Badlands Guitars, another youtuber brand

• Thread starter OmegaSlayer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Here it is,
from Phillip McKnight and The Tone King

First piece of gear
1674106704059.png

Stuff is full USA made, in Southern California
Price is NOT affordable, at $ 2499

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Oh great, another strat-style guitar.
How very unique and groundbreaking into uncharted territory, even comes with the promise of "an experience" and some Youtuber's name attached.
image.png

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Shit, I basically like it. Not that I buy new guitars anymore.
I like it too as I will always like any derivative or even carbon copy of a Strat or Tele but can also get behind why some are bored with clones.

At those prices though, would you rather not buy one straight from Fender? Or are people paying more for mods that Fender doesn't like to do?

That is a question btw, not a statement. You know your shit and I can see it from the far distance.

[Which Strat or Tele would you buy that would suit metal more and be bang for the buck if you had to pick one model of each? Sorry if this derails, I'll be happy to open it's own thread or pm you and edit my comment out of the question, btw. Been really curious lately.]

Last edited:

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
in my limited experience watching his videos, i'd trust phil mcknight over 90%+ other guitar youtubers. he seems like he understands specs/construction/tech work more than most

edit: guitar looks ok, but boring. nothing outrageous about it to be upset about imo

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Considering how much (*how little) space is left in that place, it would be quite the accomplishment if you managed to fit one more instrument there.

I'm trying to downsize if anyone would buy my stuff lol

But ya, re: the guitar, I love the Tyler ultimate weapon headstock so they had me there. And I like the 80s stuff where everything was those spaced lines, so they have me there too. The board and inlays are too much on top of all that, but in the scope of things, I don't find it as bad as like Jericho Guitars or something.

narad

Reaction score
[Which Strat or Tele would you buy that would suit metal more and be bang for the buck if you had to pick one model of each? Sorry if this derails, I'll be happy to open it's own thread or pm you and edit my comment out of the question, btw. Been really curious lately.]
I mean, it's me, so... ESP :D I have 3 ESP strats that are all geared around metal, in this vibe with the floyd. For teles, I probably wouldn't tele for metal but the jim root stuff seems awesome, WIrebird if they were still around.

Used m-series/jp-made valley arts guitars would be cool strats, too. That's basically how I spec out the ESPs.

Last edited:

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
I don't find it as bad as like Jericho Guitars or something.
Totally understandable from both a recent design and stonks standpoint, especially when he went off the deep end by putting Warmoth necks on what used to his reasonably priced guitars that Balaguers resemble. Only to go in the opposite direction of the 'reasonable pricing' and triple down on those at $9000 apiece.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
WIrebird if they were still around.
4c60def6163bd79486cc8cd18ccdeb37.jpg

I'm in love. What is that line of coke on that neck pick up called? It's not just a version of single coil is it? I feel like someone's answered this for me before. It probably is cause it's next to the neck.
I mean, it's me, so... ESP :D I have 3 ESP strats that are all geared around metal, in this vibe with the floyd. For teles, I probably wouldn't tele for metal but the jim root stuff seems awesome,
I've seen a lot of those when I was researching and came across metal strat forum where some had ESP strats.

I've been digging them myself, most I came across online look very true to originals while also looking like an improvement. I'm mostly basic, so I just want a sunburst Strat but that Tele I linked is awesome, maybe just a solid yellow Tele with black pickups would do. Thanks for the response!

manu80

Reaction score
Like the retro-look vibe. Nothing really different from a Friedman or else, we'll see. Still, THAT Price for an unknown piece of gear is a bit suprising but if it's USA made, well sounds logical with nowadays price....(If it's made in USA and not assembled there....)

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get the hate.

If these are made well they'll be nice. I wonder what shop is making these. Grover?
No hate from me, it's just that I didn't expect youtubers to market stuff over $ 1500, and to produce in USA instead of Cortek or WMI.
It's a bold move, I respect it.
As for the guitar...I don't think it's exceptional, but surely it's not ugly.

narad

Reaction score
4c60def6163bd79486cc8cd18ccdeb37.jpg

I'm in love. What is that line of coke on that neck pick up called? It's not just a version of single coil is it? I feel like someone's answered this for me before. It probably is cause it's next to the neck.

I've seen a lot of those when I was researching and came across metal strat forum where some had ESP strats.

I've been digging them myself, most I came across online look very true to originals while also looking like an improvement. I'm mostly basic, so I just want a sunburst Strat but that Tele I linked is awesome, maybe just a solid yellow Tele with black pickups would do. Thanks for the response!

Man, don't post that -- I had a shot a second build mimicking that and didn't have the cash at the time to go for it :'( I forgot how beautiful it was.

The neck pickup is called a charlie christian pickup.

')