Ballpark price range for replacing volume knob with killswitch?

pastanator

electronic musician
Reaction score
hey guys, so I have a BC Rich Stealth with a single pickup and a single volume knob. The knob is either on full or off all the time so i want to just replace the knob with a killswitch. my question is... any of you guys had a killswitch installed? and how much does something like that cost?

thanks for any answers :]

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JustinG60

Reaction score
i'm not sure the issue would be cost... part and probably $60 shop's labor for an hour ...but you may run into diameter issued with it going through the body? unless i am stupid and it goes through a pickguard than my estimate it probably accurate

pastanator

electronic musician
Reaction score
i kind of have to assume someone would make switches to fit in slots that aren't on a pickguard, though i could be very wrong lol

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
wiring a killswitch isnt very hard and i doubt the components would run you more than 15 bucks lol.
find someone to lend you a soldering iron, watch some youtube videos and go ham on your guitar, tbh with your configuration theres not much (if at all) to mess up and you'll learn in the process :D

snowblind56

Reaction score
A single switch is not hard to wire, nor will it take much time. It would most likely be $15-$30 tops for labor and whatever the switch costs.

Metlupass2

Reaction score
If you cut the wrong wire it will blow up....be very careful my friend be very careful.

ShiftKey

SS.org irregular
Reaction score
:)
It really is rather simple to do,also there is the option of getting a shadow kill pot,its still a volume knob but also a momentary push pot that you can use as a kill switch, I have two and they work very well,assuming you would still like a volume pot.

Senior

Reaction score
$1.50, maybe $1.75 if you count the solder and 2.65 minutes it will take.

desmondtencents

Plays With Wood!
Reaction score
Depending on the guitar you may have to drill out the hole that the volume pot uses. Most toggle switches (assuming you'll use a toggle) need a larger diameter hole to fit through. I've done this on a few guitars and always had good luck. I typically use progressively larger drill bits and do it by hand to avoid any high-speed drill destruction.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
Its a job you can do for a few bucks, in a few minutes with basically no experience other than watching a youtube vid that the shop will try to charge you 75 bucks for.

I dont understand why people who play guitar go to techs. The information is out there and its everywhere. Know your instrument and your gear. Just fix it yourself.

Latest posts