Bands that use extended range instruments?

• Thread starter Kali Yuga
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
I'm talking about bands that use something beyond a 7 or 8 string. Bands with fanned instruments, way too many strings, bizarre tunings, etc. I don't know, I'm bored (slightly inebriated tbh) and haven't seen something like this on here. Do not post AAL/Tony Danza etc... not wanting 8 string bands, just bands with interesting instruments. I want to see some of these 10 string basses, 12 string guitars, etc put into action. Genre doesn't matter at all... we are all music lovers here, hopefully we can appreciate beauty and talent in all styles, not just metal. :)

hope da mods dont close this and hate on the fun. pretty sure there isnt another thread like this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Jean Baudin, He plays an 11 string bass. His solo stuff is awesome.

His band Nuclear Rabbit is pretty hilarious

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Viraemia uses a 10 string bass
Behold...The Arctopus uses a Warr guitar
I believe MAN uses guitars with microtonal frets

Holy Katana

Wait, what?
Reaction score
Yuri Landman's instruments are pretty awesome. Lots of sympathetic drone strings, movable third bridges, and good stuff like that. Sonic Youth and Liars are the two most well-known bands who use his instruments.

His most well-known instrument is the Moodswinger, which is like an electric zither/koto thingy with a movable third bridge that creates weird overtones depending on where you place it.

As heard in this song by Liars (be warned, if you hate noise rock, you won't like this at all):

The guitar he made for Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth, the Moonlander, which has a second headstock of sympathetic strings above the regular strings, hasn't been used in any of their recordings yet to my knowledge. But Sonic Youth have been using extended techniques and bizarre tunings since pretty much the beginning of their career. No, they're not the most technically proficient musicians on the planet (although their drummer, whose name I can never remember, is severely underrated), but they're more original than 99.9% of other bands (famous or otherwise), which, in my opinion, is more important than whether you can do 8-string altered dominant sweeps at 15nps.

But that's just me, and over the past few years, I've cared less about technique and more about composition and originality. Although my technique's gone to shit these days, so I'm trying to hone my chops back up to where they were a couple of years ago, even though I most likely won't use them to their full extent. It's more of a way to make me feel like I'm a capable musician, and also of being able to have a lot of technique at my disposal, whether or not I'll use it much.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
anyone seen Colin's new metal warr guitar?

shit is serious

Warr Guitars, Inc. - Warr Guitars "WarrMETAL" Series

close_up_front_1.jpg

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score

Two first instruments heard in this song is the former lead guitarist Robs own designed instruments. He also built pretty much all the guitars I've seen him play, including his 11-stringer (thanks Vamp <3). /thread

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
M.A.N use 11 string guitars for some songs, though now they mostly just use microtonal 7 strings.

Viraemia have a bass player with a 10 string bass.

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
What is that electronic doohickey in both of those M.A.N. videos? It's sitting between the drummer and bassist in the second video, and was carried in someone's arms in the first. It got brief close-ups in both videos too.

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
Here's some non-'numetal' use of the 11-string some people mentioned, for anybody interested. He shows off some of his guitars and other stringed instruments after a bit of shred, using unordinary instruments in a metal setting. It's an interesting video.

Spence

Reaction score
Here's some non-'numetal' use of the 11-string some people mentioned, for anybody interested. He shows off some of his guitars and other stringed instruments after a bit of shred, using unordinary instruments in a metal setting. It's an interesting video.

anyone know how that thing is tuned?

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I know M.A.N use drop B with a low F on their 7 strings, I believe the 11 string is tuned in a similar fashion with a few unison strings because he liked the sound of having drones. I have an email from Rob somewhere with the exact tuning but was ages ago I cba to dig around for it.

Infamous Impact

Reaction score
Borknagar's bassist uses an 8 string fretless bass. Not really a fan so I don't have any particular songs to show from them.

')