Bands You Think Are Under-Rated?

• Thread starter Scar Symmetry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I know...maybe 10 other people in between MA & NH who know of them so over hear they're under-rated/obscure.

The Fall of Troy, again, unless I tell someone of this band or they hear them in my car they don't know of them

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I don't think you could really call Minus the Bear "underrated". I'm tired of hearing about them, because people talk about them all the time. I guess that could be partially because I'm from the Seattle area, but even on another forum I used to post on, everybody was crazy about them.

that could be the same for any of the bands that has been listed in this thread though. I'd agree that Minus the Bear aren't uner-rated per se, but it's quite likely that there could be a town and/or forum that are crazy about Textures, for example.

Varkatzas

Reaction score
Dragonforce, Job For A Cowboy, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Lit, Smashmouth, Hatebreed and Static X

Reaction score
I say we make a sticky with recommendations of bands in the most prevalent sub-genres, whose with me?

Thin_Ice_77

You'll never make it
Reaction score
Architects. I know I go on about them a lot but it's because they're fucking awesome and don't get as much love as they deserve, they're extremely talented musicians.

I think Dragonforce kind of are too. They're hated by a lot of people for reasons that I sometimes think are bogus. Yes, they're cheesy but they are very good at what they do. People focus too much on the guitars and then claim they can only play fast, which isn't true at all. The vocal lines are very melodic and Sam writes all of them on guitar. Seriously, the new album isn't all speed at all, I think some people should give them a chance, they're not 100% serious, just a few guys having fun.

Municipal Waste is another one, they're the best thrash band IMO. And I don't like thrash in general.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
not really, their new stuff is still pretty techy.

2005/2006 I was really into them, their sound was really unique and I think their old vocalist was a lot better.

now they sound like Bring Me The Horizon meets Dead Swans meets Meshuggah.

Hollow Crown is a cool record, but it's very samey and I can't stand their new vocalist.

good live, but they could do without the egos.

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
I know they've been mentioned already but Anata. They are the absolute perfect example of a band that is amazing but absolutely unknown. The Conductors Departure is definitely one of the best albums of the genre.
http://www.myspace.com/anata

I bought their cd, went home and listened to it all the way through. After it was over I realized I had been staring at the wall and had forgot I existed. I then got up and hit play, sat down and did it again. I listened to skullgrid that way twice a day or more for a very long time.
http://www.myspace.com/beholdthearctopus

Dysrhythmia is an instrumental prog. rock band. Every member in the band is incredible. 2 of them are members of the new Gorguts lineup.
http://www.myspace.com/dysrhythmiaband

Zevious is a jazz band. I don't listen to jazz, but I heard them and was hooked instantly.
http://www.myspace.com/zevioustrio

The text editor gave me a hard time with this post.

Thin_Ice_77

You'll never make it
Reaction score
You probably know by now that I don't like too much tech in songs, so I think Hollow Crown is the best album yet. Nightmares is good, but it sounded like they were trying too hard with the techy bits and I wasn't a fan of the vocalist at all. I think Hollow Crown has a pretty cool balance and even though you like Matt better, I think you have to admit Sam is better at singing.

For me it has all the elements, it's aggressive but they definitely show that they're not just one trick ponies so Hollow Crown is my favourite album I own. I agree with the BMTH and Dead Swans comparison but I'm not too sure how they sound like Meshuggah?

I never really saw them as egotisical either, care to explain that a little further?

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
the old vocalist did proper singing?

Early Grave = Meshuggah, 1:08 into Borrowed Time = Meshuggah, Dead March = Meshuggah :yesway:

when I saw them live a few years ago they just came off as really cocky, especially their new vocalist who as I said I can't stand. egos are really not my cup of tea, especially if a band is good and knows it. in fact, after that show I went off them completely until Hollow Crown was released, funny how a band's personality can affect how you feel about their music.

Rotatous

Reaction score
not really, their new stuff is still pretty techy.

2005/2006 I was really into them, their sound was really unique and I think their old vocalist was a lot better.

now they sound like Bring Me The Horizon meets Dead Swans meets Meshuggah.

Hollow Crown is a cool record, but it's very samey and I can't stand their new vocalist.

good live, but they could do without the egos.

God, I fucking HATE their new vocalist. :noplease:

')