Bands that only have one album you like?

• Thread starter metalstrike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalstrike

I love signature guitars!
Reaction score
For whatever reason, bands/artists that only have one album that clicks with you while the rest of their discography you either don't like or just don't listen to. And yes, said bands should have more than one album out and you should have listened to more than one release to judge:lol:

For me to name a few,

Born of Osiris - The Discovery
Ensiferum - S/T
Royal Hunt - Paper Blood
James Labrie - Elements of Persuasion
Impaled - Mondo Medicale
Mirrorthrone - Gangrene
Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Chimaira with Pass out of Existence. Wish they'd have went on with that style...so goooooood.

in-pursuit

Reaction score
first one off the top of my head, and because I was just thinking about it today...

The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium

not that I necessarily DIDNT like their other albums, they just didnt grab me as much as their first album did.

downburst82

Reaction score
Linkin Park - Hybrid theory
AFI - Sing the sorrow
Muse - Absolution
Fall of troy- doppelganger

more im sure but im tired...

Decreate

Reaction score
A couple that comes to mind are
Believer - Sanity Obscure
At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Whiplash - Power and Pain
Hellanbach - The big H

slapnutz

Reaction score
I dunno why but for some reason...

RATM - RATM
Mudvayne - LD50
Slipknot - Slipknot

...i dont "hate" the other albums... but its just mostly meh to me.

Redmetal

Reaction score
I have to say periphery, i really enjoyed the first album (never listened to bulb before) then I tried To listen PeripheryII and I got pretty bored, The same happened with Clear... So I am not following periphery's new stuff anymore

Mik3D23

things
Reaction score
For whatever reason, bands/artists that only have one album that clicks with you while the rest of their discography you either don't like or just don't listen to. And yes, said bands should have more than one album out and you should have listened to more than one release to judge:lol:

For me to name a few,

Born of Osiris - The Discovery
Ensiferum - S/T
Royal Hunt - Paper Blood
James Labrie - Elements of Persuasion
Impaled - Mondo Medicale
Mirrorthrone - Gangrene
Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt

I agree with BoO here. Strongly disagree with Arsis and Ensiferum, they've got lots of great stuff.

The only band I can think of that I only like one album by is Abigail Williams - In the Shadow of a Thousand Suns

Nails In Your Coffin

Reaction score
I can't really say there's only one record by any band I like. I like a lot of different songs, and some are on different albums. What's the "requirement" for being a good record? How many songs that I like need to be on the record?

Warrant- Cherry Pie (but that song sucks...)

Heaven's Edge- Heaven's Edge

Damage Plan- Newfound Power

Flotsam & Jetsam- No Place For Disgrace

Prong- Prove You Wrong

Bon Jovi- Slippery When Wet

Hurricane- Over the Edge

Tool- Undertow

Cro-Mags- Best Wishes

Quiet Riot- Metal Health

Twisted Sister- Stay Hungry

Faith No More- The Real Thing

I'm sure there are some more, but I don't feel like thinking...

Reaction score
American Me - Heat
Angel Corpse - The Inexorable
Blood Has Been Shed - Spirals
Despised Icon - The Healing Process (When I am listening to DI it is usually only this)

If a band puts out an album where they seem to dump all of their ideas and energy into it, and it turns out really good, some bands just top themselves early you know.

nicktao

Reaction score
Dude what! While I love PI, PII was far superior in terms of cohesion and songwriting. PII is probably one of my favorite albums of all time.

But I'd have to say The Faceless-Autotheism and BOO-The Discovery.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I can't really say there's only one record by any band I like. I like a lot of different songs, and some are on different albums. What's the "requirement" for being a good record? How many songs that I like need to be on the record?

Warrant- Cherry Pie (but that song sucks...)

Heaven's Edge- Heaven's Edge

Damage Plan- Newfound Power

Flotsam & Jetsam- No Place For Disgrace

Prong- Prove You Wrong

Bon Jovi- Slippery When Wet

Hurricane- Over the Edge

Tool- Undertow

Cro-Mags- Best Wishes

Quiet Riot- Metal Health

Twisted Sister- Stay Hungry

Faith No More- The Real Thing

I'm sure there are some more, but I don't feel like thinking...

Hey... wait... Damageplan only had 1 album! :lol: WTF!

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Chimaira with Pass out of Existence. Wish they'd have went on with that style...so goooooood.

Agreed. It actually sounded unique. The other Chimaira records sound like generic thrash metal with no memorable stuff whatsoever.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
For me its Korn. Their first album was fresh and exciting when it came out, and I was an impressionable teenager, so I really liked it and still do. Everything since has been...., not my taste.

BuckarooBanzai

Reaction score
Dude what! While I love PI, PII was far superior in terms of cohesion and songwriting. PII is probably one of my favorite albums of all time.

I dunno man... I kinda agree with him. I was STOKED for PII to come out since it had reworked versions of some of my favorite demos and I thought it was a masterpiece when it came out but I've since changed my mind. It is far from a terrible record and I still jam it occasionally but it doesn't touch the S/T in my opinion. Even though PII has been out for a shorter period I think in totality the S/T has stood the test of time much better...

On topic... I tend to listen to an artist because of one album then slowly try their other albums. Usually I don't like their other material, then one day I get an earworm from one of those albums that I "don't like" and check the albums out again only to magically discover that they're awesome. Happened most recently to me with Thomas Dolby.

')