Bareknuckle Painkiller v Bareknuckle Aftermath for djent

7 strings of wonder

Reaction score
I've heard that both of these pickups are good for djent but which one is djentier? Does it have something to do with the type of wood the guitar is made out of?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

onefingersweep

Reaction score
I think Aftermath but I'm not sure. Bareknuckle is marketing the PK with the term "djent" :D The AM doesn't have an annoying upper mid at least, that I know.

No guitar has nothing to do with it since you wanted to compare the pickups to each other and not in different guitars?

But yes some pickups sounds better with certain woods and certain constructions. But that still has nothing to do with how the pickups compare to each other...

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
It's more to do with your technique than what expensive pickup you have.

But anyway, The Aftermath is geared toward that sound, so I'd go with that.

FrancescoFiligoi

Guitarist in Within Destruction / Abiogenesis
Reaction score
Given that you could make ANY pickup sound djenty woth the right technique, I think the Painkiller is more suited to that kind of sound. The Aftermath is a really good metal pickup with extreme clarity, I just think it fits a broader range of metal styles than the PK.

onefingersweep

Reaction score
It's starting to get a little bit annoying with all the comments about the "djent" being the technique every time someone wants to know more about gear. Yes we know that "djent" is a way of playing but that is not what people asks about.

If someone asks "which amp is more suitable for djent?" or "which pickup is more suitable for djent?" he wants to know which product that enhances that sound most.

If I compare a Dimarzio ToneZone to a Bareknuckle Aftermath there's night and day difference in how they enhance the sound of the technique. Get it?

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
That's the thing tho, if you have the right technique and put in the right EQ (i.e. boost the mids) you are able to get a djent sound. It is true however that some equipment is better suited to it...

Tbh, I like my ceramic WP for djent. It's more djunty tho, and you have to really roll off the bass to compensate for the wind. I think there is a video of bulb using a WP, and it obviously worked well enough for him to use it for some time.

myampslouder

Reaction score
I've heard that both of these pickups are good for djent but which one is djentier? Does it have something to do with the type of wood the guitar is made out of?

What is your guitar made out of? That will have a huge impact on the sound. I have an aftermath in my mahogany S7420 and its super clear and I can get a djenty tone but the djenty characteristics are more emphasized in basswood. Whereas the painkiller has an upper mid spike that works well with mahogany's strong low mid based tone

mhickman2

The Abiding Dude
Reaction score
I would personally go with the Aftermath. The painkiller is definitely the best pickup for that "djent" tone but I prefer the versatility of the Aftermath. The Painkiller is definitely a one trick pony.

CooleyJr

Banned
Reaction score
Talk to Nick (Zimbloth) on here about it. He's the Czar of Bareknuckles. Tell him exactly what you're looking for and let him know what you're using. Body wood, amp... He's the guy to talk to and you can even order some from him. :)

7 strings of wonder

Reaction score
What is your guitar made out of? That will have a huge impact on the sound. I have an aftermath in my mahogany S7420 and its super clear and I can get a djenty tone but the djenty characteristics are more emphasized in basswood. Whereas the painkiller has an upper mid spike that works well with mahogany's strong low mid based tone

Im getting a carvin dc727 with a swamp ash body and a 5 piece mahogy neck with 2 maple stripes. Right now i have a neck through mahogony schecter and I love it, its just not djenty enough...and its a 6 sting :)

onefingersweep

Reaction score
Im getting a carvin dc727 with a swamp ash body and a 5 piece mahogy neck with 2 maple stripes. Right now i have a neck through mahogony schecter and I love it, its just not djenty enough...and its a 6 sting :)

Go with the Aftermath and you will have a great sounding guitar and not a guitar with too much high mid. PK is a pickup you either hate or love. Aftermath is a better/safer choice IMO.

buffa d

Reaction score
I for one hated the painkiller in my rga121. Sounded really ice-picky and shrill.
Though, I do believe that it was just the wrong choice for that guitar, since it's already super bright sounding.

It's gonna get a nailbomb treatment soon. :yesway:

daos_27

Reaction score

I just ordered a Carvin DC727 with the exact same woods - Ash body with 5 piece maple and mahogany neck but mine has a maple top on the body as well (maybe yours does too) and I am tossing between BK Painkillers, BK Aftermaths, or Blackouts (phase 1).

I normally much prefer EMG over blackouts but EMG only do a soap box size 7 stirng and I would never ruin such a guitar by routing the pickup holes so you can never go back to passives!

Also with such a great quality neck through instrument that is going to have lots of natural sustain and sweet thickness from the woods I don't know if I wanna ruin the natural guitars tone by putting in pickups with an active preamp which bypasses a lot of the natural sustain and thickness..? Though I do much prefer actives in most guitars...

Let me know what you go with and how it sounds. I would also consider maybe a Painkiller and the Bridge and Aftermath or something else in the neck ...But I will probably end up going Blackouts but I will certainly not route a battery box into the wood it will be going in the cavity plate :)

I wish Lundgrens had closed covered pickups options as they might be a good option too they go well in thicker more bassy sounding woods such Ash and Basswood.

Also I would love to put a Hipshot US countour floating bridge in it but don't wanna route the rear out for the claw and springs etc. I really wish carvin were more flexible on pickup and bridge options cause it sucks to spend so much on a guitar to have to go and modify it ...but these things must be done :shred:

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
It just so happens that I have both pickups. A set of PKs in my Les Paul, and a set of Aftermaths in my RG7621. Makes it hard to compare because the construction of those guitars are so different.

I love the way the PKs cure the darker tendencies of the heavy LP. One trick pony? No way! ...and the neck pup is amazing for fluid leads as well as clean jazz.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Just a question of taste.

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
Buy both, install a set, try them out, switch them with the other set, try them out, stick with the ones you like better, and return the other set. Or if you preferred PK for bridge and AM for the neck or vice versa, then return what you didn't prefer.

BeyondAntares

Reaction score
you can get djent out of any gear and pup combination. Its more of a technique of hard pick attack with EQ'ed overdrive/distortion.

Both are decent pups - but they come wtih a high price tag.

Latest posts

')