Bands You Think Are Under-Rated?

• Thread starter Scar Symmetry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I think underrated, I think of popular bands that are better than they're given credit for. For example, I'd say Bon Jovi are underrated. In order to be underrated, people have to know about you. That's why I wouldn't say for example Pain of Salvation are underrated, because they're just underknown. Someone said to me that Shawn Lane was underrated, that's ridiculous, everyone who's heard him knows he's awesome, so he's not underrated.

Also, I think Dream Theater are musically underrated, but technically overrated. Mike Portnoy isn't a very dynamic drummer, but he's one of the most creative. I guess DT are more "misunderstood" than anything else.

I don't listen to Nickelback, but I'd say they are underrated. KISS are underrated.

B36arin

Reaction score
The Haunted is the first band that springs to mind. Somebody has mentioned Nevermore, I wouldn't call them underrated. Almost everybody that I know that has actually heard a few songs loves them, and righty so.

SerratedSkies

Reaction score
Mors Principium Est
Gorod
Insomnium
The Haunted
Veil of Maya

Five of my favorite bands, and they all don't get enough credit.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
When I think underrated, I think of popular bands that are better than they're given credit for. For example, I'd say Bon Jovi are underrated. In order to be underrated, people have to know about you. That's why I wouldn't say for example Pain of Salvation are underrated, because they're just underknown. Someone said to me that Shawn Lane was underrated, that's ridiculous, everyone who's heard him knows he's awesome, so he's not underrated.
Exactly what I've been saying all along. In order to be UNDER-rated, you have to be "rated" in the first place.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Exactly what I've been saying all along. In order to be UNDER-rated, you have to be "rated" in the first place.

I guess the term underrated is misused and taken for "unknown" and "deserving of more media attention" or whatever...

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
Have to agree, Marillion (and Fish for that matter) are both highly underrated. Both groups garner an entire audience singing along with every song and have a very dedicated following. Both Fish and Steve H. have quite a bit of talent in crowd control respectively, too.

I'd also add Stephen Kent, Susheela Raman and Azam Ali (who is getting a little more exposure due to her work on films). Again, an issue of involving the crowd a bit more in their respective music and an insane amount of talent each.

Allan Holdsworth, Tony Levin, Trey Gunn, Don Schiff, Bob Culbertson and Steve Adelson also come to mind very quickly. (This group may end up being given the label of "musicians' musician.)

Way back when, I'd have added Peter Gabriel especially with the amount of work he's put into WOMAD and other similiar projects/programs through the years and thankfully more and more artists are able to say, "thank you, Peter" as they themselves get more radio play (often times in their own respective countries). "In Your Eyes," "Shock the Monkey" and "Sledgehammer" are hardly all of what he was/is capable of doing...

Another pair of fairly famous people that should be mentioned as being under-rated are Les Claypool, and Victor Wooten, both of whom have been maligned for being "sloppy" more often than not by their respective detractors (and yes, sometimes they both were). The flip-side of this is that when they respectively get very serious and are playing covers of someone "important" (Miles Davis in the case of Les and Charles Mingus in the case of Vic) they are respectively impressive players. Both of them with their own respective music is quite a bit more light-hearted.

Wiz

Reaction score
This is an awesome thread and I learned about a hundred new bands from it :) Thank you all.

OnImpulse

Reaction score
DUDE!

Shaman

ULVER!!

aaaaand Arcturus

and of course devin townsend. but he seems pretty popular on this thread already XD

B

brock22

Amazon's Daily Deal is offering a FREE metal/rock sampler here w/ stuff from Stratovarius, Deep Purple, Dio, Alice Cooper...all semi-underrated bands that I'm loving right now. Theres nothing to lose cuz these 10 tracks are free and you can just trash em if you dont want em, so enjoy guys ;)

-TheWickerMan-

Reaction score
gorod
gory blister
iniquity
aeon of horus
the revenge project
negura bunget
akroma
gorguts
nervecell
depresy