Bands who have gotten better overtime ?

piggins411

Reaction score
Well i should've said I don't think Omni is their best work. I prefer Planet of Ice by a huge margin to the rest of their catalog, so really i think they improved on each consecutive album with PoI being their masterpiece, and Omni being very good.

One of the only things that bothered me about Omni was the lyrics. PoI was pretty great. Also, I don't understand why they didn't put Broken China on Omni. I think it was better than almost every song on the album

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
The most obvious to me is The Faceless. While Akeldama was a strong release, it wasn't nearly as innovative, nor as tasty as Planetary Duality. That album is quite the work of art.

Karnivool has upped the ante with every release.

Misery Signals, especially with the release of Controller.

I agree with whoever mentioned Scale the Summit. The new album is great, it really outdoes everything they have done prior.

I also disagree with the people who have mentioned Born of Osiris. I think The New Reign still is their best release. While I do enjoy The Discovery quite a lot, I think The New Reign is really just a tastier album.

7StringSloan

Reaction score
1. Suicide Silence- im a big fan since The Black Crown was released. It just suits me better than their old material. Its more groovy as opposed to chaotic noise.

2. After the Burial- I thought Rareform was the shit until they released In Dreams now i can barely listen to their old stuff.

3. Born of Osiris- HUGE jump from A Higher Place to The Discovery.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
BTBAM (not a linear one though, more general)
Meshuggah (again, general as opposed to linear)
Trivium (linear until In Waves, good album but a total letdown from a musical perspective)
Born of Osiris (literally zero---->heroes with the newest album)
Whitechapel (see Born of Osiris, but for br00talz instead of t3chz0r)
The Black Dahlia Murder
Death (you know I'm right)
Scale the Summit (first album=okay, CDC and The Collective=sogood.gif)
Sylosis (first album really good, second album awesome)
Nile (all albums bar one or two kickass, then TWTGD was on another level)

Funnily enough I like all of Mastodon's albums pretty much equally, which is to say, buttloads

The_Mop

Want to make $60?
Reaction score
Textures, definitely. First album was pretty good but semi-ruined by a terrible vocalist.

Ministry - on account of his first album being an 80s pop record :lol:

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Behemoth

Edguy. Although I think that their 2nd most recent album was weaker than say Hellfire Club or Rocket Ride, "Age of Joker," is quite good.

The Offspring. Went from simple 4 chord punk to multiple layered Rocky stuff.

Iron Maiden. Except their newest album hasn't clicked with me yet. And I know most people don't like their more proggy stuff, but Brave New World slays most anything else they've done.

Symphony X.

Rebellion.

The_Mop

Want to make $60?
Reaction score
Sadly I've got to disagree about Meshuggah as well. I know this more or less is blasphemy around here but IMO meshuggah havn't come out with anything good since Nothing, and even then, it's nowhere near as awesome as destroy erase improve.

No denying though, Nothing and what came after has sorta changed the face of metal. No doubt. I've just become a bit bored of it :p

melb_shredder

Bringer of riffs
Reaction score
Hmmm..
I'd probably say a small list, but a list I love anyways!

Amon Amarth (never really writing NEW amazing stuff, but they've never written anything below GREAT IMO)

Amorphis... despite the style shift, it's still all amazing stuff, can't get enough of it.

Psycroptic. Only a few albums in, but they fucking rock, and as a fellow Aussie, they're definitely an inspiration.

Testament. For me.. the definition of continually writing evolving and amazing music whilst sticking to 'their' sound and roots. I don't think there's anything I don't like from them.

That's probably it for now. These aren't my all time favorite bands, but they are definitely the most consistent for me :)

ScottyB724

Reaction score
2. After the Burial- I thought Rareform was the shit until they released In Dreams now i can barely listen to their old stuff.

lolwut

Rareform was beastly, In Dreams is terribly watered down garbage.

IMO of course :fawk:

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
Disagree with Meshuggah by a long run. But I have to say Born of Osiris is a prime example of how a generic deathcore band could evolve into something incredible(The Discovery album)

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Textures, definitely. First album was pretty good but semi-ruined by a terrible vocalist.
Furthermore, Drawing Circles had so many parts that could have been lifted verbatim from Meshuggah. The influence was still present on Silhouettes, but I think they'd finally come completely into their own sound.
The most obvious to me is The Faceless. While Akeldama was a strong release, it wasn't nearly as innovative, nor as tasty as Planetary Duality. That album is quite the work of art.
I think it's a little bit silly to talk about a band getting better over time when they've only released two albums, and the first was released while they were teenagers (and most of the lineup changed from the first album to the second).

I'm sure I'm going to get some hate for this, but Slaughter of the Soul is my favorite At the Gates album.

The Beatles

I have so many conflicting thoughts about this. My immediate reaction was to agree, since I definitely prefer their later stuff, but on further consideration, I think it's a little hasty. Did they get more experimental over the years? More creative? Absolutely. Did they get BETTER? I can't give that an unqualified "yes". Part of that is because I'd argue that they released more garbage in their later period than earlier; for example, I find the White Album borderline unlistenable because there are so many songs on it that I just think are absolute dreck. But also, they were really good in their earlier years, too. It's hard to fully appreciate just how good they were on those first few albums without understanding what popular music was like before they came along. They really changed popular music in ways that are difficult to fully comprehend to someone listening to them today. While the songs on later albums might seem better to our modern ears, they're just more like the songs we're used to hearing because of the Beatles' monolithic influence on popular music. One of the important things to keep in mind about the Beatles is that, like many other greats, they were absolutely a product of their time. When they came out, they sounded basically like the music other bands were playing; they just did it better.

samincolour

Sweaty fox.
Reaction score
Born Of Osiris - The Discovery is an immense album

Bring Me The Horizon - They're not brilliant but they've come a looooong way from their first EP/album. I like them, pretty catchy!

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of responses in this thread (namely Meshuggah, Death, Obscura), but one that hasn't been mentioned.

unearth.jpg

IMO they get better with every release, although I do like III a tad better than the March.

Murmel

Reaction score
Katy Perry
Mucc (even though their latest album was pretty shitty, before that it was all good with every release).
Dir En Grey (same story as Mucc, even though I find their latest album at least listenable, it's just boring :lol:)

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Agreed on Born Of Osiris. Latest album has more substance and taste to it compared to earlier stuff. It's got some fat riffs on there.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO...

I love Symphony X but I don't think Iconoclast is any better/worse than their older stuff...

I haven't listened to the newest DT, but I liked Image and Words as much as Black Clouds... I'm actually more suprised that after all these years their still releasing "good" music.

I like all 3 of the Human Abstract albums that I have, but for different reasons and I don't think anyone of them is better than the other... although Digital Veil is f'ing amazing! So maybe... :)

Anyways, I think some people just posted their favorite bands here... maybe if you state a band here then you should provide your reason?

And production value should (usually) improve over time, especially through newer/better tech and from home-made EPs to studio albums...

Can you count a band that only has 2 albums... that's too small of a sample size IMO...

"Better" is such a subjective term... e.g. I like newer All That Remains because there is more singing / "catchier songwriting"... I'm sure a lot of people feel exactly the opposite.

')