Bamboo as a guitar wood?

• Thread starter IGC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Laminated bamboo is very strong and sturdy, and there's the feel-good perk of using an environmentally friendly option. It doesn't have the corksniffing appeal of more traditional options, but it's viable.

That said, the quality of available laminates varies widely. Species, age, grain, where on the plant your bamboo comes from (lower to the ground is better), moisture content control, proper glue application and finishing, etc. Delamination is very possible in low quality laminates, but a good one should last a very, very long time.

"Grass vs wood" is misleading in two ways: it doesn't lend itself to considering the particular properties of bamboo, and we're talking about a laminate. Strand woven bamboo laminates are harder than oak.

Sure. I mostly just meant they have different structures, so I would assume they have different strength properties in different directions. But I'm far from an expert.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Frankly, I wouldn't care if the material came from a weed or a tree or from seaweed. If it's strong, it's strong. If it's machinable, it's machinable.

IGC

Reaction score
Frankly, I wouldn't care if the material came from a weed or a tree or from seaweed. If it's strong, it's strong. If it's machinable, it's machinable.

Weed, hemp fiber boards? Hemp fiber board guitars! Sounds like a new thread idea...

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Weed, hemp fiber boards? Hemp fiber board guitars! Sounds like a new thread idea...

Honestly it probably would work, with the right resin. Would be a lot like carbon fiber. In fact it would almost literally BE carbon fiber.

IGC

Reaction score
Honestly it probably would work, with the right resin. Would be a lot like carbon fiber. In fact it would almost literally BE carbon fiber.

Same only with that natural hemp fiber element.Then bind the fibers together with an all natural resin. Green guitars :D

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
The highest end, most austere, cork-sniffing fly rods (for sport fishing) in the world are all bamboo and many vintage bamboo rods are still in use with no splintering issues whatsoever fwiw.

TuffyKohler

sawdust generator
Reaction score
Bamboo neck with hemp fiber board body. It would be grass neck and grass body :lol:

Pretty close. E koa. Sustainable.

blk-elcapi-1500-2.jpg

TuffyKohler

sawdust generator
Reaction score
I've had a bamboo board in my shop for awhile now. Had plans on a cigar box guitar for starters. Never got around to using it. Been considering making cutting boards out of it lately.

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
I have a bamboo cutting board.

IGC

Reaction score
My dad used to swat me and my big sister with a bamboo swat stick, it was the worst left welts, we all ways dreaded that thing. :eek:

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
The highest end, most austere, cork-sniffing fly rods (for sport fishing) in the world are all bamboo and many vintage bamboo rods are still in use with no splintering issues whatsoever fwiw.

And that's exactly why I see no point in using it as tonewood. It's both quite heavy (700kg/m^3) and extremely elastic. For guitar building, I'd prefer light and stiff.

IGC

Reaction score
The bamboo fly rod is long, skinny, hollow, and for the most part in its natural state. Could the more refined dense compressed layers similar to bamboo cutting boards be potentially stiffer? It's use in the making of UKE's has been pointed out, so that means you could probably make an acoustic from bamboo and really get the full effect of its tonewood props.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
The flexibility is an interesting question. Searching around the Internet for differences between maple and bamboo, you mostly find articles about skateboards and snowboards. Interestingly, the skateboard-related articles describe bamboo decks as being more rigid and lighter than maple. And yet the snowboards are apparently very very bendy (though they may have been comparing it to fiberglass or something other than wood).

This one actually does a flex test. Shows it to be really really flexible when it is thin, and rigid when it isn't.
http://www.bamboo-board.com/2012/04/bamboo-plywood/bamboo-versus-maple-plywood-boards

So I guess we'll see.

IGC

Reaction score
The flexibility is an interesting question. Searching around the Internet for differences between maple and bamboo, you mostly find articles about skateboards and snowboards. Interestingly, the skateboard-related articles describe bamboo decks as being more rigid and lighter than maple. And yet the snowboards are apparently very very bendy (though they may have been comparing it to fiberglass or something other than wood).

This one actually does a flex test. Shows it to be really really flexible when it is thin, and rigid when it isn't.
http://www.bamboo-board.com/2012/04/bamboo-plywood/bamboo-versus-maple-plywood-boards

So I guess we'll see.

Looks like the bamboo deck passed the ollie impossible and foot stomp test- fascinating!

')