Bands with 3 guitarists

• Thread starter halsinden
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
what do people think of them? any bands that have used this format and done well with it?

and nope, i'm not really a fan of iron maiden. at all.

similarly, there was a band on the same label as interlock (my old band) for a while who had 3 guitarists. the inbreds. i wasn't a fan of that, either.

i seem to remember a band called sacred sin who had 3 though, they were really good.

H

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
The only band with 3 guitarists I can think of right now is whitechapel and it works very well, they kick ass :hbang:

Mazzakazza

Reaction score
I'm in one. Kinda

We use a third guitarist (our singer) in just a few songs, where we wanna add more meat to a rythym section, and layer lead over the top. Recording, the other guitarists play those live parts that he covers, its just a pure functionality thing, where we feel that rythym behind a break is thin.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
Although it's not a constant 3rd guitarist and although it's not metal, I went to see Oceansize on saturday night at the Hi Fi Bar in Melbourne. It was awesome stuff. Here's one of their songs which features their bassist as a 3rd guitarist. Apologies for the sound, my camera doesn't have the greatest mic.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
The singer in my band is a good strummer, so we do some layering around him at times. But we're not a metal band, I imagine it's hell both writing for and playing tightly in a 3-guitarist metal band. I have a hard enough time writing for two guitarists in my metal band.

PnKnG

Banned
Reaction score
The singer in my band is a good strummer, so we do some layering around him at times. But we're not a metal band, I imagine it's hell both writing for and playing tightly in a 3-guitarist metal band. I have a hard enough time writing for two guitarists in my metal band.

Well often with 3 guitarists its 2 rhythm guitar that play in harmony with each other of some sort and 1 lead guitar.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Eh I watched some emo-ish band live at a bamboozle that my friends wanted to watch and they had 3 guitarists. Seemed over-excessive since the 2 of them were doing something and the 3rd guy would just do backup vocals and strum a few chords on occasion.

Some people make it work beautifully other people are the equivalent of 8 string guitarists who use 3 strings.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Although it's not a constant 3rd guitarist and although it's not metal, I went to see Oceansize on saturday night at the Hi Fi Bar in Melbourne. It was awesome stuff. Here's one of their songs which features their bassist as a 3rd guitarist. Apologies for the sound, my camera doesn't have the greatest mic.

Oceansize FTW :hbang:

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
JONAS BROTHERS! Nobody said it had to be good bands with 3 guitarists.

Setnakt

il Brutto
Reaction score
Esoteric. They are epic psychadelic funeral doom, and many songs are arranged with 1 distorted rhythm guitar, one clean rhythm guitar walking through an arpeggio or whatever, and the third guitar playing lead which really carries the melody (and is played by the vocalist I believe). Besides their bass player and drummer they also have a keyboard player. The mix gets a little busy, but that's the point :metal: They're also one of my favorite bands. http://www.myspace.com/esotericuk

Last edited:

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I guess that depends on how you define "doing well" - I've never heard of Periphery outside of this forum whereas EVERYONE knows Freebird and every metal fan knows Maiden.

I think Hal was referring more to actually getting a working band with 3 guitarists without their egos exploding, rather than becoming famous as it were.

When I saw Placebo live, they had a third guitarist, also found this band on myspace who are pretty good, they have 3 guitarists and 2 vocalists:

http://www.myspace.com/millicentgroveuk

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
i heard in flames did this but i don't know if that's true or not. i think having 3 guitarists would make some things easier to pull off live. i know there are a lot of songs i hear that have a riff in the background and then a harmony over top. i'd imagine it's difficult to pull that off live with just 2 guitarists although i've seen some of these bands live and it seems to sound just fine. i'm not really sure what the hell is going on up there on stage, though :shrug:

')