Bareknuckle Painkiller v Bareknuckle Aftermath for djent

mountainjam

Reaction score
I own both sets. I prefer the aftermaths, but I think the painkillers are more suited for djent, they are very mid dominant.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Divinehippie

ESaD ;)
Reaction score
Or if you preferred PK for bridge and AM for the neck or vice versa.

anyone have some experience with this? im thinking of getting one of each and trying to figure out what the best result/placement would be for a good djent sound? i guess what im asking is what would be the best placement (PK in neck AM in bridge or vice versa) to get a great djent sound but also remain as versatile as possible?

-B

ridealot100

Reaction score
I have a PK 6 in the bridge of my Swamp Ash Custom Ibanez and I love it. I am tuned to standard and it has a really balanced and clean sound. I roll the gain back a bit and really just let my playing shine through.

I went from a D activator-X to the PK and it really made me aware of my technique. The D-activator really lets you hide, while the BKP offers little forgiveness. But you get clarity as the trade off, so who can complain.

As far as the whole "ice picky" or "mid packed" sound that everyone freaks out about, I would disagree in my case at least. Bulb really did a great job of selling the Aftermaths so they are getting a whole lot of love lately, so I would form your own opinion. There are a TON of people that have that love to toss info in without nothing but youtube videos on their side (not everyone), and everything sounds good through an axe-fx:lol:. I would honestly just try both if possible.

In the neck I have a Air Norton S and it's a nice balance overall. I play more lead than anything and both pickups offer an excellent sound.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
It's starting to get a little bit annoying with all the comments about the "djent" being the technique every time someone wants to know more about gear. Yes we know that "djent" is a way of playing but that is not what people asks about.

If someone asks "which amp is more suitable for djent?" or "which pickup is more suitable for djent?" he wants to know which product that enhances that sound most.

If I compare a Dimarzio ToneZone to a Bareknuckle Aftermath there's night and day difference in how they enhance the sound of the technique. Get it?

Exactly, JUST like if someone was to ask "Is this amp or pickup good for shred?" people don't go and say, well, really it's your technique. Come on people, we know what they really mean. Why get technical about the onomatopoeia?

orakle

djentleman
Reaction score
Fuck, stop saying it's about technique... the gear has a fuckload to do, get over it...

I'd recommend you the Aftermath, but if you want a little more output go with the Miracle Man

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
Fuck, stop saying it's about technique... the gear has a fuckload to do, get over it...

I'd recommend you the Aftermath, but if you want a little more output go with the Miracle Man

I've had both sets in the same RG7621 and preferred and stayed with the aftermaths. It has all the outpuit I could ever need and then some.

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
The painkillers is my Les Paul are the shit. Its the most no-regrets mod I ever made to a guitar.

Rayan22

Coat of Arms UAE
Reaction score
I actually spoke to BKP themselves the other day about this, as Ive just ordered a number of sets myself. this is what they told me...

The painkiller bridge and neck are both ceramic, so you dont get alot of versatility when switching between them. They give you loads of high-mids, which make its awesome for djenting.... however, most djent bands go with the aftermaths purely because they have quite a neutral/ balanced EQ response, but are much tighter on the "machine-gun" playing riffs. This means that you get a much clearer and consistent tone throughout your playing.

The aftermaths also come with a ceramic bridge, but an alnico neck which means the djent bands using them can get some rlly "petrucci" type cleans on the alnico as its far warmer and subdued.

Basically, if you're style of playing is purely only with riffing that requires high-mid boost, than go with the painkillers. But if your playing and music consists of a wide range of styles and riffs, then go with the aftermaths and EQ the tone to your liking. Either way you wont be dissapointed! :)

Reaction score
Wish i knew how much trouble fitting these pups would be before buying them but its just about rerady . Cant wit to hear it through my dual rec.

spilla

Reaction score
I love the PK neck but didnt really enjoy the bridge, the highs were to hard to tame. I havnt yet tried the AM but ive sold the PK bridge and will be getting an AM shortly.

stratjacket

Lost in a loop
Reaction score
I have both. I love both. I think you can't go wrong with either on, they'll both get the job done. It does depend on your wood combination and how it will help accent what you what though.

I had a PK bridge and Nailbomb neck set in my Carvin. It was a Mahogany body and neck. It worked really well together.

I had an Aftermath set in my Caparison that was also mahogany body and maple/ebony neck. But it was much lighter and brighter sounding than the Carvin. But the aftermaths made it sizzle, gave it a hard edge.

So my opinion is if you have a heavy dark sounding wood body, then go with the PKs. If you have something lighter/brighter sounding woods, then go with the aftermaths. But to me you're talking the difference between a Ferrari and Lamborghini, both are awesome.

Jormal1ty

Reaction score
I have both. I love both. I think you can't go wrong with either on, they'll both get the job done. It does depend on your wood combination and how it will help accent what you what though.

I had a PK bridge and Nailbomb neck set in my Carvin. It was a Mahogany body and neck. It worked really well together.

I had an Aftermath set in my Caparison that was also mahogany body and maple/ebony neck. But it was much lighter and brighter sounding than the Carvin. But the aftermaths made it sizzle, gave it a hard edge.

So my opinion is if you have a heavy dark sounding wood body, then go with the PKs. If you have something lighter/brighter sounding woods, then go with the aftermaths. But to me you're talking the difference between a Ferrari and Lamborghini, both are awesome.

Which one you would prefer on basswood body? Im thinking about trying one of them on my rg2228a.

stratjacket

Lost in a loop
Reaction score
I tried the PK on my Ibanez PGM301 which is a fixed bridge basswood body. To me it sounded too trebley, sometimes shrill sounding. I had to make presets on my AxeFx specifically for that guitar because it was so much brighter sounding than anything else i had. So IMHO I'd say the Aftermaths for that.

Jormal1ty

Reaction score
Ok im gonna try see if i can try aftermaths or maybe Lundgren m8 some time. I was going to try PKs because aftermaths are too mainstream. :cool:

stratjacket

Lost in a loop
Reaction score
Ok im gonna try see if i can try aftermaths or maybe Lundgren m8 some time. I was going to try PKs because aftermaths are too mainstream. :cool:

BKP make a lot of good pickups. Food for thought. For the PGM301 I ended up (on the recommendation from BKP support) getting a calibrated set of Holy Divers. It matches the basswood body perfect, no more shrill sounds. It sounded full, rounded and tough. I still have those in there and love them.

Saidincontext

Reaction score
Get a Dbx 266xl in your chain and set the downward expander correctly and I won't matter ;) I love my aftermath, the painkiller has more midrange for the specific tone, but it won't matter if you pick/mute sloppy, gotta have the technique

Jormal1ty

Reaction score
I heard that bkp are very unforgiving for your technique especially painkiller thats what i like about them but im not still sure if i even want to change pups thou the D activators are pretty good.

Reaction score
Well its now been 3 months since i got the pups . Are they fitted ? NO!! have been waiting on custom rings coming from the states . Been waiting on them best part of 2 months . Thanks to all you guys for advice thats been given .

guidothepimmp

Reaction score
Have you asked on the bareknuckle forum?

There you will actually get an answer from the bareknuckle folks who will probably be a bit better informed on the subject.

I think the guys name on the bk forum is Tim.

No disrespect to the knowledgeable folk here.

Edit, sorry dude, didn't read all the posts and hadn't seen you bought already. Let us know your thoughts once they're in

')