Badlands Guitars, another youtuber brand

• Thread starter OmegaSlayer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Why is Phil seeming to word his involvement a bit different than everyone else? He kept phrasing it along the lines of "I helped this come to light/fruition" and never really said that he was "co owner" or anything like that. Anyone have any word on that?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why is Phil seeming to word his involvement a bit different than everyone else? He kept phrasing it along the lines of "I helped this come to light/fruition" and never really said that he was "co owner" or anything like that. Anyone have any word on that?

Because he might not be an owner, as owning the actual business, and just an employee/advisor.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Because he might not be an owner, as owning the actual business, and just an employee/advisor.

On the site about section it says he's co-owner.

But ya, a thing that irks me is the 12th fret inlay. Like it's the usual sunset 80s circle with lines thing, but jeez, what direction do you want the lines to go, guys? You've got a splayed sort of line motif on the bottom, a splayed line motif on the headstock in a different ratio that can't continue from the body, and a horizontal even line spacing on the 12th fret, which is also just weird in terms of everything being a dot and the 12th fret being basically a big dot.

It's not hard to be consistent in your patterns and design language... why does it seem guitar makers never got the memo? Like imagine what the nightswan would be like if the polka dots on the body were different sizes than the ones on the headstock, and the 12th fret was yet another variation of polka dot different from all the rest.

Last edited:

mpexus

Reaction score
The Graphics on that thing the OP Posted are ATROCIOUS!!!!!! This is why Brands hire Designers ;)

Reactions: LCW

spudmunkey

Reaction score
The Graphics on that thing the OP Posted are ATROCIOUS!!!!!! This is why Brands hire Designers ;)
Eh, that's one of the aspects I least have issues with. I get what they are going for, and I think it works. I've even come around in the headstock. For me, I'm not super in to the aged tinted maple, the use of red for the inlays, and the non-floating trem (though I'm the wrong guy to actually have an opinion on trems).

For what they were trying to do, I think they hit the nail on the head, and for that, I appreciate it for what it is...but it isn't for me.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Now that I've actually looked at it I'm in the same boat. Not for me but kind of an interesting and unique offering.

Some different color schemes would be cool if they make anything else.

spudmunkey

Reaction score

I put on his next episode of his podcast show, and he brought up a related topic.

He pointed out that press about the guitar keeps reporting the same thing this post title does: that it's a "youtuber brand" because it's a click-bait-y headline, but made the point that he and TKK were both, like, probably the least-involved of the 4 "owners" as far as "owners/operators" and were more like collaborators, so he doesn't like talking about it like it's "his company". He bobbed and weaved around saying exactly what his role was, but minimized it a bit.

I don't think it's that he's trying to avoid discolsing that, but trying to minimize the idea that it's "his" company.

He also mentioned that their target was something like 3-13 guitars, and 20-50 was some far-off pipedream, and as of that podcast, they had sold 15 (12 with Floyds, 3 with hardtails, all right-handed).

Trashgreen

Reaction score
I feel like for the target demographics, this'll be in tough competition with the new MIA Jacksons (~$2k IIRC) and on the other side by the higher end USA Charvels. Hard to see them having a competitive advantage in that spread.

Please remember these guitars are not meant to compete with other brands..

They are limited custom runs, made to order with an upper limit. If only 10 are ordred within the timeframe then only 10 of the specific design will be made.. and once they are made the design will be gone forever!

These are not like regular production offerings, they are limited runs made to order for those who want to buy one and only a very few designs will be offered per year!

Video with close-up shots of the first Badlands guitar and some info from some dude:

ThunderUnderground

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I quite like these, i wont be buying one myself but the attention to detail and parts selection seems on point. 👍

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

They are limited custom runs, made to order with an upper limit. If only 10 are ordred within the timeframe then only 10 of the specific design will be made.. and once they are made the design will be gone forever!

These are not like regular production offerings, they are limited runs made to order for those who want to buy one and only a very few designs will be offered per year!

Are you being sarcastic?

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like for the target demographics, this'll be in tough competition with the new MIA Jacksons (~$2k IIRC) and on the other side by the higher end USA Charvels. Hard to see them having a competitive advantage in that spread.
The new USA Jackson is like 2799 MSRP.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score

Video with close-up shots of the first Badlands guitar and some info from some dude:

This reminds me of when people buy one of the axe palace runs and then try to sell it later saying “ONLY ONE OF TEN MADE!”

OldMate

Riff Pig
Reaction score
These look super interesting but yeah, not for me.

Interesting how their FAQ has "Who builds your guitars? Who winds your pickups?" as an entry, but they really don't give you any more context in their answer.

')