Bands/Musicians that get a lot of *hate* but you actually like?

• Thread starter Rylynn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Estilo

Reaction score
Trivium! Also I don't get all the hate Nickelback gets, not that I like them in any way. They do radio-friendly rock but it's not like they're the Jonas Brothers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Alright, this may seem like an odd one, but System Of A Down. I've noticed that they tend to get a lot of hate in our scene, probably due to the fact that they're so mainstream and well known and they don't write super complex music. But I personally have always loved them, as they were one of the first bands that got me into metal and still impress me with their songwriting to this day.

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
Dance Gavin Dance. I was nearly burned at the stake when I posted a video of DGD on this fourm.

Bilbone Shaggins

Burglar 4 S8N
Reaction score
Yngwie, Death, Necrophagist, Huntress, and...ashamed as I am to say it...the Liturgy LP 'Aesthethica' had its moments.

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
:ugh: ehhh, Im getting in trouble for this but...

I actually enjoy some of Justin Bieber's music. Same goes for most top 40 popstars right now, Gaga, Katy Perry, Rihanna, etc. Lyrics are bullshit most of the time, though.

And I love Kanye West, dude's a grade-A asshole, and his lyrics are meh, but he's music and production is facking nuts.

Seriously I feel like im gonna get permabanned or something :lol:

BuckarooBanzai

Reaction score
Smash Mouth.

Most people think I have nostalgia googles on but their first three albums are incredible IMHO. Their guitarist/songwriter Greg Camp and producer Eric Valentine were in perfect lockstep creatively - everything sounds huge and perfectly accented. It's like a 60s meets 90s type sound with 22nd century engineering IMHO, very original and enjoyable on many different levels.

:ugh: ehhh, Im getting in trouble for this but...

I actually enjoy some of Justin Bieber's music. Same goes for most top 40 popstars right now, Gaga, Katy Perry, Rihanna, etc. Lyrics are bullshit most of the time, though.

And I love Kanye West, dude's a grade-A asshole, and his lyrics are meh, but he's music and production is facking nuts.

Seriously I feel like im gonna get permabanned or something :lol:

LOTS of people I know feel that way. I unfortunately don't find anything about modern pop music appealing. I enjoy a solid hook and for some reason producers nowadays can't write one to save their life. Don't get me wrong - there are a few pop songs of note that I find VERY catchy and appreciate but by and large I can't stand Lady Gaga et al.

Also people LOVE Kanye and I really can't get on board with him. I agree that his lyrics are garbage but I also don't enjoy his production in the slightest. Then again I am one of those pseudo-hipsters white kids that enjoys MKC-based boom bap from the 90s with lots of fusion samples :lol;

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score

Didn't like their later output as much, but goddamn it this one does it for me. :shred:

... *ducks* :ugh:

Alright, this may seem like an odd one, but System Of A Down. I've noticed that they tend to get a lot of hate in our scene, probably due to the fact that they're so mainstream and well known and they don't write super complex music. But I personally have always loved them, as they were one of the first bands that got me into metal and still impress me with their songwriting to this day.

:agreed: +1. Most of my "early metal" choices sound awful to me now, but I still enjoy these guys' work. Though I confess Mesmerize/Hypnotize were a disappointment.

DrShredder

Reaction score
Metallica gets a lot of hate these days but I love them.
Still really enjoying their live shows.
I even like Lars's playing for the most part and load/reload are my favorite metallica albums.
Sometimes it makes me feel down that so many people like to go on the internet to complain about stuff while there are so many things in life to enjoy.

desmondtencents

Plays With Wood!
Reaction score
I like a lot of "non-metal" rock music that people around here might not like but I have to agree with some of the pop music stuff that's been listed.
I'm a dad now and my daughter (almost 7 years old) always wants to listen to Taylor Swift and Katie Perry whenever we're in the car. I must say it's grown on me and I actually enjoy quite a bit of it. Also the soundtrack from Disney's Frozen. Let it go is such a well written song you can't help but sing along.
And, already mentioned I think, I will admit to being a huge Lorde fan. The whole album is really good!

BusinessMan

Reaction score
I'd like to say disturbed and slipknot. Disturbed, a few years ago, was THE heaviest band I listened to (ca. 2008-2011). I really enjoy listening to disturbed (who I started listening to a lot again) and slipknot regardless of what people say.

Pat_tct

Reaction score
don't know if I already said it but: In Flames

And I mean the new In Flames stuff..... sure it's different but it's damn catchy and I find myself listening to all their stuff all the time lately

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
I like Britney Spears early work a lot, especially the "Britney" album is a killer.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
Dave Mustaine and his super super death or something like that :)....God I love his band and this guy is dick . Who cares best thrash NWOBHM band ever !

Daeniel

7string n00b!
Reaction score
Love In Flames too. Don't care about all the "they got too commercial" crap though. Find another metal band that in 20 years continued to evolve like them, instead of just releasing an endless stream of the same s*it.

')