Bands you kick yourself for not getting in to sooner.

• Thread starter Grand Moff Tim
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

piggins411

Reaction score
^ I don't know how big of a fan I was, but the live show is definitely entertaining. Pretty original.

I wish I had gotten into BTBAM earlier. I found out (after the fact of course) that Colors Live had been recorded just 20-30 minutes down the road from where I live. I would have KILLED to be there

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
Mark got into them first, and then we played with them at Soundwave where they killed it, and then he would play it in the bus after every show. I swear I have their songs stuck in my head more than any other band these days. Some bands have that x-factor which is just inexplicable and unquantifiable, and they have it in droves. I also have to admit that I think their aesthetic, as "gimmicky" as some might find it, is SO fucking cool haha!
We rock that shit often now! And now when they come to the 9:30 Club in DC I'll be able to fully appreciate them, so I can't wait!

Fktpguitfiddle

Reaction score
i should've gotten into sikth, fell silent, and obscura earlier.... and honestly death. big influences that would've benefited my angsty teen self.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Mercyful Fate (it was the mid 90s before I ever really gave it a listen).
I'd listened to KD for several years before delving backwards.

NovaReaper

Banned
Reaction score
I come to this forum all the time because I value the opinions of other folks when it comes to sorting through all the high-gain bullshit, but let me just tuck that respect away for a minute and say this:

Blackwater Park is the best metal album ever, ever made. Sure, there are great albums out there, but they don't even come close to this masterpiece of an album. It has absolutely everything someone wants from a metal album. Think about it.

It is progressive metal. - The phrasing and composition is top notch
It is sludge metal. - Repetitive, thick riffage
It is thrash metal. - Bleak. 'Nuff said.
It's stoner metal. - Main riff in title track.
It's doomy at times.
It's death metal. (Obviouuuus)
It's black(ish) metal. - Bleak again
It's alt-rock. - Harvest/Patterns in the ivy
It is expressive and soft. (see above)
It is heartfelt. (The entire album)
Brutal as fuck vocals - It's Mikael Akerfeldt we're talking about here, c'mon.
Soft as fuck vocals. - Same as above.

I consider it the inarguable pinnacle of metal.

You can flame me. You can neg rep me. But, as I said, it's inarguable to me.

Hmm, but to contribute...

Mastodon, probably. They went on tour with Opeth for the Heritage Hunter tour, and a whole contingent of Opethians like myself got butthurt because the music wasn't even remotely what we had expected. I, with others, dismissed Mastodon as 'just another metal band'. I gotta say I was wrong about 'em. I fucking can't tell you how big a breath of fresh air they were when I finally dove into their discography. Sure, Brent Hinds is a fucking shithead and a total washout, but you could say the same about many, many, many musicians.

So, Mastodon.

are you wearing a fedora while typing this

Gamma362

Loomis Fanboy
Reaction score
Nevermore, heard a few tracks in highschool, had Dead heart, In a dead world on my ipod (got it from my older sister) it didnt click with me at the time so I never really listened to them, Finally got to college and gave them a chance, and now Jeff Loomis is my favorite guitarist and biggest influence and Nevermore is my Favorite band.

Devin Townsend as well. I had heard about him and heard strapping before, but never really gave it a chance and again now that I have he is one of my favorite Musicians and guitarists.

cfrank

Reaction score
Frank Zappa.

Why? Listen from 05:36 to 06:30. That shit sounds so hard to be played in a modern environment and just to think that it was written almost 40 years ago...

My dad has a load of Zappa records laying around and i only took a listen recently and i was blown away. Some of it is really technical and has really crazy arrangements but his slower stuff is amazing too. I had these records laying around since i was a kid... and i only took the time to listen to them now :scream:

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I've been a John 5 fan for a long time, but I wish I would have paid more attention to him back when he was playing with Manson.

ghost_of_karelia

Utrydd dei Svake
Reaction score
Mastodon.

I'd heard tracks like Curl of the Burl plenty of times, but I never really registered them as I was a massive alt-metal fan at the time. Really went deep into Remission a couple of months back, and now there's nowhere I go without the quartet on my iPod. With the possible exception of The Hunter (which is a little too "light" for my taste) their albums are absolute masterpieces, and I could quite happily listen to Crack the Skye every day for the rest of my life.

Goro923

Spanish Thrasher
Reaction score
As of about a week ago, both Sinister and Belphegor. Thought of them as two alright DM bands, until I listened to the right albums:

:scream::hbang::bowdown: etc.

wankerness

Reaction score
Mastodon.

I'd heard tracks like Curl of the Burl plenty of times, but I never really registered them as I was a massive alt-metal fan at the time. Really went deep into Remission a couple of months back, and now there's nowhere I go without the quartet on my iPod. With the possible exception of The Hunter (which is a little too "light" for my taste) their albums are absolute masterpieces, and I could quite happily listen to Crack the Skye every day for the rest of my life.

Hmm, I guess I could sort of answer them in this topic. I DID listen to them a lot from when Remission came out and just hated that album, liked Leviathan, was apathetic about Blood Mountain, and then just didn't even notice Crack the Skye until someone made me listen to the Hunter and I loved that and ended up going back to Crack the Skye and being blown away. I could have spent an extra 2 years listening to it! >:O

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Isis. Only got into them after they broke up. Really hoping for a comeback tour some day.

TheFerryMan

Sauvage
Reaction score
For me it's metal in general, Didn't really dive headfirst into it until my senior year in high school.

particular band though, BTBAM

')