Bands who's earlier albums are better then their current stuff?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
I don't think anyone's mentioned Baroness yet. Red and Blue were amazing progressive sludge, Yellow & Green was more classic-rock-influenced, but still had some great songs, and Purple was just kind of meh.

I haven't heard their first two albums. I got Yellow & Green and Purple, and sure noticed a huge drop-off there!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
My obvious choice is Soilwork. "Steelbath Suicide" and "Chainheart Machine" are masterpieces, the newer stuff is not for me.
Has anyone mentioned Rammstein? Fantastic band until "Mutter", then just good.

You have already said about Maiden, Peppers, Mastodon, GnR. Opeth, well, I like them until "Still Life", plus a few songs on GR.
I would add to the list Nightwish and Rhapsody (of Fire). And Dimmu Borgir, I love the first 3 albums, their later stuff is just too polished and overproduced.

wankerness

Reaction score

Link owned by word filter!

I honestly prefer The Hunter to Remission. Call me a bad person! Octopus Has No Friends, The Sparrow, Blasteroid, Spectrelight, Curl of the Burl, and especially Bedazzled Fingernails are AWESOME!! :hbang: I listened to it probably about 30 times. I haven't listened to the new one much, so I don't really have an opinion on it.

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
Jane's Addiction

Anything after Ritual de lo Habitual is unnecessary IMO.

On the flip side, i like the Iron Maiden albums with Bruce better than the early ones with Paul, and i think their last album is better than the three that preceded it.

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
On the flip side, i like the Iron Maiden albums with Bruce better than the early ones with Paul, and i think their last album is better than the three that preceded it.

I can't disagree, but I see Maiden's discography as a natural progression until "Seventh son...". Most of their work after that is just good, but not wow.
The albums with Paul, especially IM, are gorgeous. And I think it is not about pre-Bruce and post-Bruce, but more about pre-Nicko and post-Nicko. He was the one who brought IM to a new level, IMHO.

lewis

Reaction score
biggest annoyance for me is Sylosis. There I said it. Looooooads of people rave about their new music, but their debut album "Conclusion of an age" and the follow up "Edge of the Earth" (When Josh took over vocal duties), were 2 of the best metal albums, of that genre, ever.

The rest since has been a voyage into sludge, Mastodon rip offs and "hipster/Gentlemen" music. No offence but give me face melting rhythms/harmonies and solo's every day of the week over whatever the rubbish is they are now.

extendedsolo

Reaction score
Radiohead fans here can probably agree that after Kid A, things got really unfocused and uneven. The Bends, Ok Computer, and Kid A are rock masterpieces. While I will say they do have some really good moments, it blows my mind that they have achieved GOD status in the rock pantheon.

Another one that comes to mind is Michael Jackson. Nothing will ever top Off the Wall for me. Thriller is obviously a classic album and incredible, but man Bad? Really? that song is terrible. Yes Bad had 4 songs that are stone cold classics but really I thought Off the Wall was peak artistry for Michael. I just like the funkier stuff vs the more pop oriented stuff. Lets not eve get going on Dangerous.

Foo Fighters. Colour and Shape and S/T were amazing, but they have just not been interesting to me in 20 years. Just extremely bland rock music done better by bands in the 70s.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Radiohead fans here can probably agree that after Kid A, things got really unfocused and uneven. The Bends, Ok Computer, and Kid A are rock masterpieces. While I will say they do have some really good moments, it blows my mind that they have achieved GOD status in the rock pantheon.

Another one that comes to mind is Michael Jackson. Nothing will ever top Off the Wall for me. Thriller is obviously a classic album and incredible, but man Bad? Really? that song is terrible. Yes Bad had 4 songs that are stone cold classics but really I thought Off the Wall was peak artistry for Michael. I just like the funkier stuff vs the more pop oriented stuff. Lets not eve get going on Dangerous.

Foo Fighters. Colour and Shape and S/T were amazing, but they have just not been interesting to me in 20 years. Just extremely bland rock music done better by bands in the 70s.

Moon Shaped Pool is really good, best since Hail to the Thief easy

extendedsolo

Reaction score
:nuts:
Moon Shaped Pool is really good, best since Hail to the Thief easy

I would agree! The new arrangement and feel of True Love Waits is great. You'll never find me being a defender of In Rainbows or King of Limbs though. I thought Hail to the Theif, while good and better than Amnesiac had a couple of serious clunkers on it. I wouldn't say the same about Ok computer The Bends or Amnesiac.

wankerness

Reaction score
:nuts:

I would agree! The new arrangement and feel of True Love Waits is great. You'll never find me being a defender of In Rainbows or King of Limbs though. I thought Hail to the Theif, while good and better than Amnesiac had a couple of serious clunkers on it. I wouldn't say the same about Ok computer The Bends or Amnesiac.

MFW I READ THIS POST

Wrestling_Fans_display_image.jpg

In Rainbows is their best album, besides maybe The Bends.

I still haven't listened to the new one, despite having a physical copy of it sitting next to my computer for months now :( I REALLY like True Love Waits based on the piano arrangement on the same-named album by Christopher O'Riley, though!

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Alright, I'll go for the reverse challenge just to prove that not every band gets worse/loses focus.
Bands that got better:
Death, as has been mentioned
Emperor
Revocation
Behemoth
Decrepit Birth
Faceless

The big caveat is that a lot of death metal and grindcore bands improved their sound or just kept it consistent and added little touches through time, but deserve credit for keeping it awesome (give or take an album or two) and occasionally finding new ways to up their game:
Misery Index
Napalm Death (short early 90s stuff)
Carcass (short Swan Song)
Nile
Mors Principium Est
Hour of Penance
At the Gates
Exhumed
Bolt Thrower
Brutal Truth (prior to reunion and short Rich's drumming)
Bloodbath (up till Fathomless)
Just to name a few. There are a lot of bands that I find myself more likely to listen to the latest album, clearly not always the case. But I do think there are plenty of bands that work well together and figure out through time what works better and what doesn't.

oc616

Control Deck Wins
Reaction score
I wanted to say Fear Factory, but Genexus is actually on par with Obsolete, and Soul of a New Machine isn't that great compared to 90% of their catalog.

In Flames, but I liked their Reroute to Remain - ASOP era best rather than the REALLY old school stuff. These last 2 albums plus the teasers for their new album are pretty bland to me.

Viginez

Reaction score
Pestilence - because no more Martin van Drunen.
Morbid Angel - because no more fire in the playing or songwriting.
Mayhem - because no more Dead, Euronymous, or Count Grishnackh.
also deicide is a joke after the hoffman era

')