Bands who have gotten better overtime ?

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Judas Priest, prior to KK's departure.

Live at Budakan absolutely rips, the whole band plays exceptionally.

Tipton always pushes himself beyond what you would normally think a man of 60 + years can be capable of.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
Cannibal Corpse is prime example of a band that kept the same formula since day 1 and progressed technically and musically while no kind of deviation at all.

jordanscot

Outlier
Reaction score
Born of Osiris - Possibly the biggest difference in quality I have ever heard.

Veil of Maya - ...that first cd.

Arsonists Get All the Girls - Portals/Motherland are vastly superior to their previous works and actually got me to enjoy listening to this band from time to time.

After the Burial - Their song structure has gotten a lot better, and judging by the pre-pro for their new release they will be bringing back the rareform vibe whilst using in dreams production, too stoked.

Oh, Sleeper - I lucked into finding this band when all they had was We Are the Archers up on Purevolume back in jr high/early high school. They've grown into one of the best acts out there in my opinion. Hush Yael is the best individual song I have heard in years from their genre.

Stick To Your Guns - With the release of Diamond, I think they've solidified themselves as the number one melodic hardcore/pop punk out there.

Others that I don't have time to write about currently: Parkway Drive, Scale the Summit, The Faceless, BtBaM, Bermuda, Erra, Sentients, Cloudkicker (although Beacons will probably forever remain in my top 5, LYBH is just.. huge), Fallujah, Emarosa, The Omega Experiment, CHON, and Sea of Treachery.

Edit: Wall of text.

CyborgSlunk

Reaction score
BTBAM. They got incredibly better on each album until they peaked with the perfect album conceivable by humans, then flatlined at a slightly lower, but still really high level.

My first BTBAM album was The Great Misdirect. I loved it immediately because of the memorable riffs and the creativity. When I bought Colors, I was overwhelmed and didn´t love it that much. But after so many listens, Colors is THE perfect album, you can really tell it was written as one. The Parallax though...had it´s awesome moments, but otherwise was "only" very good. Just my opinion.

piggins411

Reaction score
My first BTBAM album was The Great Misdirect. I loved it immediately because of the memorable riffs and the creativity. When I bought Colors, I was overwhelmed and didn´t love it that much. But after so many listens, Colors is THE perfect album, you can really tell it was written as one. The Parallax though...had it´s awesome moments, but otherwise was "only" very good. Just my opinion.

Every time I hear Colors I just think to myself "How the fuck was it possible to write this?"

Scottckr

Wololololo
Reaction score
I really don't like BTBAM's first album at all, but they have gotten exponentially better. I like the RX Bandits older stuff, but the post-Halfway Between Here and There is sheer awesome

Was surprised someone didn't mention BTBAM yet, but yea, not a big fan of the first two albums, The Silent Circus has Mordecai and Aesthetic though, Alaska is just fantastic and Colors & The Great Misdirect as well, don't feel that The Parallax EP brought anything new to the table, but it's good shit.

Scottckr

Wololololo
Reaction score
Architects, the UK metalcore band. On Nightmares, they played some really magnificent techy metalcore, then Ruin was much darker and more metal, but a totally viable departure from the tech bits. Hollow Crown was an incredible album that was about a year ahead of all of the (now far too common) metalcore scene BS, and now they're playing fast post-hardcore/punk/metalcore on The Here And Now, and I couldn't be happier.

This! ^^^^

Nightmares and Ruin was pretty crap imo, Hollow Crown is easily on my top 10 best albums ever, just starting to get into The Here And Now, it's growing on me, but it's nowhere near Hollow Crown, their new album Daybreaker just leaked so I had to download it of course(I've already placed a pre-order for the album so don't bash me with killing the music), haven't listened in on it too much yet, but it seems to go back a LITTLE bit towards Hollow Crown(not enough if you ask me).

Scottckr

Wololololo
Reaction score
This soooooooooo much

Born of Osiris - I've always liked this band, but their new album REALLY blew me away

Job for a Cowboy - I don't hate Doom EP, but I'm not overly fond of it either.

and my troll answer would be, Design the Skyline. I actually gave this band a chance for some reason(they were too "interesting" to ignore) and found that their debut album was a lot better than their EP. With that being said, they're still just awful.

Agree with ya there on Design the Skyline, I just felt I had to torture my ears so I listened to their album, it's a totally fucking shitty CD, I'd probably rather listen to Justin Bieber than that, but it's a lot better than what was shown in their promo video

Scottckr

Wololololo
Reaction score
Born Of Osiris - The Discovery is an immense album

Bring Me The Horizon - They're not brilliant but they've come a looooong way from their first EP/album. I like them, pretty catchy!

Agree on BMTH, most people wouldn't give them a chance to prove themselves now though, their previous image and music totally ruined it all, the latest album is definitely my favorite album from 2010.
I do think a big part of their improvement is in the production though.

Sikthness

Reaction score
Soilwork (special place in my heart for A Predators Portrait, but overall I think they are at their best now)

Danza

Ihsahn

Within the Ruins

Wretched

Spawn of Possession

Gorod

Rain

Reaction score
In Flames

Soilwork

Hypocrisy

Illidiance

Dear God. No. Just no.

In Flames should NOT be on that list, imo.

Dark Tranquillity should though :D I just heard We Are The Void and was blown away. Definitely a step up from Fiction. Also Amon Amarth, Eluveitie, As I Lay Dying, and Across the Sun :)

Osiris

Reaction score
Every time I hear Colors I just think to myself "How the fuck was it possible to write this?"

For sure. The first many times I listened to their stuff it just seemed like garbled-up really concentrated and technical riffs in random order. But if you sit down and listen to it note by note it's like a whole nother song. I had to realize that they were meant to be listened to very actively. Really impressive

Ninjahat

Reaction score
Of course everyone's entitled to their opinions, but Ion D really? Are you guys forgetting about Minus the Heard. I know I tried to remove it from my consciousness hard too, but I still remember it exists.

I love minus the herd! What's wrong with some heavy jamz? Sure it's not the same as Solace, but I think it's pretty damn cool!

')