Bands who have gotten better overtime ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sikthness

Reaction score
Born Of Osirs (Can't even listen to a higher place)
Meshuggah (Metallica Ripoff era :ugh: - Catch 33, slightly less :ugh: and now Obzen was pretty good.)
The Dillenger Escape Plan (Option Paralysis :wub:)
Ion Dissonance
After The Burial
Visions

Of course everyone's entitled to their opinions, but Ion D really? Are you guys forgetting about Minus the Heard. I know I tried to remove it from my consciousness hard too, but I still remember it exists.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
:idea:

'Gotten' is not a word at all, therefore the issue is not spelling, but usage.

it's the past participle of 'get'. it's a word. but 'become' would probably have gotten a better response. :D

oh yeah... who got better? oh, man... haha! one immediately comes to mind because i saw them on television recently. poison! i know it's crazy, but the guitarist is sober and shredding. and they were easily improved upon. lotsa room to grow. ha!

i was listening to some in flames that someone posted here that was a little disappointing. new stuff. still good, just not as good.

Don Vito

Reaction score
In my opinion, The Dillinger Escape Plan. The first few albums are great, but Ire Works and Option Paralysis are two of my favorite albums ever.
This soooooooooo much

Born of Osiris - I've always liked this band, but their new album REALLY blew me away

Job for a Cowboy - I don't hate Doom EP, but I'm not overly fond of it either.

and my troll answer would be, Design the Skyline. I actually gave this band a chance for some reason(they were too "interesting" to ignore) and found that their debut album was a lot better than their EP. With that being said, they're still just awful.

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
+1 for Behemoth and BTBAM (Even though i still LOVE both bands earlier stuff, it's easy to see that they definitely progressed over the years)

Pelican (The Fire in Our Throats and City of Echoes are much better than their debut, and What We All Come to Need is good as well)

Scale the Summit (Again, still Love their earlier stuff, and I still might like Carving Desert Canyons a BIT more than The Collective)

Circa Survive (Although I prefer On Letting Go)

adrock

long ball larry!
Reaction score
Cult of Luna.
it blows my mind every time i see someone mention this band. almost no one knows about them. but i definitely agree, Eternal Kingdom is a masterpiece.

all i can contribute (since mine have already been mentioned), is Neurosis. they've come so far from what they started as, i can't even listen to their first few albums. but Given to the Rising is such an amazing piece of musical art, LOVE that album.

piggins411

Reaction score
The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza
Last Chance to Reason
SikTh
Protest the Hero (Overall, not in a linear way)
Scar Symmetry (Overall, first couple are wildly overrated)
Mastodon
Decapitated (Linear till Carnival, well maybe a tossup between Nihility and Negation)
Deftones (Overall)
Down
Gojira
Psycroptic
Minus the Bear
Oh, Sleeper
The Mars Volta if they had released their CDs is the opposite order
Sybreed
Xerath

Minus the Bear? That kind of surprises me. Don't get me wrong, I love MTB, but for me OMNI was their weakest album yet (I still really enjoyed it though.) I'm a Highly Refined Pirates man myself

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
3 pages in and no mention of:

At the Gates.

Continued refinement over the course of the band's life and ended on their best album IMHO.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
Whitechapel and JFAC - those are two bands I'd say I didn't like their overall sound in the beginning, but slowly progressed to a more traditional death metal approach - their last few records have kicked some serious ass, and seeing them both live at Mayhem fest proved to me they've found their sound.

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
Enter Shikari: Went from writing some pretty uninspiring screamo music to writing great rock music.

Between The Buried And Me: :hbang:

Four Year Strong: They keep getting more badass and less awkward sounding.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Totally disagree with the guys who said Meshuggah and Pain Of Salvation.

I love Destroy Erase Improve and Chaosphere is great, in terms of stamping a style I think they peaked on Chaosphere, Nothing and to a lesser extent I. Since then it's been pretty joyless a lot of the time, there's less of that bouncing off the walls energy about things IMO. Interested in the new disc, meant to be slower and more sinister, which suggest NOTHING like which would be great.

Pain Of Salvation really dropped the ball with Road Salt, and haven't topped Remedy Lane and Be.

Sikthness

Reaction score
Minus the Bear? That kind of surprises me. Don't get me wrong, I love MTB, but for me OMNI was their weakest album yet (I still really enjoyed it though.) I'm a Highly Refined Pirates man myself

Well i should've said I don't think Omni is their best work. I prefer Planet of Ice by a huge margin to the rest of their catalog, so really i think they improved on each consecutive album with PoI being their masterpiece, and Omni being very good.

jr1092

Avalanche in D Minor
Reaction score
Born of Osiris
Meshuggah
Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza
Between the Buried and Me
August Burns Red - I might get burned for this one, I love their old stuff too, but I'm really liking the direction they went with Leveler

pineappleman

Why can I not sleep?
Reaction score
BTBAM. They got incredibly better on each album until they peaked with the perfect album conceivable by humans, then flatlined at a slightly lower, but still really high level.

')