Bareknucle Help!!! Now with fewer caps!!!

• Thread starter PrestigeKing
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive jst purchased an ibby RGA321 Mahogany/maple top, and want to fit some bare knuckles, my older guitars are EMG fitted so this wat my ear is use to but I'm after a clearer less fuzzed tone.

My amp is a Mesa roadking running mostly all tubes 4x 6L6's 2x EL34's with a maxon 808 in front.

Tuned to B drop so not extremely low but low enough with the Mesa to need bottom end tightness. I need the power and fullness for single string syncopated groove stuff with also the clarity for the melodic chordal sections in both clean and disort. I don't play solos.

Painkiller/coldsweat/warpig? Heard the ceramic versions are tighter. Worried the warpig is to gainy and prohaps to crunchy? Prefer my gain to come
from the amp. If what I've read about the painkiller is correct it's tight bassy plus bright in the highs I wonder if the suits a bright maple top gat, too much highs? So coldsweat is it powerful enuf?

Any advice appreciated

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitar Asylum

Reaction score
Painkiller/coldsweat/warpig? Heard the ceramic versions are tighter. Worried the warpig is to gainy and prohaps to crunchy? Prefer my gain to come
from the amp. If what I've read about the painkiller is correct it's tight bassy plus bright in the highs I wonder if the suits a bright maple top gat, too much highs? So coldsweat is it powerful enuf?

Any advice appreciated

If you want your gain coming from your amp, you might want to go with something lower output. I've read really good things about the Black Dog as a lower (relatively speaking) output pup that can get really heavy. A lot of guys swear by the Rebel Yell as well.

Personally, I love my Warpig to death, but I tend to play more doomy/sludgy kind of stuff.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
The PK works great in the RGA's. The Cold Sweat is basically is just as hot as the PK, but is more neutral in the mids and is brighter, while the PK has tons of high mids. I would go PK or Rebel Yell.

Reaction score
cool, given the woods of the guitar in how the mids lack, the PK sounds good. Would we say the RY is hotter again?

Maple top on Mahogany:
The staple of vintage construction, the Maple adds crispness to the mahogany, but the lows and low mids of mahogany are still as apparent. The Maple combs out some of the upper mids, not because Maple lacks in these areas, but because it is vastly different from mahogany in its handling of the upper midrange. There is fighting going on in that range between the two pieces that results in a canceling out of some of those upper midrange frequencies. That’s part of the “smoothness” associated with the Les Paul & PRS types.

Fretboard:

Rosewood: The most common fretboard, Rosewood is naturally oily, and works well for any surface that sees frequent human contact. The sound is richer in fundamental than Maple because the stray overtones are absorbed into the oily pores

Neck woods:

Maple: The most common electric guitar neck wood, Maple has a uniform grain, it’s strong and stable, and it has less reaction from environmental changes than other hardwoods. Its tone is highly reflective, and focuses more energy onto the body wood. All things being equal, bolt-on Maple necks are less of a factor on the guitar’s tone and emphasize the body wood.

Walnut: Walnut’s tight low end and combed midrange dynamics make it well suited for extended range. It won’t get muddy unless it’s a poor specimen with softer yellowish orange areas.

mhickman2

The Abiding Dude
Reaction score
With the guitar, amp, and preference all considered. I think the painkillers or cold sweats would probably be the best bet.

abstract

Reaction score
I have a ceramic warpig in a 6 string and I take it to drop-b sometimes. Sounds sounds awesome to me. It's definitely tight enough if you EQ it properly. The bass can loosen it up if you don't dial it back on the amp sometimes. It's not ridiculous, but enough to make you take it back a notch. I usually use it in Drop-C with a bit extra bass to achieve a wall-of-sound type tone, (not doomy, just big/full). It also does the tight/odd-time stuff I do so enjoy, and is actually quite versatile.

I think a Coldsweat or Painkiller would be good for you. It sounds it's best in mahogany/maple-top guitars and handles drop-tuning. Neither are very grindy, though (being the two pickups most often recommended for low-tunings), so if you want grind go for a C-Pig. It does sound good tuned low, and stays tight unlike it's alnico 5 sibling.

Reaction score
Awesome, so narrowed done to Pk or RY thanks. Based on reviews bcos i haven't played my rga321 yet some say it's quite a bright guitar but then given my amp being dark the PK being bright shud be ok and not over bright

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
DC resistance doesn't tell the whole story, dude. The Painkiller is the hottest PU that BKP makes. It's basically their version of a D-Activator. The Rebel Yell is between the "vintage hot" and "contemporary" lines. It's lower output than a SD JB.

That doesn't mean it can't be brutal, check out Nolly's video of his new Daemoness.

geofreesun

Reaction score
isn't the warpig the hottest by far??

DC resistance doesn't tell the whole story, dude. The Painkiller is the hottest PU that BKP makes. It's basically their version of a D-Activator. The Rebel Yell is between the "vintage hot" and "contemporary" lines. It's lower output than a SD JB.

That doesn't mean it can't be brutal, check out Nolly's video of his new Daemoness.

Latest posts

')