Baritone Les Paul Studio

• Thread starter Solodini
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
whats the tuning on that cool gtr?! looks awesome.gibson is making some good models nowadays like the 7 string explorer. i just want more basses!

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
It's in C Standard tuning stock, at least that's what PG said in the print article.

This thing is really cool, Les Pauls make for fantastic baritones.

Infinite Recursion

Reaction score
A baritone, in my favourite colour for a Les Paul, that comes with the best set of stock pickups on the market? If I ever get unpoor I will have one.

TubeTone

Reaction score
premier guitar with horrible sound again

the guitar looks appealing though

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
Damn, me rikey. Pickup swap and that thing would scream. Maple neck and ebony board would have been a better option to clear up the low tuning tho imo

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I thought the distorted rhythm tone was actually pretty good. Then again, I like a good sludgy doomtastic tone. It actually had me looking up the price to see what it'd set me back, only to discover it's actually $160 more expensive than the Buckethead Studio siggie. They both have baritone scale lengths (Bucketheads is 27", this one is 27.75") and the same pickups, but the Buckethead has coiltaps, killswitches and the oversized body. Oh, and I'm a huge Buckethead fanboy. That means if and when I get a Gibson baritone, this one will get a pass.

Reaction score
Whats the difference between this Gibson baritone and the Epiphone one's from a few years ago? Besides the extra 1/4 inch in scale and volume/tone knobs.

I'm assuming just "craftsmanship" such as fret filing, and quality of wood grain/finish?

Aesthetics aside, is the huge price gap worth the money? Surely the name "Gibson" and the fact that it's made in America must be the biggest reason.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm assuming just "craftsmanship" such as fret filing, and quality of wood grain/finish?

Just? You realize that little "just" is what separates a quality guitar from a pile of fancy fire wood, right? :lol:

:)

Reaction score
Well i mean, you can file your own frets pretty easily and the finish/grain is just aesthetics right? Mahogany wood is gonna sound like mahogany wood... or am i wrong lol.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well i mean, you can file your own frets pretty easily and the finish/grain is just aesthetics right? Mahogany wood is gonna sound like mahogany wood... or am i wrong lol.

Fretwork is big. It has to do directly with how well a guitar does or doesn't play. Sometimes you need to do more than just file a little. That's a gross over simplification of it.

I've worked as a professional tech and do my own fretwork, but I still demand solid factory fretwork from my instruments. Not to mention most players aren't great at fretwork.

As for the wood you're dead wrong. Do you know what Mahogany is? It's not a wood but a general term given to a few dozen species of trees. There are various forms of Mahogany used in guitar construction and with that various quality levels and seasoning levels. These can effect the tone and longevity of the instrument.

That's Quite Pricey even for a gibson....

Still cheaper than an Eclipse over here. :shrug:

Reaction score
Fretwork is big. It has to do directly with how well a guitar does or doesn't play. Sometimes you need to do more than just file a little. That's a gross over simplification of it.

I've worked as a professional tech and do my own fretwork, but I still demand solid factory fretwork from my instruments. Not to mention most players aren't great at fretwork.

As for the wood you're dead wrong. Do you know what Mahogany is? It's not a wood but a general term given to a few dozen species of trees. There are various forms of Mahogany used in guitar construction and with that various quality levels and seasoning levels. These can effect the tone and longevity of the instrument.

Still cheaper than an Eclipse over here. :shrug:

i see your point, however i still think it's a bit expensive for what you're getting considering the fact that they're mass making them. somewhere around 800-900 seems more sensible.

anybody else notice that jam the guy is playing in that video around 2:42 sounds alot like Kyuss - Molten Universe and he plays Type O Negative - Love You To Death @ 3:36. Propz~

flo

Reaction score
It's really interesting what the scale length does to the tone. This doesn't sound like a Les Paul to me at all, not "warm" and "singing", but focused and clear.

And I totally agree with Max. To make a good guitar that will stay good for many years it takes a lot of knowledge about just every little detail. And the choice of wood is a biggie.

')