Baritone help

• Thread starter Brill
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Brill

sweet little lolita.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a 30" baritone 6 from agile custom shop. I'm just wondering if it tunes as low as a 8-9 string? and if it will turn up to my door in good condition (I live in Australia)?

Thanks in advance

P.S I am thinking Of going Drop B, But an octave lower to B0,F#1,B1,E2,G#2,C#3. Is this viable on a baritone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarkRain93

Banned
Reaction score
A long scale baritone like that (30") should be tuned similar to a Short scale bass , Low E to E. Basically a 8 string guitar tuned a whole step down from F# and minus the two high strings. I've had the idea to do a Sub Baritone Tuning like you are doing,(honestly glad someone else had an idea like that too X3), in theory I think you can tune it like a 9 string guitar, with the low C# string dropped to B0. I think its possible, my theory being, a short scale bass/long scale baritone uses a .095 string for the low E. So I would guess that a custom .110 string with a small ball end of course(baritone guitar correct?) or heavier will work. I believe Octave4plus.com has them last I investigated. The 9 string guitar set had a .104 string in there for low C#1 and a .120 for A0.

Brill

sweet little lolita.
Reaction score
I was checking on 9 string threads. Someone said they got a comfortable feel with a 0.95 on a 28 5/8" someone else said around .110 to .115 was a good tension on the 30"

I was only think of Drop B / Drop D for the tunings. Drop B to mimic the bass and Drop D, Because... Nebulous by Meshuggah... must I say more! And drop tunings make For interesting playing techniques for me.

DarkRain93

Banned
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Agile website and stock strings for a 9 on C# is .090 at a 30' I don't know how well that works so, I guess experiment. And oh your guitar making it ok to Australia, I have no idea,hopefully they better take care when delivering it , you payed a lot of money for a custom guitar. I hope FedEX doesn't fuck it up. lol

Rondo Music Electric Guitars | Page 1 of 1
btw sick guitars o_O I would want to get a custom too eventually.

DarkRain93

Banned
Reaction score
Oh I see, I went through there earlier looking for it lol. Makes sense now lol You get options, awesome. \m/

Metal_Webb

Needs more strings
Reaction score
Using Circle K strings....

BaritoneDropB.png

Gauges are 0.125, 0.079, 0.057, 0.041, 0.031, 0.022. It'd be a bitch to intonate though.

HOKENSTYFE

HeartWyrm
Reaction score
Hey, what's going on? I had that idea, not too long ago, as well. Why not a 6 string bass, I thought. Still struggling with trying to make that happen. My hands are big enough. Or should I just get a custom?

Brill

sweet little lolita.
Reaction score
Hey, what's going on? I had that idea, not too long ago, as well. Why not a 6 string bass, I thought. Still struggling with trying to make that happen. My hands are big enough. Or should I just get a custom?

there is a difference between the sound each produces. A bass and guitar sound and play differently. and chords would be impossible to play on a 6 string bass.

HOKENSTYFE

HeartWyrm
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear what your saying Loxo but. With the right pickups and the right design, it is manageable. A DiMarzio Breed pickup in a basswood body guitar works. So wouldn't it work in a bass guitar body? I know 6 string Basses are made different. Which is why going to the custom makes more sense. A 6 string custom guitar with a bass wood body a tad bit thicker neck & a little wider neck. All to help with intonation, stability & clarity of sound. For a guitar with a pretty low Tunning. That's what your looking for.

Unless you know of a 6 string guitar, as is. That can get you your desired Tunning. Your going to need to think outside the normal string box theory.

It does beg the thought. Can a 6 string bass do the job, which then I search and try out a 6 string bass, or. Do I just get a custom made, thicker & heavier, similar to a bass, for a guitar? Because don't forget. When your looking for a 6 string guitar, to do the Tunning & gauge changes. Don't forget to compensate for ALL the added gauge sizes, on that 6 string fretboard. :)

But hey, you know the difference. With chord tunnings that low. All for chugging. :)

Latest posts

')