Bands Whose Tone you like, But Don't Like Their Music? Or Like their Music, not tone?

• Thread starter scottro202
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dexmix

enginerd
Reaction score
+3 for Meshuggah. Shit music, awesome tone :metal:

i'm kind of offended? I listened to Meshuggah a couple times, and didn't get into it - but i never thought it was crap. It was only recently that i actually enjoyed their music, but again - i never thought it was total crap. :noway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shortens

Reaction score
I guess i won't make friends but i really like the rhythm tone on Bring Me The Horizon's Suicide Season. Another one would be the tone of Veil of Maya.

Zamm Bell

My name is Sam Bell
Reaction score
Meshuggah are awesome, personaly i cant listen to a whole album in one sitting because my eyes start to melt slightly.

Blood has been shed, awesome songs, but personaly in my opinion there tone could be improved easly.

Doomcreeper

Whitechapel
Reaction score
Children of Bodom, I love how the guitars sound in their songs, and I love their music but the tone on its own, or at least when I dial in something similar it sounds pretty bad

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
I guess i won't make friends but i really like the rhythm tone on Bring Me The Horizon's Suicide Season. Another one would be the tone of Veil of Maya.
Same actually, bmth's tone is pretty nice.
VoM's tone is kickass, but they're a sweet band :agreed:

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
Meshuggah's tone goes perfectly with their music and lyrical themes.
It's so cold and mechanical.
:wub:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, it solidifies how niche Meshuggah's sound is... both tone and composition. To me, it's not something that's a matter of "liking" and "not liking"... just appreciating.

FWIW, their tone on Obzen sounds amazing for what's going on there, but it'd sound shit on most other recordings. You know... niche like. :2c:

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Iniquity had god awful tone but damn their stuff was awesome.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I really liked the production on the Otep album "The Ascension". The drums and bass sound especially great. Not a fan of the album but I gave it several tries just because of the sound.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll say NIN. With the exception of a couple of tracks on Broken and pretty much everything on The Fragile, the guitar tone just sounds a little too restrained and 'tasteful' if you will for an industrial band :shrug:

Don't get me wrong, i absolutely LOVE the band, but i'm always a touch surprised by how un-obscene the guitars are.

I'll also add (and get stoned for) Carcass. I really like their stuff, but the mixing and the guitar tone really puts me off. It's like listening to mud :(

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll also add (and get stoned for) Carcass. I really like their stuff, but the mixing and the guitar tone really puts me off. It's like listening to mud :(

:agreed:

That's some sludgy, shitty tone. I have to REALLY be in the mood to listen to it, honestly. Which is unfortunate, cause I really love the songs.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
Well, it solidifies how niche Meshuggah's sound is... both tone and composition. To me, it's not something that's a matter of "liking" and "not liking"... just appreciating.

Y'know, I kinda agree with you. I have a deep admiration for Meshuggah, though I don't really like the songs in the same aception as other bands. The polyrhythms are killer enough to be worth a listen IMO, but I'm not excited about the rest.

And I think their guitar tone fits their style perfectly.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
^ i like the deftones tones...that seems odd to say. the early albums were shit but their newer ones have nice tone.

Gotta agree there man. Around the furs' guitar tone is so punchy and tight. Up there in my top ten of guitar tones is Steph Carpenter :hbang:

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
:agreed:

That's some sludgy, shitty tone. I have to REALLY be in the mood to listen to it, honestly. Which is unfortunate, cause I really love the songs.

Agreed :) They have some really great songs, if only they were mixed by someone other than what i assume is a deaf, blind old man with one foot already in the grave.

tiny6996

the baritone of iowa
Reaction score
I like god forbids new album but the tone sounds like theres less mids than pantera and a lazy bass but the music is ok on it :wavey::flame:

and five finger death punches tone just sounds like a stereotypical scoop with not alot of bottom:shred::fawk:

old megadeth it sounds to raunchy it wouldve been cool to see dave try something outside of marshall besides line6:shred::bowdown:

Latest posts

')