Bands That Fell Off Hard

• Thread starter FeedMeWithColours
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
If you guys start to pickup every band with a failed album, the list is gonna get pretty long pretty fast.
GnR is the ultimate waste for me.

ToMurderAMachine

Reaction score
i think bands that started to gain momentum and then just disappeared should also be included in the "just fell off" category too.

doesn't it freak you out when you realize a band you're into (or WERE into) released albums and you never even knew about it?

The band PMtoday had some fantastic guitar work. They released two albums, then ended everything with no warning.

ToMurderAMachine

Reaction score
Drowning Pool.
Mudvayne.

^BINGO on mudvayne... Everything after LD.50 was political or meaningless crap, plus the music took a huge turn for the worse.

Also, I have to add Circa survive. Blue Sky noise was a far fall from On Letting Go, although it was somewhat acceptable. Shortly after that they put out the appendages EP, which kicked all the asses, and gave most circa fans a glint of hope, that maybe circa was able to redeem themselves after Blue Sky Garbage... Then, they released their newest album, Violent Waves, and it sounded like someone grinding a cheese grader down a chalk board.... Their career is absolutely over now...

One last group... Coheed and Cambria. Burning star 4 was amazing, as well as everything predating it. But the two albums that followed, (no world for tomorrow, and year of the black rainbow) were absolute dog shit. Thankfully, their newest album, afterman: ascension, is brilliant, and totally revived that band. They're somehow still kicking it.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
^BINGO on mudvayne... Everything after LD.50 was political or meaningless crap, plus the music took a huge turn for the worse.

Liked, then unliked, because End Of All Things To Come is one of the most underrated metal albums ever. After THAT, yes, watered down, crap.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
Understandable, but Ive always got to stick up for Korn cause they are one of my favorite bands ever and I like all of their work. I totally hope Head contributes heavily to the next Korn album cause Id love to hear a new album like "self titled", "life is peachy" or "take a look in the mirror". I fuckin absolutely love "see you on the other side" and "untitled" though, as well as the last two albums. The new one is sick! IMO of course
i dont think ive ever heard an old generation korn fan speak highly of the new generation. i too consider myself a huge korn fan but i though see you on the other side has so much potential but ruined by the producers. i do enjoy untitled, mostly because of bozzio drums. korn III has so much potential too i thought but i feel munky performance was sub par. all the same style riffing regurgitated on every track. it just showed too me he is lost without head. i still listen to all there other material constantly. didnt listen to the dubstep record though nor do i plan to. i can only hope head does come back to the band.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Metallica since the black album

I prefer Load to the Black Album by MIIILES and also think Death Magnetic is better than it as well. In fact listening to the black album is hard for me, I find it really, really dull.

AChRush1349

Causal Anomalie
Reaction score
Children of Bodom. After Follow the Reaper, (or being generous, Hatecrew Deathroll) everything has been downhill, except for a song here and there on Blooddrunk

nsimonsen

Reaction score
Weezer - everything since Maladroit has been utter shit. I miss the geeky 90's rock they did so well.

Dream Theater - Haven't enjoyed anything post Train of Thought, didn't dig them trying to go heavier and darker.

The Mars Volta - I love the first three records, Jon Theodore brought such incredible groove to the band and since he's left Volta have gotten more spaz but not in a good way in my opinion.

Reaction score
I prefer Load to the Black Album by MIIILES and also think Death Magnetic is better than it as well. In fact listening to the black album is hard for me, I find it really, really dull.

really? , the black album is great IMHO , I like St Anger more than load/reload/death magnetic :hbang:

rekab

Reaction score
Nothingface- Violence remains one of the best metal albums I've ever, EVER heard, hell just one of my all-time greatest albums. Then they released Skeletons and broke up after that, probably because it was watered-down and weird. Massive fall-off.

I think that's an odd take on Nothingface. They had been releasing albums since 1994 and skeletons was in 2003. I'm a big Nothingface fan and love pretty much everything including skeletons. It was a little different but the band had grown by that time. Either way I don't look at this band as falling off. They were never that popular and didn't start playing crap, they just called it quits when they were done.

My opinion on who fell off: Spineshank

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I think that's an odd take on Nothingface. They had been releasing albums since 1994 and skeletons was in 2003. I'm a big Nothingface fan and love pretty much everything including skeletons. It was a little different but the band had grown by that time. Either way I don't look at this band as falling off. They were never that popular and didn't start playing crap, they just called it quits when they were done.

I loved Pacifier and Audio Guide, just thought Skeletons was terrible. Eh.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Just because you don't like light rock/electronic music doesn't mean it's "pussy shit"

Oh Geez, why is it every time someone doesn't like something a fan has to come to a bands defense? Look, compared to their first and second album what they are doing now would be considered by most as either pussy shit or even worse "selling out". Defend it all you want but such dramatic changes are not to be taken lightly. I see many call changes evolution and often I'd agree, but such quick dramatic changes in style are not evolution but are a shock and slap in the face to fans.

And for the record I have my own electronic project and I love tons of light rock.

Rev.

protest

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm missing something, but to me it seems like a band the fell off hard would be one that kinda shot up and then dropped off, or that plunged really hard after some success. It seems kind of odd to throw a band like Dream Theater in there and say after album x, created 15 years into their career, they fell off.

Even Metallica. I know they did fall off really hard but that was after about 10 years of awesomeness. They may be an exception though because of how drastically they changed, but still its really hard, to make great music throughout your career.

To me it seems more like the Metalcore bands like Shadows Fall, LoG, and All that Remains. They kind of came out blasting, and after 2 records or so just completely fell off. I think something like that fits better than saying like Opeth fell off 20 years into their career lol.

nsimonsen

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm missing something, but to me it seems like a band the fell off hard would be one that kinda shot up and then dropped off, or that plunged really hard after some success. It seems kind of odd to throw a band like Dream Theater in there and say after album x, created 15 years into their career, they fell off.

Even Metallica. I know they did fall off really hard but that was after about 10 years of awesomeness. They may be an exception though because of how drastically they changed, but still its really hard, to make great music throughout your career.

To me it seems more like the Metalcore bands like Shadows Fall, LoG, and All that Remains. They kind of came out blasting, and after 2 records or so just completely fell off. I think something like that fits better than saying like Opeth fell off 20 years into their career lol.

This is an incredible well founded argument,
Much respect, I completely understand where you're coming from.

Local Astronaut
Reaction score

Came here to say basically this, and I was even going to mention Shadows Fall.

Falling off hard is pretty difficult when the band is already established as iconic in its respective genre. Metallica is still considered a huge influence by tons of musicians. Same with Opeth. Just not their newest stuff.

Shadows Fall was one that came to mind. I thought they were on the way to becoming HUGE, then they just kind of disappeared. Seemed like they had The Art of Balance and the War Within and that's it.

Also, Thursday and The Used. I hated both of them, but they were massive for a while then I don't know where the fuck they went. And Glassjaw.

')