Bands MOST enhanced by their lyrics?

• Thread starter Metaguitarist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tool
Meshuggah
The Faceless
Lamb Of God
Gojira
Nevermore (sometimes gets cheesy)
Old Megadeth and Metallica
Shinedown (Us and Them album, new stuff is pretty lame)
Devin Townsend's stuff

Mostly in agreement here :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Greyvy

Reaction score
Tenacious D, their lyrics speak to me on such a spiritual level

Totally miss the honesty
And special times, and honestly
I totally miss the fucked up thing ya do

I cry every time.

J7string

Reaction score
Opeth, Agalloch, Eluveitie, Nevermore (not so much The Obsidian Conspiracy), Wolves In the Throne Room, Dimmu Borgir, Rosetta, Insomnium, Iced Earth (Matt Barrlow is the man), Fen... I know a bunch lol.

mithologian

Reaction score
BTBAM's Parallax 1 and 2 would not be near as epic as they are without the story. The fact that the storay had been established back in the silent circus blew my mind.

Polythoral

Hipster Mustaine
Reaction score
Protest The Hero's 'Kezia.'

also Mastodon - Crack The Skye

edit: also MOFUCKIN' COHEED.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Pig Destroyer, Deathspell Omega, Ulcerate.

Also, bands with bad grammar and poor vocabulary irritate me. I hate the whole "you keep saying that word but I don't think you know what it means"-vibe most metal bands give off.

TheFerryMan

Sauvage
Reaction score
Lamb of God (even moreso with the newer albums, Randy has a true way with words)
Devin Townsend
Callisto (post metal band, with some awesome lyrics)
Oh, Sleeper (The lyrics for Children of fire are some of the best, in my opinion)
Any faith based band, person reasons for that one.

Divinehippie

ESaD ;)
Reaction score
i'd have to say Every Time I Die. Keith has such a way with words (being an english major probably helps). the music isn't all that bad but a little basic. i had first started listening to hem when my ex GF picked up New Junk Aesthetic on a whim (she liked the cover) and wasn't overly impressed. but after repeated listens and a few active listenings i found myself loving his lyrics. now i'm a rather big fan of that band and it was 100% the lyrics that

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Cattle Decapitation, they make really a good point, and the vocal delivery is absolutley fucking atrocious (in a good way).

Murmel

Reaction score
I listen to a lot of Japanese stuff, which I obviously can't understand at all, but I enjoy it anyway.

Though I have noticed how a few songs have really hit me more after I looked up their translated lyrics.

Greyvy

Reaction score
On a more serious note, definitely Agalloch

Here at the edge of this world
Here I gaze at a pantheon of oak, a citadel of stone
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God...
Then God is not dead
I walked down to a river and sat in reflection of what had to be done An offering of crimson flowed into the water below A wound of spirit from which it floated and faded away

like every hope I've ever had
like every dream I've ever known
It washed away in a tide of longing, a longing for a better world From my will, my throat, to the river, and into the sea
wash away, fade away.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Oh well, also Lord Worm era Cryptopsy has really good lyrics, it definitely helps that Lord Worm is an english teacher.

Captain_Awesome

Cloudwalker
Reaction score
Dir en grey and MUCC - they have some beautifully crafted lyrics and it's nice to understand what they're saying!

Zei

Reaction score
To be honest, lyrics never did much for me but as for bands where they enhanced? Cynic, Symphony X, Volumes, some Periphery songs... I tend to just listen to guitar and the way the music interacts with everything else (the voice as melody rather than emotional delivery etc.).

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Liekly will get flak for this but Metallica lyrics are pretty good, if we don't count some furniture based oopsies.
And then Maiden, ofc.

')