Bad Monkey vs every other boost pedal.

• Thread starter Luke Acacia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
OD808 or Hardwire CM-2, love those pedals

the CM-2 has a little more flexibility for tone shaping than the OD808 for tone shaping before it hits the preamp

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hated this one... I got one because it was cheap but it turned me off of OD/Boosts for a long time. It was essentially garbage for me. Even as an actual OD it sounded rough, worse than just running my clean tube channels hot enough to break up. Everything changed when I got a Maxon.

The Classic OD is the exact same pedal as the MXR GT-OD in one mode and exactly the same as the MXR ZW-44 in the other mode (there is an internal switch on the circuit board). All three pedals share the exact same guts. The only difference is the name and the casing.

BadSeed

Reaction score
I had tthe bad monkey before I understood what it we supposed to be used for on a high gain amp. Tightening and brightening. Now that I have a couple other od pedals such as Macon od808, ts9 and joyo vintage overdive (which sounds damn close to the od808) and understand their purpose in boosting, I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it. Plus there's a quick mod that lets more highs though and makes the pedal sound muffled.

If didn't have a an MXR custom badass od and colossal modded sd1/808 on my the way to my house, I'd pick up another bad monkey!

Reaction score
Im in Australia so the chances of me getting one new for $40 are very low and finding one second hand will probably take years!
Although the ones on ebay for $60 look great, I swear when I looked the other day the cheapest was $90 though :scratch:

Cheers for the help guys!

FooBAR

n00bling
Reaction score
Im in Australia so the chances of me getting one new for $40 are very low and finding one second hand will probably take years!
Although the ones on ebay for $60 look great, I swear when I looked the other day the cheapest was $90 though :scratch:

Cheers for the help guys!

Dude...if you're gonna spend $90 on a boost pedal, buy my Danelectro Wasabi OD (I'm in Melbourne).

Heaps, HEAPS more tweakable than most ODs...and a much, MUCH better buy than a Bad Monkey at $90. :noplease:

Or just wait for a Bad Monkey at around ~$60.
Here are a few I found within a few seconds of searching on eBay (NONE of these are mine, incase someone thinks I'm breaking a forum rule or whatever):
Digitech Bad Monkey Guitar Tube Overdrive Pedal (NEW) | eBay
DigiTech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Pedal | eBay
Digitech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive Pedal - Authorised Australian Dealer | eBay

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
For the short time I've had my Bad Monkey, I've really loved it. I had a chance to compare it to a TS9, and the Bad Monkey (In my opinion) seriously outdid the TS9. Not only that, it was crazily cheap. I got mine for a $25 Guitar Center giftcard in a trade with a friend, used on Craigslist & Ebay I saw some as low as $30, and new it's like $45.

PF Chang

Reaction score
I've only found one demo of the new BBE Gus G Screamer...

I want to try it.

Latest posts

')