F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Who owns one?
Specs/scale length?
Tuning?
Technique/tone?
Acoustic/electric?

Personally I've got a Yamaha Drop 6 (can't remember the exact model) with a 26.25 scale, tuned to C. It rules for heavy riffs (much tighter sounding than my seven), but it's also cool for atmospheric parts, like the Bass VI sounds on the Cure's albums. If I had cash to spare right now, I'd get a tremol-no installed to experiment with lower tunings on it.

Fire away...:)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Garry Goodman

8-0ctaves
Reaction score
Who owns one?
Specs/scale length?
Tuning?
Technique/tone?
Acoustic/electric?

Personally I've got a Yamaha Drop 6 (can't remember the exact model) with a 25.75 scale, tuned to C. It rules for heavy riffs (much tighter sounding than my seven), but it's also cool for atmospheric parts, like the Bass VI sounds on the Cure's albums. If I had cash to spare right now, I'd get a tremol-no installed to experiment with lower tunings on it.

Fire away...:)

hey DR,
I have the 30" scale OLP Baritone Blue/Maple neck and I recently purchased
the Aslin Dane 28" scale Baritone.The Aslin Dane is surprisingly good for the price. I think I prefer the 28" scale for a Baritone because the string tension is easier and I can bend like crazy. I try all types of tunings but the B1 on the bottom works for me.
I have played and owned 5 Bass VI guitars over the years, but they really seem like bass guitars to me. I had a Gibson Eb6 which was wonderful and a MicroFret 6 which was cool.
Oh, the OLP is great. I just feel 30" gives a guitar that bass feel, having played 30" scale Hofners. My Tobias 7-string bass has a 34" scale and was influenced by the Fender. I really miss the mute feature and vibrato arm on those basses.

nikt

LACS Lover
Reaction score
I just sold not long ago my Ibanez AX110XL
Specs/scale length? mahogany body,3p maple neck, rosewood fretboard, 1humbucker that I've repalaced with SD SH-6 distortion, 1vol, 1tone, 27inch scale
Tuning? I used it with drop H tunning with 12-52 strings
Technique/tone? very cool sounding, agressive and tight. I've played some fast chuga chuga riffs plus some rockin parts (incubus). I just wish Ibanez made some more high end version of this one.
Acoustic/electric? electric

overal it's a cool cheap guitar with awful stock pickup.

jammy

Reaction score
I used to own an OLP baritone. That was 30" scale and i tuned it A/a. Totally great guitar. It now belongs to a mate and is tuned like a fender bass VI - and it's still great!

I still own my own acoustic baritone - 29" scale, tuned B/b, strung with 16 through 70 d'addario baritone acoustic strings. This one's currently up for sale...

02.jpg

clicky!

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a very special baritone guitar :

Photo001-1.jpg
Photo007-1.jpg

It's a Schecter Twin Tribal : upper neck is baritone 26.5" scale (now tuned to drop A) and lower neck is standard 25.5" scale (tuned to drop D). it's all mahogany set neck, very dark sounding. I'm not really satisfied with the current pickups with low gain settings so I might change them again but with my Bloody Murder those rips :hbang:

Hcash

These Eyes Are Blind
Reaction score
I have the Ibanez MMM1. 28" scale... I have it around Drop A and Drop G usually... Currently working on making it awesome. ...New pickups, better hardware color, new nut a tunners...

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
hey DR,
I have the 30" scale OLP Baritone Blue/Maple neck and I recently purchased
the Aslin Dane 28" scale Baritone.The Aslin Dane is surprisingly good for the price. I think I prefer the 28" scale for a Baritone because the string tension is easier and I can bend like crazy. I try all types of tunings but the B1 on the bottom works for me.
I have played and owned 5 Bass VI guitars over the years, but they really seem like bass guitars to me. I had a Gibson Eb6 which was wonderful and a MicroFret 6 which was cool.
Oh, the OLP is great. I just feel 30" gives a guitar that bass feel, having played 30" scale Hofners. My Tobias 7-string bass has a 34" scale and was influenced by the Fender. I really miss the mute feature and vibrato arm on those basses.

I'm just looking at the Fender website...it looks like the Bass VI has been replaced by the Jaguar Baritone, which looks like the HH jag' with a 28.5" scale and the same strings as the original Bass VI.
The Schecter Hellcat VI looks like it might be a good substitute for the original, although it still has a fixed bridge rather than the trem...

Schecter Guitar Research

Jammy: That guitar looks great. Does anyone else own Pat Metheny's 'One Quiet Night' album? That's a great showcase for the acoustic baritone...

I'd be interested to try a longer scale bari' at some stage, just to see how the tone/feel compares with mine, which is still pretty guitarist-friendly.

Ishan: How heavy is that thing?

Coryd

Reaction score
Schecter Scorpion Baritone
24 medium jumbo frets, solid mahogany body
Set maple neck with dual graphite reinforcement rods
Cream binding on the neck and headstock
2 volume pots, 1 tone, 3 way pickup switch
Black/Charcoal satin matte finish
Devil Horn headstock
Grover tuners
26.75 “ scale
BEADF#B baritone tuning using .13-.72 guage strings
String thru body Tone Pros bridge
Rosewood fretboard
Single diamond inlay at the 12th fret
EMG 81/85 pickups

I normally tune mine to drop A lately. Currently working on some new music with it. :hbang:

Great guitar for $350

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I've got an Ibanez AX110XL that I put a Duncan JB in. Sounds excellent. I tune between D-standard, Drop-C, C#-standard, Drop-B, C-standard, Drop-Bb, B-standard, Drop-A, and random other tunings.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
RGX420SD6

Just found the Yamaha I own. It's a fucking great guitar, but apparently it's been discontinued too (as have all the Yamaha baritones by the looks of things)...:(

')