch and watch something when I'll do this. The combination of tapping and creating vibrations is not something she likes!

this, I've been told that it looks like my legs are spazzing out lol

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
If I hear a sweet part of a song, everything around at the moment is ignored. Its a really bad habbit to have with a girl friend...

Im not ignoring people...i just think the riff is more important even if I have heard it 1,000,000 time :lol:

Murmel

Reaction score
the idea came to me when i noticed how after years of playing guitar that i could not seem to play a bass. id get bored and just end up trying to play leads or guitar riffs with a pick. i cant for the life of me get that 2 finger action going.

The trick is in not playing boring stuff.

isispelican

Reaction score
i always pretend that i have a pick in my hand and do some chug chug d***t d***t

Alpenglow

music and shat
Reaction score
double bass breakdown rhythms in class. On tile floors, it gets annoying. Also doing fingerings of solos or riffs on any surface. :lol:

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
I have this notion that other people actually care about advanced harmony, voicings, structure, polyphony, polychords, instrumentation etc.

They don't.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I can't listen to something around other people without commenting on things I find interesting or dumb about songs. I can hear a pop song and say, "Damn, that was actually really cool when they harmonized that part, I didn't expect a pop song to do that." More often, it's lame music on the radio. I love being pleasantly surprised by pop music, though. If I'm in a talkative mood, I'll start explaining to people various tidbits about music theory, in an effort to get them to feel excited as well.

Since the age of sixteen, I have been double kick pedalling everywhere, incessantly. I mean, every-fucking-where. I do it to any music, without noticing it. The weird thing is, I either do triplets or straight eighth notes. Never anything else. I don't need music to do it, either. I do it when I'm nervous or bored, or pretty much any time I'm not laying down or walking.

I don't do air guitar stuff, because I feel like it makes me look less competent than I am.

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
I have a couple of guitar-related ones like the tabletop tapping, but my worst and weirdest is this.

I taught myself Tuvan throat singing a while ago, both the sharp nasal overtone humming variety (khoomei) and the ultra-deep, one octave below bass style (kargyraa) that many people associate with Tibetan monks. Kargyraa especially is just so much fun to do; I once heard someone describe it as "a mouthful of sound" and that's really what it feels like, like standing in front of a guitar amp that's so loud it makes your trouser legs flap, but inside your own face. So I do it all the time, almost involuntarily. I especially like to do it on my bicycle for some reason -- I guess I imagine myself riding a small but tough horse through the vast Mongolian steppes or something. It gets surprisingly loud as well. Must be so weird to see me pass and hear "mmhhroOOOOOOOOOOOOOoomOOOOOwwhhrm"... But I just can't help myself.

Jontain

Reaction score
Playing guitar leads me to achieving very little...

i.e. my average day starts with going to work, listening to music while working, getting home from work and pick up guitar... FUCK, suddenly its way past my bedtime...

Repeat.

Reaction score
Everything :D Finger tapping, double bass pedalling when I'm sat down, air drumming along to songs that I love. I also do this thing where I rhythmically tap my teeth together. Sometimes I'll have a riff in my head and just start doing it really loudly, tends to weird people out. Also have a tendency to always point out something negative in a song that someone shows me. I also have the fucking annoying habit of coming up with sweet riffs in my head during conversations, and then totally phasing out.

otisct20

Reaction score
Everything :D Finger tapping, double bass pedalling when I'm sat down, air drumming along to songs that I love. I also do this thing where I rhythmically tap my teeth together. Sometimes I'll have a riff in my head and just start doing it really loudly, tends to weird people out. Also have a tendency to always point out something negative in a song that someone shows me. I also have the fucking annoying habit of coming up with sweet riffs in my head during conversations, and then totally phasing out.

ALL of this. Every single bit of it haha

')