Bareknuckle pickup decision.

• Thread starter LotsOfGrease
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Atefred

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was worried about the spikey nature of the aftermath. I see how it's perfect for djent or really fast alternate picking riff kind of stuff. I incorporate some of that in my playing but maybe not enough to have a pickup that specializes in that. I'm still holding onto the thought of the cpig I'm just concerned there will be too much bass. Is there a pick up from BK that is similar to the aftermath that's a touch smoother/ not as dry with a little more bass?
That would be the juggernaut.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
That would be the juggernaut.
I found the Juggernaut like a big hot PAF, one of my favourite pickups ever. Definitely more versatile than the Aftermath and great sustain and treble. It's hot without being over the top and clean sounds amazing.

mongey

Reaction score
Horses for courses but I found a c pig Too bass heavy in my 7.

I ended up with a cold sweat after trying a bunch.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
There was a time when the Aftermath was revered on the sevenstring forums as the greatest pickup ever made. Every pickup rec thread resulted in a chorus of “Aftermath! By god sir, Aftemath!”. And now what stands of its once proud legacy? Just shallow comparisons to the EMG and Juggernaut. A shame for our time, a relic of the fickle nature of hype.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
There was a time when the Aftermath was revered on the sevenstring forums as the greatest pickup ever made. Every pickup rec thread resulted in a chorus of “Aftermath! By god sir, Aftemath!”. And now what stands of its once proud legacy? Just shallow comparisons to the EMG and Juggernaut. A shame for our time, a relic of the fickle nature of hype.

Can't remember another status of the Aftermath than getting permanent flak on Sevenstring. Never understood why TBH, I love it.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I mean I personally like it but it has its place and plugging it into a 5150 with the bass and gain dialed back and running a 33 into it ain't it. People here also aren't a huge fan of really mid forward thin tones and I like more compression than the aftermath provides but the EQ isn't bad.

Everyone wants an amp that sounds like an already boosted Recto or Marshall and then they put an already tight pickup in it. Bad combo imo, I plugged an Ibanez with a set into a 5150 red channel and cranked the resonance and gain and it ripped.

MattThePenguin

Reaction score
I'm trying really hard to like something that isn't a c-pig because they're too damn expensive. Using Duncan Distortions and there's this weird harshness to them and less thump on the palm mutes, pickup height is the exact same and both bridges are floyds. Only thing is that the Distortions sound better clean but I think it's because the middle position on that guitar is one coil on each pickup giving it that split sound, but my guitar with the warpigs isn't wired to split at all.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I'm trying really hard to like something that isn't a c-pig because they're too damn expensive. Using Duncan Distortions and there's this weird harshness to them and less thump on the palm mutes, pickup height is the exact same and both bridges are floyds. Only thing is that the Distortions sound better clean but I think it's because the middle position on that guitar is one coil on each pickup giving it that split sound, but my guitar with the warpigs isn't wired to split at all.
I’d say give the Black winter a try, for more affordable options. It’s like an overall better version of the distortion in every way imaginable. More clarity, a little more push, and a better voicing.

I used to play in Warforged, so I think we might have somewhat similar taste in riffs and whatnot. At least, I could totally see the Black winter working for Tomarum material.

MattThePenguin

Reaction score
I’d say give the Black winter a try, for more affordable options. It’s like an overall better version of the distortion in every way imaginable. More clarity, a little more push, and a better voicing.

I used to play in Warforged, so I think we might have somewhat similar taste in riffs and whatnot. At least, I could totally see the Black winter working for Tomarum material.
I'll give it a shot! Brandon and Kyle absolutely love Warforged, I need to dive into more of it. Been on a huge Ahab kick lately lol
edit: found some sound clips between the two and it seems like they're extremely close. The distortions have a weird eq to them that all of the guitar tones I've shaped using the warpigs do not get along with. Guess I found my next pickup. If only they came in white

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Fishman Fluence Moderns took it's throne.

cmpxchg

Reaction score
I'll give it a shot! Brandon and Kyle absolutely love Warforged, I need to dive into more of it. Been on a huge Ahab kick lately lol
edit: found some sound clips between the two and it seems like they're extremely close. The distortions have a weird eq to them that all of the guitar tones I've shaped using the warpigs do not get along with. Guess I found my next pickup. If only they came in white
you can occasionally find white Black Winters on Reverb. I have a set, but the wires are _really_ short now...

BrutalRob

Reaction score
Take a look at the Elysian Hellfire then. Also a thick pickup, but bass is more controllable than on the C-pig

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
I was worried about the spikey nature of the aftermath. I see how it's perfect for djent or really fast alternate picking riff kind of stuff. I incorporate some of that in my playing but maybe not enough to have a pickup that specializes in that. I'm still holding onto the thought of the cpig I'm just concerned there will be too much bass. Is there a pick up from BK that is similar to the aftermath that's a touch smoother/ not as dry with a little more bass?
Smoother, not as dry with a bit more bass, I'd say that's Blackhawk. I had a ceramic version that had a nice balanced, relatively tight and saturated tone overall but got tired of the lack of dynamics. Then again, recently I had alnico hawk set in a guitar and that sounded way more organic, yet with a modern feel to it.

I agree with earlier comments about the smoothness of Cpig and would assume Cbomb is too aggressive/hairy/bright.

Avoid Aftermath... :D

potatohead33

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've never played an Aftermath or a C-Pig but if someone wanted a good amount of bass/low mids without being too dry or compressed I would throw the Miracle Man into the mix.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I've never played an Aftermath or a C-Pig but if someone wanted a good amount of bass/low mids without being too dry or compressed I would throw the Miracle Man into the mix.
Still my favorite BKP to date, though I haven’t tried a few yet.

LotsOfGrease

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is not an easy decision. All the pickups sound really good. Video comparison are hard to judge by considering all the different factors. I am also struggling with describing what I want the pickup to sound like I think. I don't know if what I want to hear is what I am describing if that makes any sense. I think I could like the way the Jugg sounds, I am a fan of having some dynamics, and the dryness doesn't sound too bad(at least from the clips I have heard). I can definitely rule out the aftermath and the nailbomb. I've been considering the brute force as it has a similar eq to the warpig minus the boosted bass, it has a similar mid boost and balanced treble. Haven't ruled out the warpig yet but the bass still scares me lol. Some other pickups that I have started considering are the silo, and the blackdog. The blackdog surprised me in some videos I have seen of it. I would like the pickup I get to have a crunchy palm mute with out being extremely fizzy/ thin. If it sounds a little dry thats fine. The silo, jugg, brute force, blackdog, warpig are the main contenders.

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
I have an Aftermath in a Skervesen. I would avoid it. It is polarizing because it has a honk/quack that really comes out on some amps, but less so on others. Think of it like the character a boost gives to a Rectifier x10. It sounds excessive through something already tight like a Savage. If a pickup makes me spend more time dialing in an amp and not feeling good about it, it isn't fun.

I also have a C Nailbomb in a Mayo, it's good enough. But I wouldn't buy it if I had to go buy pickups...

My stance on BKP is that they, in general, are overpriced for what you get. SD, EMG, and DiMarzio put out solid choices (that I personally think sound just as good) with excellent exchange policies. They also cost about 2/3 the price of a BKP.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Ive had Painkiller in a Dean Z and a ceramic Nailbomb in my JP6. For what your description i would recommend the nailbomb. Its very tight and muddyness is not a problem at all. Very aggressive sounding with a huge chugg to it.

Other that that, rebel yell is IMO one of the most underrated BKP for heavy applications.

The Painkiller is a very technical pickup. Its tight, compressed and thinner sounding whick makes it very clear sounding. Not my favourite but I imagine that if your into very modern "djent" and heavy tunings, thats what the pickup is intended for.

My fave BKP is the C-Bomb because it is basically an evolved Thrash pickup. I haven't tried it with anything below Drop Db, but it covers anything imaginable for the styles of the Bay Area thrashers and their spawn.

:hbang:

Latest posts

')