Bands and local promoter shit housery...

projectjetfire

Guitar Addict
Reaction score
I'm posting this in what I believe to be a reasonably safe space, where ever possible I will make anonymous some people. However, it's quite a lengthy story full of shithousery....

So, recently I have joined a female fronted, 5 piece original band. We have two guitarist (and I'm currently one of them), a female bassist, a drummer and a female vocalist. The band itself have been going for a few years, but went silent after COVID so they are restarting everything. The singer and guitarist are original members, everyone else is "new". They have a FB page going back to 2017, a fair few gigs, photos,videos etc.

The bassist was up until recently in this band and another band but has recently left the other band to work solely in this new band that I'm in. The lead singer of the bassists previous band has been accused of r@pe and has gone to court awaiting trial. Ergo, since May they have been looking for a singer, no gigs obviously. The guitarist (who I will called Doug) of this band, runs a number of local promotions companies putting shows on etc. He has his own one and another he is jointly running along with what I believe to be a couple of fake profiles, proclaiming to be promoters. Before the bassist left, there was quite a stink about her not being able to go to two practises but it appeared ok for the drummer to not to be able to attend the next 5. She felt this was the final straw and said she was leaving. Doug then said he was leaving after an epic length message in the WhatsApp chat and bounced.

A week or so before this, Doug and the singer of my band had been messaging, saying they were looking forward to working with us etc etc. After Doug announced his department, my singer gets a message saying that "Due to having a band member who has a connection with a potential criminal, we won't be able to work with you as a band, venues don't like that type of thing etc". This was last Sunday so we discussed it as band and agreed it was all good, lots of other promoters etc. we set up new social media accounts, started posting teasers in FB of a return etc. The bassist had previously said that Doug was checking her LinkedIn account on a nearly daily basis, which was a red flag even before he said he couldn't work with us.

A few days later, we have a unknown social media account comment on one of our Instagram accounts basically tagging someone and saying "this is them, there's allegations about one of the members previous bands, they are causing trouble for venues etc". So I Snapshot it and deleted it. The tagged account had replied saying thanks for the warningthe profile didnt have any content really etc etc

Today (while I'm on holiday), I get a message from the bassist saying three people.had left negative reviews on the band FB page saying pretty much as the other account had, all vile stuff. One of Doug's promotion companies (,his joint own one) replying to a comment saying thanks for the warning. The band has now shut down the FB page, closed all social media and three of us have deactivated our FB accounts. We have tried to speak to the other business own but no reply. (update, he doesnt care, and has said the bassist shouldnt be "telling tales" and its nothing to do with him...)

I literally don't know what to say but I'd dare say that Doug is behind it all. I'm furious for so many reasons but mostly as this will probably finish any chance of the band doing anything.

What do you even do in these circumstances?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Salty former members are definitely a thing. It has never happened to me personally, but a few friends have dealt with it.

Don't rape anyone else for at least 90 days and things will probably just blow over either way.

projectjetfire

Guitar Addict
Reaction score
As long as he doesnt try and stir shit with promoters, it'll be fine...
He doesnt seem to get that both my bassist AND HE were in the same band, so if anyone wanted to drag his name into it all and cast the same dispersions on him too, then it could happen too! (but as a band we've agreed not to do that)

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
How much sway does this dweeb really have? Have you actually lost any opportunities or is he just trolling your socials? He runs a promotion "business," so fucking what, do your own promotion or work with someone else.

You've made the right call agreeing not to drag his name, regardless of what he's doing.

It could be worth making a statement along the lines of "we don't condone this individual's actions or associate with them in any way," but I have a hard time imagining anyone with half a brain taking what "Doug" is saying seriously.

The sad truth is it would be more noteworthy if one of your band members hadn't been in a band with a sex offender at some point. Music scenes be like that, and it's no big secret. If it's anything like where I live, everyone will shun the offender for a year or two while he goes into hiding and then conveniently start to forget it happened.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
I'd ignore it until it goes away. If you can shut of commenting or moderate comments, then do so. If you guy's think he's a dipshit then others probably think he's a dipshit too. I'd avoid making any comments on social media (don't put anything in writing that you don't want to come back to haunt you).

If it doesn't go away... I'd pay a visit to his house and go old school, then write a song about it to commemorate the event and rub it in his face.

Reaction score
make a statement is really all you can do. Falling In Reverse still play huge shows, As I Lay Dying is still playing arenas, Jimmy Page worship never let up, etc.

How much sway does this dweeb really have? Have you actually lost any opportunities or is he just trolling your socials? He runs a promotion "business," so fucking what, do your own promotion or work with someone else.

You've made the right call agreeing not to drag his name, regardless of what he's doing.

It could be worth making a statement along the lines of "we don't condone this individual's actions or associate with them in any way," but I have a hard time imagining anyone with half a brain taking what "Doug" is saying seriously.

The sad truth is it would be more noteworthy if one of your band members hadn't been in a band with a sex offender at some point. Music scenes be like that, and it's no big secret. If it's anything like where I live, everyone will shun the offender for a year or two while he goes into hiding and then conveniently start to forget it happened.
+1 on this. Make a statement about it, don't try to hide it, detach yourselves from the offender. Condemn the action/felony but not the accused, you are not judge nor court, have it clear. Then let the comments flow free. Words belong to those who use them so use them wisely, if you engage in shit-shows... let those comments be free and decline responsibilities on trolls' ones. If you can't find words to reply, reply nothing. Silence is better than most replies and it leaves the shit talkers with the shit in their hands (mouths).

Ignore the trolls, but don't ignore the interesting comments...

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
And I would absolutely point out that the promoter was also in the band with the guy. He gets a pass but your band doesnt? Gtfo.

Also, what are the slander laws where you are?

')