Bands/Musicians that get a lot of *hate* but you actually like?

• Thread starter Rylynn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
Heh wow, I like most of the bands brought up in this thread, did not expect many of these artists to be that controversial among your friends.

I should add one of mine though that I in fact do get some weird looks for: Bon Jovi! Disregarding their last 10 years or so, they've put out some incredible material. Especially the These Days record. Also, Riche Sambora's first solo album in particular is magical.

Once upon a time I had a Sega Saturn and a game called Johnny Bazookatone. As a mindless child, I loved to loop the intro song. If I recall correctly, it was written by Richie Sambora. It's a cheesy as shit little techno/rock song that holds a lot of nostalgia for me. Everyone in my family was surely sick of hearing the damn song back then. I mention this because your mention of Bon Jovi had me look up the track again after god knows how long. Still insanely cheesy, though somehow catchy.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Mariah Carey. She's the best. It's too bad most of her music isn't very good. Her Christmas CD goes into my car every year from Thanksgiving to New Years, I must have listened to it 500 times or so over the years.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
You get made fun of for listening to Sevendust? Wtf? They're not one of those bands that strayed from their original sound or anything. Then again... I have a Dust tattoo sooooooo, obviously I love them.

It's usually not nearly as bad as the hate I get for liking the others I listed. I just get remarks like "you still like nu-metal" and crap like that. I was in middle/high school when nu-metal was blowing up, so I still hold a lot of that music near and dear. Often times, it's the dumb ones who have no idea about Sevendust that think they are "just another nu-metal band" and give me hell for it. It's hard for me to imagine a lot of people NOT liking them. They are a fantastic band who really love their fans. Great guys, great music.

stevexc

Reaction score
Taylor Swift. Red if a ....ing amazing album, no matter what anyone says

I'm an adult male who likes nothing more than to listen to and make very angry, scary music while doing manly male things.

I love Taylor Swift.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I've seen several responses and I must say that...

...I love Jamiroquai, since I first heard them in 1993. The song was "When we're gonna learn". I was already into a lot of metal back then, but Jamiroquai sounded really good to my ears, I never had prejudice with their style. I bought some of their cd's right away and I'm still a fan. I don't listen to them every day but I really enjoy their songs. Space Cowboy is a great, great song... the thing I love the most from these guys are their basslines, always creative, and their tones are insanely good. Overall, good, good music!

People would tease me and say that I like "Jamirogay" or whatever, I didn't care! lol

I also got shit for liking some disco music, The Cardigans, some old Gangsta Rap, Skrillex, stuff like that, but I don't give a shit! :D

I also really like Lana Del Rey, but I never got shit for liking her. Just thought I should mention.

I love Nickelback and I got shit for liking them, but I don't care at all, I think they're a solid rock band with several tunes I enjoy, a hell of a tone, huge production and they are great live. :metal:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Most of Linkin Park.
Mostly, because I gladly hate on the stuff since Minutes to Midnight. :lol:

Rammstein
Breaking Benjamin
Metallica (1991 - 1997)

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
I'd add the Silversun Pickups.

There's Silversun Pickups hate? :scratch: I guess I could see why people wouldn't like them, personally I think they're really good and there's some really cool layers to their music, I've got Carnavas and Swoon on my iPod.

As for my own contribution, I like a lot of the metalcore stuff people don't seem to like (Memphis May Fire, Sleeping with Sirens, Pierce the Veil, Of Mice and Men mainly among a few other bands.)

Also, Ellie Goulding. :wub:

Jamiroquai rules.

And I do like Avenged Sevenfold. They were one of the bands that helped get me in to metal and while I haven't listened to the new album, I do still enjoy their old albums.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I've been known to like a few Lady Gaga and Katy Perry songs....

ChubbyEwok

Reaction score
I love Avenged Sevenfold, if it wasn't for City of Evil I probably wouldn't be into metal or guitar at all. They really got me interested in it all. The others are just some metalcore bands like Memphis May Fire and Asking Alexandria. I surprisingly get hate for liking Frank Sinatra hahaha oh well

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
The Haarp Machine - i know that it was recorded with studio trickery, but the music is damn solid and it sounds killer.

Der JD

Reaction score
I like a lot of disco. Not really surprising, though. A lot of disco has a fairly fast tempo and is written in minor keys (in common with metal).

Also, 80s hair metal:

Ratt
Winger
LA Guns
Great White
Skid Row

Modern metal bands that some people think it's cool to hate on:

Killswitch Engage
As I Lay Dying
Unearth
Shadows Fall
Trivium
In Flames

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
I'm 39 and a musical omnivore, so of most my friends don't understand that I like Limp Bizkit (Wes Borland), The Devil Wears Prada, Suicide Silence, Emmure, The Acacia Strain, and Whitechapel, to name a few.

They used to like Fear Factory and Sepultura, but somehow they ended up with Coldplay and Death Cab for Cutie.

Ivars V

Reaction score
The Bunny The Bear. Also, I get some bad looks for having a heartagram tattoo (HIMster here) while at metal shows.

')