Bamboo as a guitar wood?

• Thread starter IGC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IGC

Reaction score
Was walking through my kitchen and couldn't help but notice the very nicely made kitchen knife holder the knife set my father in law just gave us came in. It appears to be made from bamboo and all the carpentry joints etc are perfect.
Has anyone here ever heard of bamboo being used for guitar making ...electric?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

runbirdman

Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy
Reaction score
I think Relish Guitars uses bamboo for some of their models if I'm not mistaken. Those guitars are pretty innovative in terms of construction and electronics. I have no idea what specific effect the bamboo has on the tone though.

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
http://www.cycfi.com/projects/home/

It's been done, though a little more rare. It's bound to be a loborous process, because of having to get enough strips wide and thick enough to be laminated into the size of stock needed. It'd probably make a very stiff neck.

I thought about trying to make one before. Bamboo stock can be found easily enough, just didn't feel like precisely milling down a dozen perfect little strips to glue them together into a neck blank sized slab.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
Tom Drinkwater of Oakland Axe Factory has used a lot of Bamboo for his guitars, mainly guitar necks.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I like this idea.

.... Aaaaaand I just ordered a bamboo board for the neck of my next headless build. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

lewis

Reaction score
tumblr_n86tdr7fqp1tbozdno1_1280.jpg

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
Did you know bamboo is not wood...it's actually a grass. The largest grass in fact.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
... It's bound to be a loborous process, because of having to get enough strips wide and thick enough to be laminated into the size of stock needed ...Bamboo stock can be found easily enough ...

It's not easy to find, but there's a number of sources of bamboo "sheets", blocks and even "2x4", both in "end grain" and "long grain".

The last time I looked, was about 1-1/2 years ago. The thought I had was to get a bamboo "end grain" butcher block for the body blank, and "2x4"s for the neck. The neck or body could also be made from a sheet of "plyboo" -- 2-3 pieces laminated for the body, and 3-5 strips laminated for the neck.

')