Bands you've discovered through supporting main acts

• Thread starter Skullet
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
saw killswitch engage support soilwork and hypocrisy days before "Alive or Just Breathing" dropped. they were the best band of the night, and at the time I was a huge soilwork fanboy.

saw leprous supporting therion. left after their set :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leveebreaks

Dooooooooom
Reaction score
Meshuggah supporting Machine Head and Mary Beats Jane in 1995 was pretty special, think it was the obZen tour.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
When I saw Nuerosis opening for Pantera in 96(?). What a mind blowing experience.

They had just released "Through Silver in Blood", and I bought that CD as soon as I could. Very inspirational to my young musical mind st the time.

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
/flameshieldon

Periphery opening for Dream Theater.

I had resisted "the hype" and never listened to more than one song at once.

I don't give their albums a listen often, but when I do, I go the whole way through instead of just one and then changing.

/flameshieldoff

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
Meshuggah supporting Machine Head and Mary Beats Jane in 1995 was pretty special, think it was the obZen tour.

definitely not the obzen tour bro :D DEI came out at that time.

first time I saw Meshuggah was opening up for Tool in 2001, but they were already my favorite band at that point. :)

outlawzeng

Reaction score
Lazer/Wulf opening up for Orange Goblin was awesome.

Thy Art is Murder opening Summer Slaughter this year. That was an unexpected surprise

Skullet

Reaction score
Forgot all about RSJ - opened for American Head Charge 2 weeks ago here and to be honest , left AHC for dead !

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
most recently Windhand

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Found out about The Atlas Moth when they opened for Devin Townsend Project and Gojira, though I started listening to them months before the show and was very very pleased. They did a fantastic job live, too.

Cynic when they opened for Between the Buried and Me. Only reason I went to the show was to see Devin Townsend anyway, I wasn;t a huge BtBaM fan at the time but they had a great set. It was around when The Great Misdirect came out, which is now my favourite album of theirs.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Fates Warning opening for Dream Theater and Queensryche (Knew a bit about them before, this show made me a fan for life)
Tesseract opening for Devin Townsend Project
Arsis opening for Exodus
Dead Letter Circus opening for Animals as Leaders (again, heard them previously, but seeing them live made me a fan)

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
@ Topic,

Augury a few years ago with TBDM.

Suffocation was one of those too, I just can't remember who it was with. Those guys are so tight live that I make sure I never miss a show.

There are definitely many other bands that I've discovered by happening to see them live that I didn't care for, but just happened to come across them for sake of getting to headliner. The Devil's Blood and Watain were two of those. Really not a fan, but good musicians I suppose.

Intronaut were like that too. They were on tour with Cynic and while I missed the show, I looked them up to see who they were and at first I didn't like them but they've grown on me a lot.

metalvince333

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Gojira opening for Trivium,Machine Head and Lamb Of God. I hated the only song I had heard from them before the show but when I stepped into the venue and they started with Ocean Planet they got my attention right away and the next day I was at the record store buying or ordering anything they had ever recorded.

Brodessa

Like a Lion.
Reaction score
Here Comes the Kraken opening up for Veil of Maya.

The Speed of Sound in Seawater opening for Hail the Sun.
Probably one of my favorite discoveries. Great math rock.

shellbound

Reaction score
Saw Dillinger open for Mr. Bungle. Had no idea who they were. Mind was promptly blown.

Saw Telefon Tel Aviv open for Godspeed you! Black Emperor. Had no idea who they were. Ditto.

Pushingink

Reaction score
Gonna date myself here but Alcatraz (I knew of them somewhat) opening for Ted Nugent around 1984. Yngwie was their lead guitarist at the time and seeing him live without knowing who he was blew me away.:hbang:

ScornEmperor

Reaction score
I went to see Rhapsody and really liked the show put on by Voyager, who had I never heard before. Sort of a gothy proggy thing going on. Their live show is what sunk it for me...they played the ghostbusters theme song and a bunch of other random stuff in a medley that was really fun.

Aha, here is the silly stuff they do:

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
Sanctity opening for Black Label Society at the House of Blues in NOLA about 5-ish years ago. I still dig the shit out of them :lol:

mcd

stuff and thangs
Reaction score
Saw Norma Jean with i think underoath...it was awhile ago. Needless to say those guys surprised the shit out of me. It was supporting O' God the Aftermath

')