Bands/Musicians that get a lot of *hate* but you actually like?

• Thread starter Rylynn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I'm fond of Hollywood Undead. I'm actually fond of a lot of music that gets me made fun of. I tend not to give people shit when they like music I don't.

Doesn't stop me from wondering why anyone likes Future or Lil Wayne though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Orgalmer

Chuggasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Kanye West.

Can't believe I just wrote that, but it's true. Despite him being a total nutjob I really liked Yeezus... it was pretty out there and I can respect that.

Govan Emmanuel

Reaction score
John Mayer. I'm a fan of him actually... and this is coming from a fan of players like Guthrie Govan, Paul Gilbert & Allan Holdsworth.

How people diss Mayer is baffling to me to be honest.

Yes he is not a shred guy, but the guy wails on the blues-rock/trad-blues guitar, both acoustic and electric. His fingerpicking stuff is not easy (think someone like Mark Knopfler or Tuck Andress).

He received compliments from Paul Gilbert, Alex Skolnick, Tommy Emmanuel, Joe Bonamassa, Scott Henderson and has been playing & collaborating with jazz-fusion virtuosos such as Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, John Scofield, Mark Whitfield. Something that many musicians dream of accomplishing lol

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
Metallica:shrug:

Especially from the Load/Reload days.

Other than that, I get a lot of whit for listening to anything heavier than Hinder or whatever other radio band is "hot" arm.

Doug N

Reaction score
Not a huge list, and not in constant rotation, but these bands are sometimes just right:

Godsmack
Hed(P.E.)
Nirvana
Skid Row - specifically Slave to the Grind
SOAD

Fry5150

#based
Reaction score
Sworn in and villians get the most hate from my friends but I really dig those bands :shrug:

I also really dig load from metallica too lol

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
Yoko On....

No I cant do it. Not even for the sake of a joke...

Yep, Jamiroquai. Nickelback too...

For the record, I have WORSHIPED every sound In Flames have made since conception. Period.

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
Jimi Hendrix-yes, Hendrix hate is prevalent
Kurt Cobain/Nirvana
Coal Chamber
Korn
Oingo Boingo/Danny Elfman
John Cage

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
To add to my list:

Metallica's Reload album. Very nostalgic for me, and it has some killer riffs. Eat me.

Korn - everything from Issues and before are solid albums. Very catchy riffage, and genuine production. Also, much nostalgia. So energy. Wow.

Although I will say Korn has a pretty solid fanbase on SSO, for obvious reasons.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heh wow, I like most of the bands brought up in this thread, did not expect many of these artists to be that controversial among your friends.

I should add one of mine though that I in fact do get some weird looks for: Bon Jovi! Disregarding their last 10 years or so, they've put out some incredible material. Especially the These Days record. Also, Riche Sambora's first solo album in particular is magical.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Limp Bizkit,

My favourite band ever, finally got to see them live last year, was the greatest moment of my life up in the front row, waited many many years to see them!

Pat_tct

Reaction score
don't know man.
probably Metallica in the time of Load and ReLoad.
most people hate it. I like it.

Other than that? BMTH. Sempiternal is phenomenal and i respect them a lot. they grew a lot as musicians and songwriters.

what else?
Godsmack - Great summer time music. Plus it remeinds me of my dad and that he took me with him whenever he got out his motorcycle in summer.

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
Japanese 'MUCC'

Most people already dislike japanese rock/metal/pop and dislike MUCC even more for sounding even 'weirder' than the usual stuff.
The friends I have that actually like japanese music hate MUCC... Can't they see that they're so retardedly artistic, genuine and talented?! Ferkin' plebs :lol:

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I see Mudvayne being mentioned - for me "End of All Things to Come" is up there with other classic albums from that time like Aenima and Toxicity, great album start to finish.

')