Bands MOST enhanced by their lyrics?

• Thread starter Metaguitarist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
Lyrics dont matter. It could be a song about puppies and butterflies, but as long as its a good song its a good song. I find that if the music is good enough, you dont need lyrics anyway.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
+1 to Every Time I Die, Keith's lyrics are awesome.

now other than ETID and Converge i don't much like a lot of hardcore (its either too bro, too scene, or too crew) not a lot pushes intellectual or musical boundaries.

But i got introduced to Letlive, and it completely changed my opinion on post-hardcore and how their is room for talent and creativity.

now the music itself may not push the envelope in every song, but the singer and lyricist is amazing! his lyrics make the record, even some of the filler songs he makes interesting

some of my favorites off the new album:

<-- love the play on "my country tis of thee)

<-- this one is fantastic

<-- on first listen, an angsty teenage love song. read the lyrics it becomes the best complicated love story ever.

like i said, he even makes the filler better:
<-- the most boring song on the album IMO when compared to the others. feels recycled.. until you get til the end and he does his "back of the bus" segment. suddenly this shit memorable.

if you're new to these guys and are listening, i suggest opening another tab, finding the lyrics, and reading along

piggins411

Reaction score
A few of my favorites:
BTBAM
Modest Mouse
Ben Folds Five
Bomb the Music Industry!
Queens of the Stone Age
Why?

Brodessa

Like a Lion.
Reaction score
Not sure if it's just Metal, but I'll change it up a bit...

Modest Mouse has some of the most interesting and well-written lyrics I've ever heard. They're one of those groups that can make anyone stop to focus on what's being said, and absorb it.
Trophy Scars is another one for me. Those guys lean to and from Post-Hardcore in a lot of ways, and Jerry's lyrics are by far the most personal to me. Without the lyrical content and delivery, they would just be an average band. But throughout the entire "Alphabet. Alphabets." album I am stricken with nostalgia, sadness, happiness, angst, and multiple other emotions that most music can hardly ever get out of me. In their later years, they've become more cryptic with the writing, and the raw poetic drive has been lost, but the creativity and emotion is still there, though you have to dive into it a bit more.
Every Time I Die is another WONDERFUL example. Keith's writing is so beyond anybody else's I've encountered in that genre and it rivals nearly all else in quality. Each song is a beautifully metaphorical masterpiece that brings energy to very critical topics. Reading over them is definitely one of my favorite things to do. The album "New Junk Aesthetic" really stands out to me, and a lot of the songs can strike an emotional cord.
Between the Buried and Me, Vildhjarta, Neutral Milk Hotel, This Town Needs Guns, The Postal Service, and The Mars Volta are other bands that I could write paragraphs about, because their lyrics enhance the listening experience for me!

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
Trophy Scars is another one for me. Those guys lean to and from Post-Hardcore in a lot of ways, and Jerry's lyrics are by far the most personal to me. Without the lyrical content and delivery, they would just be an average band. But throughout the entire "Alphabet. Alphabets." album I am stricken with nostalgia, sadness, happiness, angst, and multiple other emotions that most music can hardly ever get out of me. In their later years, they've become more cryptic with the writing, and the raw poetic drive has been lost, but the creativity and emotion is still there, though you have to dive into it a bit more.
experience for me!

Motherfucking this.

I first heard the song "Assistant.Assistants" when I was sixteen, and I fell in love with that whole album. Now, at twenty-four, that song in particular just throbs with nostalgia and a sense of melancholy for the old days and the old me. I haven't kept up with any of their work after that, but maybe I should go check them out.

Brodessa

Like a Lion.
Reaction score
Motherfucking this.

I first heard the song "Assistant.Assistants" when I was sixteen, and I fell in love with that whole album. Now, at twenty-four, that song in particular just throbs with nostalgia and a sense of melancholy for the old days and the old me. I haven't kept up with any of their work after that, but maybe I should go check them out.
Amen, dude. That song reminds me of all the good times my bestfriends and I have experienced through the years. It's one of those nostalgic songs, that brings up so many great memories. I absolutely adore it. The song "Alchemist. Alchemists." is the one that hits me the most. That album and song, in particular, kept me going through some very dark times. It holds a special place in my heart.

And as for listening to their more recent stuff.. It's almost taken a completely different direction from their Post-Hardcore'esque style. It's now more Bluesy but that's definitely not a bad thing, considering it's still Trophy Scars. The lyrics are still absolutely wonderful. I recommend listening to the song "Trazodone" or "Sad Stanley" off of Darkness, Oh Hell.

Duelbart

Reaction score
As probably most of people here, I tend to listen to my music, especially metal/rock with less focus on lyrics, but La Dispute is one of few bands that I can say I listen to primarily for them. Actually, it's more of a perfect harmony between the vocal delivery and the lyrics. Well, you should just hear some examples:

LA DISPUTE LYRICS - Harder Harmonies

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
I will listen to music just for the instrumental parts, and some of my favorites are based just on that. But I think it adds a huge amount of interest and respect if the lyrics/vocal delivery are above the norm. Most of the bands I will list are bands that I love instrumentally, but the lyrics and again vocal delivery add a very important element.

At the Drive-In/Mars Volta
Death Cab for Cutie/Postal Service
REM
Lamb of God
Murder City Devils
Cattle Decapitation
Tool
A Perfect Circle
Nirvana
Pearl Jam (can you tell I'm from Seattle?)
Deftones

And of course the old masters that were mentioned earlier, such as Bob Dylan, Roger Waters, Mark Knopfler, The Beatles and many others.

Brodessa

Like a Lion.
Reaction score
I will listen to music just for the instrumental parts, and some of my favorites are based just on that. But I think it adds a huge amount of interest and respect if the lyrics/vocal delivery are above the norm. Most of the bands I will list are bands that I love instrumentally, but the lyrics and again vocal delivery add a very important element.

At the Drive-In/Mars Volta
Death Cab for Cutie/Postal Service
REM
Lamb of God
Murder City Devils
Cattle Decapitation
Tool
A Perfect Circle
Nirvana
Pearl Jam (can you tell I'm from Seattle?)
Deftones

And of course the old masters that were mentioned earlier, such as Bob Dylan, Roger Waters, Mark Knopfler, The Beatles and many others.
Yeah, man! Death Cab, The Postal Service, ATDI, The Mars Volta, and Deftones! <3
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so!

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
i'd have to say Every Time I Die. Keith has such a way with words (being an english major probably helps). the music isn't all that bad but a little basic. i had first started listening to hem when my ex GF picked up New Junk Aesthetic on a whim (she liked the cover) and wasn't overly impressed. but after repeated listens and a few active listenings i found myself loving his lyrics. now i'm a rather big fan of that band and it was 100% the lyrics that...

Huge fan of ETID and I must agree - keith's hooks are poetic...its awesome. Shit like "I refuse to be the only man put to rest in a mass grave" and "Oh ya know I'm no good at court ordered goodbyes"....it seems so dumb unless you imagine trying to write it. Its all just snarky, rockstar stuff.

Also their music is deceptively complex. Their riffs may not be the most prominent element of the music all the time but there is some mind blowing guitar/rhythmic writing on almost all of their albums. Takes some heavy listening though.

EDIT: Also - The Ghost Inside (WELL I'LL SEE YOU WHEN THE SUN SETS)....and Anal Cunt. :lol:

Latest posts

')