Bands Whose Tone you like, But Don't Like Their Music? Or Like their Music, not tone?

• Thread starter scottro202
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
Agreed on PoS
BTBaM's tone is weak as fuck
Akercocke's lead sounds like it was played on a jazz box

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Great Music bad tone:
I like animals as leaders, but the rhythm tone on the album is bad. The clean tones are awesome. Bulb who recorded the album, got better at dialing in the pod after that album was recorded, but it was too late.

Nile. How can they make it so far into their careers without realizing that music is sound? Black Seeds of Vengeance and Annihilation of the Wicked were both listenable(but certainly not good), but everything else in their career before Those Whom the Gods Detest had awful tones.

See I'm the exact opposite on the AAL tone. :lol: Funny thing.

Some Nile albums are horrendously recorded. I was listening to them play through one of their songs, Black Seeds Of Vengence actually, and I thought wow those riffs sound awesome. I went to listen to the album version, and the production was so bad I didn't recognise it. That said, the new album sounds a lot better production wise, just how it should be.

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
Agreed on PoS
I thought I was the only person who thought that. I don't care for any tone that has ever came from the studio they record at.

See I'm the exact opposite on the AAL tone. :lol: Funny thing.

Some Nile albums are horrendously recorded. I was listening to them play through one of their songs, Black Seeds Of Vengence actually, and I thought wow those riffs sound awesome. I went to listen to the album version, and the production was so bad I didn't recognise it. That said, the new album sounds a lot better production wise, just how it should be.
I was so relieved when I heard Whom the Gods Detest. I couldn't even believe it. :lol:

Waelstrum

All Fourths Advocate
Reaction score
This is probably more the recording quality than tone, but the broke up before I was born, so I've sadly never heard them live, Cacophony. Some of the greatest stuff musically that there is, but I find it hard to listen to.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Gotta agree with you there. About 90% of their rhythm tones have been pretty awful on record. I like Paul's lead tone though, both high-gain and "Jazz". Their live tone is better though, especially on the Alaska stuff.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Porcupine Tree.

It fucking love their music and their production is amazing BUT I don't understand why Steven Wilson uses that super-fuzzy lead tone. It just doesn't fit in the music as it could.

Also I don't like Lamb Of God tones, but I like their music.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
All the Randy-era Ozzy stuff. Great songs, absolutely hate the guitar tone. I like lots of old punk bands, like the Misfits, but their guitar tones are pretty crappy.

Reaction score
Suffocation. Definitely one of my favorite death metal bands but the only good tones they have are on Despise the Sun. Pierced from Within I guess as well, if just for the disgustingness factor.

Most of the deathcore I've heard - Hate the music, but the tone is usually CRUSHING.

Man, I read this thread, and the whole time I was thinking this thread is totally about Suffocation. They fell victim to that early DM production fail Max mentioned on the first page, to a greater extent than the other bands.

Speaking of, Vader. Their early work is completely unlistenable because of the electric kazoo like guitar tone. It sounds like they played ten watt Crate amps through a metal zone and a fan from walmart. However, they remedied that with the release of the 25th anniversary record. Jesus Christ, the production on that album is fantastic. It punched me right in the mouth with a pair of brass knucks.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Emperor-In the Nightside Eclipse

That album needs to be re-released with better production.

Chumple Spuzz

Righteous Dude
Reaction score
don't like the music, but like the tone:
-CREED. mark tremonti has a pretty awesome guitar tone IMO, it sounds very thick and saturated but retains a tasteful amount of clarity. but...i can only listen to with arms wide open so many times.
-within the ruins. i just dont like any sort of 'core band that sells shirts with gold foil letters saying stuff like "I WILL DESTROY YOU" or "YOU ARE DEAD" or "I HAVE DESTROYED AND THEREFORE YOU ARE DEAD". i consider the music to usually be bland and repetitive and the lyrics contrived and uninspired. but these guys have a RIDICULOUS recorded tone. roaring high gain that remains tight and articulate, with flowing, smooth dualing lead tones.
like the music, but not the tone:
-already mentioned, but btbam. while their music is thoroughly amazing and awe-inspiring, the guitar tone has always been lacking. my problem is that the 1st album and the silent circus sounded a little muddy and muffled, it seemed everything was competing with eachother. then alaska came out, and while the tone was a little too treble-y and fizzy for my taste, the guitars sounded cleaner and the balance was much more enjoyable, all instruments had their proper spot in the mix. but then colors came out, and it went back to being super muddy. fortunately, theyre so good that the album remains one of my favorites.

blister7321

Reaction score
^my amp tone is an exact replica of tremonti's (though i add chorus) ive always loved that sound do you like alter bridge tho

ryzorzen

shake and bake!
Reaction score
man early in flames has terrible tone, but the music is so awesome still... now they are the exact opposite :(

The Beard

Suttbex
Reaction score
I LOVE After The Burial, but their tone on Forging A Future Self is terribleeeeeeeee :squint: I'm growing extremely anxious to hear new recordings from those guys :shred:

And again with the Periphery thing, (and I feel bad for saying this, seeing as I bought Jake's Triple rectifier :lol:) I loved their rhythm tone with a passion, but the change in rhythm tone for the album kinda made me like ":spock:". I don't dislike the tone, it was just better before :agreed:
And they're still one of my favorite bands of all time :cool:

Reaction score
+1
i think rusty cooley is a god among men but his tone is horrible...IMO.
on that same token the same goes for bloodbath! WTF is that tone supposed to be? i could literally plug my guitar into my mouth and use my asshole as a speaker and get a better tone but their music is SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK.

:wallbash:

That tone is literally the reason Bloodbath exist.

AlucardXIX

Is Encircle
Reaction score
I honestly though Threat Signals last album could have used a bit of a tone boost. Great music though.

I'm sure it's been said before: Born of Osiris - A Higher Place. Dammit the music is incredible, but the tone is just so bad.

And I'd really like to hear After The Burial's "Forging A Future Self" re-recorded with a solid tone.

Steve08

Reaction score
:wallbash:

That tone is literally the reason Bloodbath exist.
Talking about the "buzzsaw" tone from a Boss HM-2 with everything cranked on 10? More than likely, and while it's not "pretty" I think it's pretty damn awesome myself and I love most of the bands that use it (Entombed, Unleashed, Dismember etc.)

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
man early in flames has terrible tone, but the music is so awesome still...

Agreed there.
I LOVE After The Burial, but their tone on Forging A Future Self is terribleeeeeeeee :squint: I'm growing extremely anxious to hear new recordings from those guys :shred:

And again with the Periphery thing, (and I feel bad for saying this, seeing as I bought Jake's Triple rectifier :lol:) I loved their rhythm tone with a passion, but the change in rhythm tone for the album kinda made me like ":spock:". I don't dislike the tone, it was just better before :agreed:
And they're still one of my favorite bands of all time :cool:

Again agreed.

I honestly though Threat Signals last album could have used a bit of a tone boost. Great music though.

Yeah it kinda lacked the low end of the first album. Still a great tone, and even better music imo, just not quite so boomy.

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
Talking about the "buzzsaw" tone from a Boss HM-2 with everything cranked on 10? More than likely, and while it's not "pretty" I think it's pretty damn awesome myself and I love most of the bands that use it (Entombed, Unleashed, Dismember etc.)

mmm i love that tone when its done right... I really love Bloodbath's Resurrection Through Carnage tone... and Black Breath has a great take on this sound :metal:

')