Bands/Musicians that get a lot of *hate* but you actually like?

• Thread starter Rylynn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mischief

Owner of Spleens
Reaction score
I think I'm going to revise my original statement.

Nevermore, Gorod, Breaking Benjamin, early Linkin Park, Flyleaf, SOAD- Anything in the realm of metal, will be hated by anyone who hates metal.

Dance Gavin Dance, and other bands tossed into the "Post-Hardcore" category- Because "IF IT SAYS CORE, IT'S NOT REAL MUSIC, IT"S SHITTY TEEN POP FOR PEOPLE WHO CAN'T HANDLE REAL METAL!... MURRICA!" (Yes, that's a common comment I see on Facebook, minus the last part. heheh)

Maroon 5, Adele, Christina Perri, Two Door Cinema Club, Panic! At The Disco, Green Day- Anything that would play on a Top 40 station, because hipsters will hate anything popular.

Same bands and artists listed above, because "Anything made after 1990 is shite! Rock and Roll has died, and now there's no good music being made!! MURRICA!!!!!"
Yeah.. I've met those too.

Nirvana, because no good music after 1990, grunge sucks, the 90s sucked,
The Cardigans, because they are Swedish and.. MURRICA!
969871_543324735726326_755845235_n.jpg

(Yes, the photo was intended for irony)

And last but not least, the band I've seen the most hatred for.. Primus. Everyone I've seen who has heard of them- They always say the same thing! "Primus sucks!"

;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
Static-X
Developed my early rhythm chops thanks to their debut lp Wisconsin Death Trip, and their follow up - Machine. I consider those amazing albums front to back, very rarely ever skipping a track. Great examples that you can make heavy music without necessarily have the slightest bit of technicality in your guitars.

Savage Garden
This is more so in my group of friends where varying sub genres of death metal is the prevailing status quo with very little tolerance for Rock. Probably because we're all musicians in said sub genres?

Mercenary
Probably the vocals on their early releases, very dramatic but I love em! Phenomenal song writing and phrasing, glad that despite their huge line up change over the years that they're still putting out awesome material!

Mnemic
I don't know why they get hate, but I think it's because some people hear the material expecting more tech for their liking/taste but don't end up getting that? I dunno. But Mechanical Spin Phenomena still holds up and stands out amongst so many metal albums to my ears.

Will Smith
Need I explain?

Maku

Banned
Reaction score
Paramore and a bunch of post-hardcore bands (Dance Gavin Dance, A Lot Like Birds, Tides of Man etc.)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

That reminds me. I ....ing love Feared, even though they get a lot of hate here for being too "generic." Ola's not trying to break new ground, he's trying to write some heavy, groovy metal music, and it works in my opinion.

Static-X
Developed my early rhythm chops thanks to their debut lp Wisconsin Death Trip, and their follow up - Machine. I consider those amazing albums front to back, very rarely ever skipping a track. Great examples that you can make heavy music without necessarily have the slightest bit of technicality in your guitars.

I agree, although I thought Shadow Zone and Start a War were just okay, and Cult of Static was terrible. I'm glad to see that the band is finally hung up, though. I don't think Wayne can write good music anymore. :(

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
I agree, although I thought Shadow Zone and Start a War were just okay, and Cult of Static was terrible. I'm glad to see that the band is finally hung up, though. I don't think Wayne can write good music anymore. :(

i thought wayne static solo cd was pretty cool, better than cult of static for sure. start a war was pretty good for them i thought and cannibal too

DISTORT6

NJ DEVIL
Reaction score
I would like to add Motley Crue to my list.
And I still DGAF.

Orgalmer

Chuggasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Good old Waking the Cadaver. Y'know, I thought their second album wasn't bad. What was the one before it called again, "Perverse Recollections of a Necromangler" or something? lol

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
Careful, you're going to get neg repped for saying "Emmure", apparently. And that computer tough guy won't sign it either. :lol:

lol'd hard at your rep board at the guy who said your just as bad as an icp fan for liking emmure. I guess you'll just have to live with that hahahaha

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
lol'd hard at your rep board at the guy who said your just as bad as an icp fan for liking emmure. I guess you'll just have to live with that hahahaha

What will I ever do??? :lol: :lol:

Orgalmer

Chuggasaurus Rex
Reaction score

Dude far out that's pretty funny. I didn't mind The Respect Issue by Emmure.

*waits for neg rep*

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I'm 39 and a musical omnivore, so of most my friends don't understand that I like Limp Bizkit (Wes Borland), The Devil Wears Prada, Suicide Silence, Emmure, The Acacia Strain, and Whitechapel, to name a few.

They used to like Fear Factory and Sepultura, but somehow they ended up with Coldplay and Death Cab for Cutie.

Wow. Much suck. How boring. :nuts:

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
There's Silversun Pickups hate? :scratch: I guess I could see why people wouldn't like them, personally I think they're really good and there's some really cool layers to their music, I've got Carnavas and Swoon on my iPod.

As for my own contribution, I like a lot of the metalcore stuff people don't seem to like (Memphis May Fire, Sleeping with Sirens, Pierce the Veil, Of Mice and Men mainly among a few other bands.)

Also, Ellie Goulding. :wub:

Jamiroquai rules.

And I do like Avenged Sevenfold. They were one of the bands that helped get me in to metal and while I haven't listened to the new album, I do still enjoy their old albums.

I don't know much songs by Silversun Pickups but I really enjoy what I heard. The bass is killer in that band... and I love the distorted tone, weird and really cool!

teamSKDM

Reaction score

Im a humongous fan of lil b and have been for years. he releases a new album every month (54 albums in total, over 10,000 songs currently) and I listen to lil b almost every single day.

Lifestalker

Reaction score
Muse, Michael Jackson (The Jacksons inclusive), Behold The Arctopus, Foo Fighters, Justin Timberlake, Maroon 5, Phoenix, Radiohead, Queen, Taproot(mostly listen to Gift and earlier material). Oh yeah, my friends can't stand it that classical is my favorite; Vivaldi, Mozart, Chopin, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Bach, Schubert, etc, etc.

Quite a few others. People can hate on my musical taste all they want, but I still find mine to be superior than 95% of the population.

')