Bands That Have A Huge Live Sound

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Meshuggah was definitely crazy! It was super heavy with the axe fx through the PA.

After The Burial, one time they were very solid and "boomy", and the other time I saw them they were weak.

Also, back in the day when I saw Bury Your Dead, them too.

OH. And, Blessed By A Broken Heart was AWSOME live.

The sound guys make a difference a lot of the time. Last year at Summer Slaughter, every band sounded pretty mediocre until Suffocation and Necrophagist played. Then, it was PERFECT.

fretninjadave

Seven String Samurai
Reaction score
The Ocean Sounds stellar live also born of osiris and after the burial and the faceless. All sick sounding live

CoachZ

Needs guitar skills
Reaction score
Rush has sounded awesome each time I've seen them live. It's overall really well mixed, Geddy and Neil both cut through easily.

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, it wasn't sounding great there. We didn't have our own sound guy, we had to use the house guy which is why using Axe FX direct isn't as simple as plugging it in, you have to have proper patches made with the power amp sim and cab sims turned on - without a good monitor engineer this could have been disastrous.

The soundcheck portion of this vid sounds pretty good though hehe:

Periphery: 2 days in Melbourne / Win a Periphery pack! - Roadrunner Records Australia

But in the interest of not derailing this thread here are some of hugest sounding live bands ever:

Meshuggah

Dream Theater

Emmure

Winds of Plague

Strapping Young Lad

FINALLY someone mentioned Winds of Plague. They were completely amazing every time I've seen them.

Jims

Reaction score
Not a massive fan of their music, infact I realy don't like it, but I have to say Emmure sound pretty amazing live.

TravisMontgomery

Reaction score
After The Burial sounds HUGE live. It's insane. That and the fact that they are super tight are what impressed me the most. The ending to Cursing Akhenaten was the heaviest thing I have ever heard!

Someone showed me this live video of us earlier today. I hope we sound like this every night! haha. I thought the sound at this show was pretty huge.

- Travis

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, it wasn't sounding great there. We didn't have our own sound guy, we had to use the house guy which is why using Axe FX direct isn't as simple as plugging it in, you have to have proper patches made with the power amp sim and cab sims turned on - without a good monitor engineer this could have been disastrous.

The soundcheck portion of this vid sounds pretty good though hehe:

Periphery: 2 days in Melbourne / Win a Periphery pack! - Roadrunner Records Australia

But in the interest of not derailing this thread here are some of hugest sounding live bands ever:

Meshuggah

Dream Theater

Emmure

Winds of Plague

Strapping Young Lad

Thanks for clearing that up Jake, cheers:metal:
Dream Theater is a good pick.
Sounded pretty damn huge when I saw them back in '08

Reaction score
meshuggah and in flames have the best live sound I've heard.

+1

In Flames live sound is just plain nuts. Can't say as they've released much as of late that I dig all that much but they're one of the best sounding live bands I've ever heard.

And Meshuggah are always super tight and intense.

Antimatter

Reaction score
+1

In Flames live sound is just plain nuts. Can't say as they've released much as of late that I dig all that much but they're one of the best sounding live bands I've ever heard.

And Meshuggah are always super tight and intense.

Yeah, every Meshuggah live performance I've seen, all of them do amazing, I don't think I've ever seen them mess something up.:hbang:

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
After the Burial. At every beat, their sound make my heart skip a beat. It was so immense.

i agree.

I saw BTBAM and their live sound blew my fing mind

eventhetrees

What's a Panini?
Reaction score
I agree with like everything in this thread haha.

Also that first vid of Devin Townsend.

I wish I was there, that seems like it would have definately been an experience.

Also adding to my list of things to do, see Sunn O))) live.

@cwhitey2 when I saw BTBAM play colors front to back WITH an Encore... I'm still recovering from that experience hahaha.

Xanithon

Headbobbing Galore
Reaction score
Meshuggah.

Straight up - even though the first time I saw them i couldn't hear shit... Vetta II's and i was right up front. 2nd time was Axe-Fx (i jizzed in my pants) and i had earplugs, sound AMAZING, EXACTLY like live album - Closed Eye Visuals sounded absolutely amazing.

I though Iron Maiden sounded amazing when i went to see them, also Lamb of God - <3demBASSdr0ps :)

B36arin

Reaction score
Not so much in the heavy factor, but Porcupine Tree are the fullest, most complete sounding band I've heard in years and years. :agreed: Even here in The States, they opted to bring a huge caché of equipment, and go all out to nail a perfect performance. Impressive considering Wilson doesn't care much for live performance. :lol:

:agreed::agreed::agreed:

Porcupine Tree is the best sounding live band I've ever seen by quite some distance, and I saw them at a festival...

')