Bands You'd like to see move up to 7 strings

• Thread starter JacksonKE2Shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
The Black Dahlia Murder
Between The Buried And Me
Protest The Hero
Conducting From the Grave
Despised Icon
The Faceless
The Red Chord

-mouse-

Such a strange numb
Reaction score
i'm with everybody on the fact that Protest should use 7's... they could keep their half step down tuning, but with an added A# for sickness :)

I'd also love to see what chevelle could do with it...

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
Allan Holdswoth, The Faceless, Veil Of Maya, Red Sea's Fire, Guthrie Govan?

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Metallica - hopefully they'd write something heavy and not shitty.

I'm really really hoping Opeth doesn't go to 7's.

dexmix

enginerd
Reaction score
not sure why you would want karnivool going to sevens.

they already do drop B, with the 3 high strings in standard. so its not like they would really gain any range or change their sound.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Of course they would gain range they'd have an extra string! :lol:

Yeah, they sure would gain range, after all, a seven is an extended range instrument. :yesway:

What I think he was trying to say is that a band that already tunes lower doesn't benefit from it in the same in that a band that only uses E standard or drop D would. I guess... :D

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Yeah, they sure would gain range, after all, a seven is an extended range instrument. :yesway:

What I think he was trying to say is that a band that already tunes lower doesn't benefit from it in the same in that a band that only uses E standard or drop D would. I guess... :D

?

So, they wouldn't have more notes in the upper register than they did on a 6 string? I'm confused.

*edit* and I forgot -- I came in here to say I'd love to see Haunted Shores make the jump.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
?

So, they wouldn't have more notes in the upper register than they did on a 6 string? I'm confused.

*edit* and I forgot -- I came in here to say I'd love to see Haunted Shores make the jump.

No, let me explain, this is what I understood:

- Scenario 1: a band plays in standard tuning and moves to a seven-string guitar. The different is noticeable right away, the tuning gets lower and you can hear it.

- Scenario 2: a band plays in B, drop B, Drop A, Drop Bb, whatever and switchs to a seven-string guitar. Unless they tune even lower, the difference in the overall sound is smaller. You get an extra high string that is not going to be used in every riff, opposed to the guys getting the benefit from the lower register they didn't use before.

The truth is that a seven always means more range, but if a band already tunes lower the WTF factor when listening to a new song isn't so big, sometimes not even noticeable. Cappice now? :yesway:

dexmix

enginerd
Reaction score
The high highs are still there with Karnivool's normal tuning on the top 3 strings. Karnivool doesn't do sweeps.

They can hit the lowest B, and the highest note a 7 string can. All the same notes are on the fretboard. just maybe not as close as they would be on a 7 string.

')