Bands not open to you using an ERG

• Thread starter DeadPool2099
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DeadPool2099

Reaction score
Have you guys here on ss.org that play extended range guitars, had experiences where didn't get the job as lead guitarist? Simply because you show up to practice with a 7-string or 8-string guitar. Or you were told to put that "thing" away.

I have usually shown up and tried out for bands using just my Les Paul. Because it seems that 6-string is seen as "normal". And I would play shows with my 6-string but after awhile I just started bringing the 7-string. From my experience different musicians from various bands I was in were intimidated by it. I remember hearing one time, from a band member. "Kevin, you should stop bringing that guitar it's more for metal. Also we don't need another bass player, we have one already his names' Mario."

The funny thing was the bass player in that particular rock cover band had a 5-string Ibanez. And is not like I rode the 7th string all the time. I would just use it occasionally when the songs would be in the key of B. We could have played stuff in the same range. Spiced things up but the guys wanted me to just play my six string.

I mean I use my 7-string and 8-string for Jazz and metal! for both styles of music and pretty much everything else
Do you guys as extended range guitarists deal with the same sort of thing or similar situations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you need to find more open minded musicians! :lol:

I guess it just comes with the territory maybe. Have you played with any of these guys for a long time or were you only in them for a little bit? My first "real band" I've brought out my 7 string before, and even my 8 string for a show or two, just to have fun and experiment, and they never really complained. Hell, I never even used the extra strings all that much. But if they're that concerned with the idea or even the "look" of you playing a metal guitar, then maybe you should look for a new band if that's what they care about IMO. However, if you're playing in a rock/funk band and you bring a BC Rich or something that might be understandable...because appearance does sort of matter when playing live.

I guess because I'm transitioning away from playing strictly metal onto playing jazz/blues/funk/jam-band type stuff, the whole image thing isn't as important as the music. If it really bothers those dudes, then maybe ask yourself if it's worth it to keep playing with them or at least ask them if they want to incorporate extended-range type of stuff. If playing your LP isn't too big of a deal to you as well, then rock that ish!

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
HA! I would seriously rethink my relationship at that moment.

Id ask, in a very serious manner as to "why" i couldnt use a particular guitar. Has all the same 6 strings they're accustomed to. The ER aspect gives you a bigger pallet... Therefore additional "colors" to paint in sound.

Dont let others hold you back.

Hell... As weird as this is gonna sound... For shizz & giggles i wanted to pick off Beiber's song "Love Yourself".

I did it on my 8 string.

Just cuz i could. I have an acoustic and a 6er... I just wanted to have fun. And thats what music should be about... Fun and art. Plus you look badass with extra strings :lol::lol::lol:

Bearitone

Reaction score
It sounds like that band is super nitpicky about image. In my experience those aren't the people doing it for the music.

You should bring a Hello Kitty strat to practice next time :)

akinari

Reaction score
The only way I would put up with people telling me what guitar I could play is if they were helping me make a *....load* of money. The bassist in my old band used to cry about us tuning to drop C# for god's sake!

Lasik124

Reaction score
Sounds whack.

Imagine if you were a drummer in that band

"China cymbals are to metal, take it off your kit." :lol:

vansinn

Reaction score
Tell them you're not playing 7/8 strings for going low, but that it's to avoid going diagonally up'n'down the neck when shredding.
Plus maybe casually add "at times it's just nice to have that D or C below the standard E, like when playing in A, where I can do the same on the E-string".

Else, as others said, find someone with more of a grip on current developments - just as we no longer live in the sixties with half-wave rectifier distortion, guitars no longer needs to be limited by six strings.
And remember: "Some people appear bright - until they open their mouth, and you hear them speak" (wuffo you jump out of dem plaiiins? Wuffo you play dem eight-stringars?) :spock:

zerofocus

Reaction score
I think you just need to find some more open minded people like an earlier post said

just because you are playing an extended range instrument doesn't mean you have to use it all the time, you can use it just for ease or extending chords

even if they're in for example a drop tuning you can still do it, hell my old band use to drop both the low strings so you'd get ADADGBE

you should play whatever your comfortable on or whatever you enjoy, if they are intimidated (as it kinda sounds that way) just because you walk in with an 8 then thats their problem

to be honest I'm really surprised that people still freak out over ERG being a thing

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
Why should anyone care what guitar you bring to practice or an audition?

I can sort of understand if you want to put a certain image out at a gig, and them wanting the Les Paul there, but for a practice or something that seems really silly.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I've never encountered that before and I've only been in one band where I played only six strings. I did have an experience where I was told to get a four string bass, because six string bass meant that I wouldn't be able to hold down a groove, but I pushed back and was hired by the band.

I think you will realize that out there in the soup, there are tens of thousands of people who call themselves musicians, but maybe one in ten is really an actual professional. The professional folks will learn their parts and bring their own unique voice to their parts without screwing up the structure of the song, and will allow others in the band to do the same. Once you subtract off the subset of professional-behaving musicians from "musicians," what you have left over is a group of people who will do, among other things, stuff like complain about which instruments their band members bring to band practice, which haircuts people wear, etc.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
Just tell them that you're more comfortable with whatever guitar in particular and that it wont affect the band's style.

n4t

Reaction score
I've thought about this, because I do not own a non-metal or non-ERG guitar. I'm older and maybe a bar band would be fun? If I did such a thing, I would pick up a strat or something. A more appropriate tool for the job.

Playing radio rock on an my 8-string I would feel kinda cheesy and awkward. And why even invite the potential comments when the ERG is fairly pointless?

The last thing I want to do in a band is go looking for unnecessary drama (aka. this thread).

pkgitar

Reaction score
I can sort of get why they would react like they do. Depending on the genre though. If you showed up with a seven string Ibanez and the band was pop/rock/indie/whatever band, I'd question your decision and probably ask if you've got something else. Any socially capable human being should see it fit that your Les Paul is a better option in this case. 5 string basses are much more "normal" than seven string guitars. On the other hand, if the bands are actually metal bands... Show them your sweet di.. licks and let them beg!

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Any socially capable human being should see it fit that your Les Paul is a better option in this case.

If you're talking about the pointiest guitar with 99 strings, tuned to drop w, and all those other exaggerations people like to make, then sure, maybe the context you use it in matters a bit- but an RG or S or similar tuned to standard isn't necessarily "more metal" than any other guitar, whether it's a 7 or not.

Petar Bogdanov

Reaction score
For me the whole point of a 7 string is that it does everything. I'm pretty sure the second part of your bandmate's comment was a joke and that he has a lousy sense of humour, by the way.

CapnForsaggio

Cap'n (general)
Reaction score
I doubt it was a joke...

Does your band play any music that requires notes from the guitar below E?
Do your band mates use their eyes to follow your riffs when you write them?
Do you stand around noodling 7 string riffs when you should be playing songs written for 6 string?

They may have a point....

pkgitar

Reaction score
If you're talking about the pointiest guitar with 99 strings, tuned to drop w, and all those other exaggerations people like to make, then sure, maybe the context you use it in matters a bit- but an RG or S or similar tuned to standard isn't necessarily "more metal" than any other guitar, whether it's a 7 or not.

For sure. I was thinking along the lines of the more metal oriented type of guitar. Could be any brand really.

')