Bands who's earlier albums are better then their current stuff?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
The video of Mick tracking this song is ....ing insane, too.

Good lord. People, you can all say what you want about Slipknot, but there's some badass, tight riffing going on in that video. I never realized that album was that much more intricate than their previous material. Thanks for posting that.

vansinn

Reaction score
Eluvetie :agreed:
I have most of their albums but the latest ones..

estabon37

Melodica Attack!
Reaction score
Being that I'm way more into alt-rock than metal, I've often felt like I go against the grain on this site, but never more than when I read this thread. Mastodon has become one of my favourite bands over the last couple of years, but Remission does very little for me, and as much as I like Leviathan, I'd say I like all of the later albums more. I just don't listen to them as a metal band; I listen to them as particularly heavy rock band. In that context, they're fucking brilliant.

The only two bands I can think of that I was a huge fan of at one point that I'm kind of embarrassed to admit now are Muse and Live. Muse was mentioned earlier: they opened with three (four?) quite strong albums, and then they seemed to try to reinvent themselves and totally shit the bed as a result. Drones was an improvement, but it can't really count as a recovery.

Live's descent was just fucking sad. Throwing Copper is to this day a great album; Secret Samadhi and The Distance to Here have some really solid moments as well. Then they just flat out stopped giving a shit V and Birds of Pray are really embarrassing attempts at making albums, particularly in the context of their earlier work. I didn't bother with album 7, after which the lead singer / songwriter 'went solo' to write super boring quasi-spiritual acoustic ditties, and the rest of the band hired a new singer in the hopes of beating a dead horse til it sprung back to life. In 2000 they performed one of the best stadium shows I've ever seen; by 2007 it was better to pretend they didn't exist.

Last edited:

stuglue

Reaction score
Hi guys, I thought I'd offer a different view point for you. I've never heard Opeth, until a week ago when I decided that I needed some new listening material for my holiday (is gotten bored with listening to the same stuff each time) so I went searching on the net and found Opeth Sorceress. So far I quite like it, I was expected lots of death metal vocals, but was surprised at the first track, normal vocals. Second track has more growl, the riffs are OK, nothing special. I may well with backwards through their back catalogue to see which are stand out albums.

As for DT, I was and still am a fan of Images and words even though the drums do sound like sample replacement hits. Awake was OK, Falling into Infinity was too patchy. I know a lot of guys love Scenes from a memory but I found it far too contrived, the band were attempting to doa metal The Wall concept album. Unfortunately from here on in they seem to write songs based around crazy guitar/keyboard shred offs and then tack on a few riffs.

wankerness

Reaction score
Hi guys, I thought I'd offer a different view point for you. I've never heard Opeth, until a week ago when I decided that I needed some new listening material for my holiday (is gotten bored with listening to the same stuff each time) so I went searching on the net and found Opeth Sorceress. So far I quite like it, I was expected lots of death metal vocals, but was surprised at the first track, normal vocals. Second track has more growl, the riffs are OK, nothing special. I may well with backwards through their back catalogue to see which are stand out albums.

Are you sure you were listening to the right album? The first track appears to be an intro track, but the 2nd, 3rd and 4th were all released as singles and they DEFINITELY do not have any growling :lol:

stuglue

Reaction score
Are you sure you were listening to the right album? The first track appears to be an intro track, but the 2nd, 3rd and 4th were all released as singles and they DEFINITELY do not have any growling :lol:

The track listing is as follows
1. Sorceress
2. Serenity painted Death
3. Into the forest of Winter
4. Bridge of Sighs
5. Demon of the Fall

Album is called Sorceress Principals.

wankerness

Reaction score
The track listing is as follows
1. Sorceress
2. Serenity painted Death
3. Into the forest of Winter
4. Bridge of Sighs
5. Demon of the Fall

Album is called Sorceress Principals.

:Facepalm:

1. From Sorceress
2. From Still Life
3. A demo from before they recorded any albums (assuming it's "Into the Frost of Winter")
4. A cover from Watershed era
5. From my arms your hearse

Who uploaded that where as "Sorceress Principals," and why, I have no idea!

stuglue

Reaction score
:Facepalm:

1. From Sorceress
2. From Still Life
3. A demo from before they recorded any albums (assuming it's "Into the Frost of Winter")
4. A cover from Watershed era
5. From my arms your hearse

Who uploaded that where as "Sorceress Principals," and why, I have no idea!

Ah OK, so what albums would you recommend I start with from them?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Go for Blackwater Park if you want peak Opeth, to me it has elements from all their earlier albums.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Sorceress isn't bad though nowhere near as good as Blackwater Park imo. I just saw that the Sword is touring with them so now I'm way more excited to see them live. Last time I tried to see them live they were in a bus crash and had to cancel (Mastodon's Hunter tour).

wankerness

Reaction score
Go for Blackwater Park if you want peak Opeth, to me it has elements from all their earlier albums.

Yeah, this is kind of the generic Opeth album. Ghost Reveries may be SLIGHTLY more accessible. I'd highly suggest avoiding the newer stuff (Heritage, Pale Communion, Sorceress) for a while unless you prefer it. Damnation is also an oddity.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, this is kind of the generic Opeth album. Ghost Reveries may be SLIGHTLY more accessible. I'd highly suggest avoiding the newer stuff (Heritage, Pale Communion, Sorceress) for a while unless you prefer it. Damnation is also an oddity.

I'd say "generic" isn't really the best term in this case, because it has a negative connotation. I'd be more inclined to say that it's their archetypal or most characteristic album. :lol:

wankerness

Reaction score
I'd say "generic" isn't really the best term in this case, because it has a negative connotation. I'd be more inclined to say that it's their archetypal or most characteristic album. :lol:

Hey, they're all synonyms!! That's what I meant, though, and point taken. :p

')