Bands That Fell Off Hard

• Thread starter FeedMeWithColours
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, gotta love this forum... you can't post your own opinion without some chicken shit faggot anonymously neg repping you. I actually got neg repped for saying new LP stuff is considered pussy shit by most earlier fans. I even apologized to those that like the new stuff. Yet some douche decided this is the time to use the rep system and neg rep me. I can't fucking understand this forum and I don't give if a shit if I get banned for this but I am sick and tired of taking my time to contribute to discussions when fucking douchebags are allowed to sit there anonymously and be little bitches and neg rep people because on here, the only forum I've come across, they can troll like this secretly.

Whoever your are... Go fuck yourself you uber sensitive bitch.

Rev.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Speaking of Queensryche, I quite liked American Soldier. That is all.

I did, too.

Until the last 3 or 4 songs. We're talking about bands that fell off hard? Thats how an album falls of hard. :lol:

With all the love I have for the album, though, you can Geoff's voice is shot.

8last

Reaction score
Mudvayne and korn for me. Korn starting jumping the shark around the 4th album and mudvayne around the 3rd album and no makeup

Heroin

I am wombat
Reaction score
Metallica, since the black album imo. ...And Justice For All was a masterpiece and then they just totally changed their sound. Now I'm not saying the black album was bad but it went from like heavy heavy, to heavy. I dunno. :lol:

edit: I liked death magnetic though, and S&M :)

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Children of Bodom. After Follow the Reaper, (or being generous, Hatecrew Deathroll) everything has been downhill, except for a song here and there on Blooddrunk

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS. ALL OF MY THIS. Bodom are the definition of this. All said though, We're Not Gonna Fall (from AYDY) is a favourite of mine. Norther did much the same too, but then they broke up.

To a lesser degree, you could say Ensiferum as well, not the same without Jari :( at least Wintersun bucked this trend and released their 6-years delayed album to ridiculous critical acclaim :lol:

Machine Head did this pretty hard, but then became bigger and better than they were before in the 90's so somewhat of a redundant choice

VacantPlanet

Reaction score
Thought of another one. Black Label Society and anything to do with Zakk Wylde. His early stuff with Ozzy was awesome and so was his solo stuff and early Black Label, but after Mafia, everything went to shit. It's like he lost all inspiration. It's a shame, too, because his country/metal style was pretty cool, but now it's all pinches and cliches.

phugoid

Reaction score
Nightwish, after they fired Tarja. I'd say that Once was a sort of sonic high point for them - although I didn't like most of the songs I can't imagine how they could possibly sound better and more powerful.

Next album with the replacement singer was a flop - should couldn't even cut through the mix and they basically muted everything but guitar and drums to hear the vocal parts. I have hope for them - last I heard they had hired Floor Jansen (ex-After Forever) to finish off a tour.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Thought of another one. Black Label Society and anything to do with Zakk Wylde. His early stuff with Ozzy was awesome and so was his solo stuff and early Black Label, but after Mafia, everything went to shit. It's like he lost all inspiration. It's a shame, too, because his country/metal style was pretty cool, but now it's all pinches and cliches.

Nightwish, after they fired Tarja. I'd say that Once was a sort of sonic high point for them - although I didn't like most of the songs I can't imagine how they could possibly sound better and more powerful.

Next album with the replacement singer was a flop - should couldn't even cut through the mix and they basically muted everything but guitar and drums to hear the vocal parts. I have hope for them - last I heard they had hired Floor Jansen (ex-After Forever) to finish off a tour.

I agree with both of these.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score

I found Dark Passion play to be a lot better musically, and easier to listen to than that trope shit with Tarja :lol: Neither of which is stuff I go out of my way to here though.

The_Mop

Want to make $60?
Reaction score
I'd have to say Joe Satriani. Sorry Joe :(

Without doubt one of the biggest inspirations i've ever had (first CD I can remember listening to is Surfing) and without doubt the most easy going, least pretentious and most listenable of the late 80s/early 90s shredders. However, I gotta say, I honestly don't think he's made a good solid album since 1998 with Crystal Planet. And that's over a decade ago. The early and mid 2000 albums were pretty average, and what I've heard of the later albums has been more or less terrible.It's a real shame and I hate being this critical of him (especially because he seems such a nice chap!), but it's a real dissapointment to see someone at the forefront of their genre become more or less an average blues widdler.

I think it's worth considering Dream Theater in this one as well. Peaked in 1999 with Scenes, followed up very nicely with 6 Degrees, Train of Thought (still a favourite) and Octavarium. Past that point though, what it sounds like to me is that they're resting on their laurels. From Systematic Chaos onwards, Dream Theater have started to sound like their imitators. Can't say I've enjoyed anything post Octavarium.

I'd say the same thing about Meshuggah, but I don't think they've fallen off 'hard' exactly, I just think they've stagnated since Nothing and 'I' were released by resting on their laurels a little too much.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I wouldn't say they fell off HARD, but (as much as I hate to say it, as they are one of my all time favorite bands) Electric Wizard a little bit. I think its more so that they peaked too early as opposed to falling off. I love Witchcult Today, but I found Black Masses to be kinda boring

zilla

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I'd have to say Joe Satriani. Sorry Joe :(

Without doubt one of the biggest inspirations i've ever had (first CD I can remember listening to is Surfing) and without doubt the most easy going, least pretentious and most listenable of the late 80s/early 90s shredders. However, I gotta say, I honestly don't think he's made a good solid album since 1998 with Crystal Planet. And that's over a decade ago. The early and mid 2000 albums were pretty average, and what I've heard of the later albums has been more or less terrible.It's a real shame and I hate being this critical of him (especially because he seems such a nice chap!), but it's a real dissapointment to see someone at the forefront of their genre become more or less an average blues widdler.

I am kind of shocked, but I totally agree with you. Satch was my #1 influence up until the extremist, then he kind of fell off with his self titled, came back a bit with crystal planet, and then fell hard. I don't like any of his chickenfoot stuff, either.:scratch:

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I think it's worth considering Dream Theater in this one as well. Peaked in 1999 with Scenes, followed up very nicely with 6 Degrees, Train of Thought (still a favourite) and Octavarium. Past that point though, what it sounds like to me is that they're resting on their laurels. From Systematic Chaos onwards, Dream Theater have started to sound like their imitators. Can't say I've enjoyed anything post Octavarium.

I'd say the same thing about Meshuggah, but I don't think they've fallen off 'hard' exactly, I just think they've stagnated since Nothing and 'I' were released by resting on their laurels a little too much.

Train Of Thought is a guilty pleasure of mine, I'd agree the three albums after that are all pretty bad. I enjoyed their newest one though.

Totally agree about Meshuggah, Nothing they've done since I has been *that* good. It's become more and more po-faced and serious.

Pedantic

(Djent pun)
Reaction score
At the drive-in. They made relationship of command and then they broke up.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
All That Remains, Korn, Disturbed, Slipknot, Children of Bodom, (in the slightest) Lamb of God.

wankerness

Reaction score
metallica.... I don't care who they used to be... theyre fucking horrible now

I think their last album is better than anything since AJFA so I can't really agree.

It's weird to me how many people are saying Meshuggah, I think Koloss and Catch 33 are both really great and definitely better than Nothing. Both Obzen and Koloss added a lot of different stuff to their sound that was never there on earlier ones so I don't think they're one of those bands that stagnated either. Chaosphere is still my favorite album of theirs (unless you count "I") but so far they definitely haven't gone downhill with time.

Pain of Salvation is always my go-to choice for these topics, Be to Scarsick was like they went from AJFA to St Anger in one album and they have stayed very firmly down in shitville ever since. There aren't even flickers of what they used to be and it isn't like a band like Opeth where it feels like they're putting the same amount of effort into the new stuff, it just sounds lazy and bad!

')