Bands Whose Tone you like, But Don't Like Their Music? Or Like their Music, not tone?

• Thread starter scottro202
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Ah mate no way! Whitechapel's tone on This Is Exile is fucking crushing! The fizz really helps it deliver, It's not fizz as much as it's just super saturated. It is death metal after all!

:agreed:

The mix on This Is Exile is actually superb.

I love Textures but I'm not keen on the tone, sounds a bit wooly. But it works for them as a band I guess.

:scratch:

Have you heard their most recent album Silhouettes? Biggest tone EVER.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
In Flames' oldest tones with their Valvestate 8100 heads are a little gritty for my tastes in places. An example would be the otherwise beautiful arpeggiated riffs in Moonshield (one of my favorite songs of all time, I'll have you know) that just sound like a wash of noise. When they're just playing power chords or third harmonies (read: most of the time :lol:), it works wonders for them.

Death on The Sound of Perseverance is an interesting duality for me. The rhythm tone = :poop:, yet I actually like it when he switches over to lead. So many metal guys these days are going with smoother lead tones to contrast the cutting treble of their rhythm tones, but Chuck said "fuck that." It fits his leads too; shrill and piercing, as if screaming forth from the void before being choked off. It reminds me of the way Chuck died, actually: it wasn't pretty, yet he was full of edge and vitality to his last...oh God, I'm getting way too deep in all of this. :lol:

Decrepit Birth's tone frustrates me a little too. There are some br00tal passages that I wished used a little more gain; however, their more intricate chords and melodies benefit from less. Incidentally, I love this band (and the two before it) despite hating the tone in places. I guess it just goes to show you that content > tone (a classic manifestation of the "ideas" vs. "execution" debate) in the end, though they're both important. :shrug:

EDIT: 1,666 posts. :evil:

Arminius

Reaction score
The most recent Morbid Angel album. I love covenant onwards tone-wise, but Heretic sounds like a V-amp :ugh:

-mouse-

Such a strange numb
Reaction score
Dir en grey is awesome, but marrow of a bone was shit in terms of tone. Ryojoku no ame was fucking phenomenal though.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Love Korn and Slipknot, never heard a tone from either that I've liked. I know Korn kinda have their own sound its supposed to be like that, but I don't like it :lol: The clean parts I like, but not the distortion.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Love Korn and Slipknot, never heard a tone from either that I've liked. I know Korn kinda have their own sound its supposed to be like that, but I don't like it :lol: The clean parts I like, but not the distortion.

Really? I can't listen to Slipknot's Iowa because the whole thing sounds like a big wall of white noise to me. You like that tone?

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
I fuckin love misery signals but that tone just hurts my ears sometimes :lol:

fretninjadave

Seven String Samurai
Reaction score
Metallica Has fuckin awesome tone but I dont particularly like them .

Jason Becker Is king But His tone could have used some work.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Criss Oliva's tone on a decent amount of old Savatage stuff is pretty bad (this is what happens when you use two SD-1's chained together :lol: ) but the music is so awesome that it doesn't matter.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score

Really? I thought the Follow The Leader tone was sickkkkkk.

Really? I can't listen to Slipknot's Iowa because the whole thing sounds like a big wall of white noise to me. You like that tone?

Attention skills again huh? :lol:

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
That's easy.

As mentioned before, Pain of Salvation has the worst tones ever, which does not reduce their level of awesomeness. To a lesser extent, I'm not that excited about Children of Bodom's guitar tones either, even though I'm a diehard fan (well, at least I was until the latest 2 albums). And I'm not a fan of Adam Jones's tone on any of Tool's albums, save for 10,000 Days.

Someone recently posted a few Nickelback videos to show their amazing (yet, to some, not quite original) tone, even though they're so boring to my ears. Overall, mainstream American rock bands usually have great tones (albeit often not heavy), and I tend not to like them.

However, to me, the best example of a like the tone/don't like the music is Evergrey. I never really cared for the band, but their latest album has such an incredible tone that I often find myself listening to it just for the sake of those crushing 6505's/Invaders. Well, that and their kickass singer, too.

Anthony

Banned
Reaction score
I love Spawn Of Possession's music, but the tone fucking blows in my opinion. It makes everything sound sloppy.

dexmix

enginerd
Reaction score
i love pantera's tone :( although it is retarded thin.

also i love white zombie's la sexorcisto album so much, but the tone is pretty weak and muffled compared to modern high gain amp tones.

point being, tone is so subjective... i think alot of 'bad' tones give bands character. *shrugs*

')