Badlands Guitars, another youtuber brand

• Thread starter OmegaSlayer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
There's just something I don't dig on these. It's probably just the pictures, since Holoflash is a pain in the ass to photograph.

Maybe it looks more like this in person:

View attachment 128747

I dig that much more.
Spector always did the best holoflashes in my opinion. They always made it look like one uniform piece vs a smeared-on mess. Even looks better than a lot of original Kramers lol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Spector always did the best holoflashes in my opinion. They always made it look like one uniform piece vs a smeared-on mess. Even looks better than a lot of original Kramers lol.
I'm not very familiar with them, but looking at what comes up in an GIS, I whole-heartedly disagree...I much prefer the sort of "brushstroke" or "collage" style to the "one-piece" look...and there seems to be a pretty good mix of the two from Spector:

upload_2019-6-23_15-36-57-jpeg.3454454

1691449249760.png

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
Sold out.

I'm in for one. The first graphic didn't do anything for me, but I've always wanted a holoflash guitar and I couldn't pass up the fact that they are offering these left handed.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
It looked a lot better in the video than in the pic mockup to me. Not worth buying, but I guess worth buying for someone so that's all that matters.

Still very curious about who is throwing down this much cash for these. And if they shipped the previous ones, I've never seen anyone post one, show it in a video, or otherwise talk about it.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Yeah this definitely looked much better in the McKnight video. Glad they seem to be doing well.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
Still very curious about who is throwing down this much cash for these.

That would be me :lol: Funny thing is that I don't really know any of these YouTubers. I finally watched them for the first time AFTER putting the money down.

I just liked the specs and there really isn't anything else equivalent that is US made for a lefty. I've been through the custom shop process with Jackson many times and I doubt they would build this for me at this point. Even if they did, it would cost at least twice as much and take years. And none my existing CS Jacksons or Charvels are in need of a refinish.

So even with a funky headstock, a US made guitar with holoflash for less than $3K that is delivered in under a year is a win for me...assuming it doesn't suck.

Of course, I donated about that much to BRJ's retirement fund so I'm not always known for making the best decisions :lol:

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
It is nice to see boutique stuff like this working out. Chubtone and Luxxtone are doing well with a similar concept, albeit more traditional in many ways.
I forgot about Chubtone! Good to hear they're still doing builds.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
It's hard to knock their business model when they sell out at the price they're asking.

But I don't think their business model would be scalable. I think they likely hit on the perfect production run of 100. If they made 1000 over the course of the year I'd wager the majority would go unsold at the asking price.

But the combination of youtube influencers, limited availability, now-factor (FOMO), and having a decent finger on the pulse for specs all worked in their favor.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But I don't think their business model would be scalable. I think they likely hit on the perfect production run of 100. If they made 1000 over the course of the year I'd wager the majority would go unsold at the asking price.

But the combination of youtube influencers, limited availability, now-factor (FOMO), and having a decent finger on the pulse for specs all worked in their favor.
I don't think it matters if it's scalable in this case. But, yeah, limited market for sure.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
I can report an overwhelmingly helpful response from Badlands, including The Tone King.

Phrases included "we're mortified this happened", "our sincere apologies", and "we will make it right." A masterclass in how to handle an honest mistake. Quick responses and a quick resolution plan. Fingers crossed I should have the right (lefty) one next week.

In the meantime, I took a quick pic before packing it back up. These look really cool in person.

processed-206744C2-733A-4F40-96C6-506D11BFA789.jpg

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
WTF is going on with the bass edge of frets 14-17? Looks gnawed on, hope that's just a photographic quirk because the rest looks bad ass.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
I can report an overwhelmingly helpful response from Badlands, including The Tone King.

Phrases included "we're mortified this happened", "our sincere apologies", and "we will make it right." A masterclass in how to handle an honest mistake. Quick responses and a quick resolution plan. Fingers crossed I should have the right (lefty) one next week.

In the meantime, I took a quick pic before packing it back up. These look really cool in person.

View attachment 143145

Any updates on your left handed?

These look so nice, specially if some nostalgia is active 😅

')