Bands Like Meshuggah

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
they also use 8 strings in F standard, and the only other band I know of that uses that tuning is guess who?
That's an outlandishly weak argument. F standard just means that they tune down half a step, which is hardly revolutionary. If, for example, Nevermore started playing 8-strings, they would almost certainly be in F standard. Would that mean that Nevermore sounded like Meshuggah? I seriously don't hear any similarity between the two, aside from occasional syncopated breakdowns which don't even sound that much like Meshuggah.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
That's an outlandishly weak argument. F standard just means that they tune down half a step, which is hardly revolutionary. If, for example, Nevermore started playing 8-strings, they would almost certainly be in F standard. Would that mean that Nevermore sounded like Meshuggah? I seriously don't hear any similarity between the two, aside from occasional syncopated breakdowns which don't even sound that much like Meshuggah.

your post seems somewhat ironic given the first sentence.

you've singled out one part of my post that on it's own, yes is weak. read it in context however, maybe even listen to both bands and you will see that I am not wrong.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
your post seems somewhat ironic given the first sentence.

you've singled out one part of my post that on it's own, yes is weak. read it in context however, maybe even listen to both bands and you will see that I am not wrong.
I HAVE listened to both bands. Why are you having so much trouble understanding that?

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I HAVE listened to both bands. Why are you having so much trouble understanding that?

I didn't mean Nevermore and Meshuggah, I meant After The Burial and Meshuggah.

there is no denying Meshuggah's influence on After The Burial. saying that After The Burial don't deliberately try to sound like Meshuggah is like saying that the sky is green, it's just blatantly not true.

John_Strychnine

I Was Once Groove.
Reaction score
Meshuggah opened the doors to a new genre of music, it's so different and out there that this was bound to happen sooner or later.

ATB are influenced by Meshuggah but sound nothing like them in my opinion of course.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
Meshuggah opened the doors to a new genre of music, it's so different and out there that this was bound to happen sooner or later.

ATB are influenced by Meshuggah but sound nothing like them in my opinion of course.

exactly what i've been trying to say...

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
I think Fragment are the most Meshuggah sounding band i've heard.

Their "unknown" 2002 Ep was recorded by Fredrik Thordendal and even has a guest solo from the man himself.

fragment - metal band -

Never heard of them before, thanks for the link. :metal:

After listening to some of their ep, they definitely sound a lot like Meshuggah, which song was Frederik a guest on? (I am sure it would be obvious if I heard it, but I didn't get the chance to listen to all of it)

matttttYCE

Reaction score
right... so ATB's sound doesn't bear any semblance to Meshuggah's then? :nuts:

Don't worry, Scar, I hear it too. And more than just the "oh they're a little influenced by Meshuggah, and only barely sound a little bit like em". I've only started listening to Meshuggah in the last month, while I've been listening to ATB since like early 2007. And when I was first hearing shuggah, THE FIRST thing that came to mind was "huh, so that's who alot of that ATB material was influenced by"!

')