Baritone tuning on a 7 string

• Thread starter sketchyluke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sketchyluke

Reaction score
Hello there,

First time owner of a 7 string here. Previously, I've usually played in B standard on a 6 string
(Baritone - BEADF#B)

Moving onto a 7 feels great and allows me to move vertically a lot more on the neck, making all that sweepy lead stuff a lot easier. Only issue is of course a lot of the chord choices in our songs no longer work due to raising that F# to a B (BEADGBe). Things like Gm where you can't just bar your index finger anymore in particular.

I wondered what your thoughts were on the idea of keeping the guitar in Baritone tuning and keeping that e at the top to assist with leads (BEADF#Be)? Or just compromising and adapting the existing songs to fit?

I'd imagine this is a choice a fair few people have had to make before. What's the least of two evils?

Toxin

no, i don't drink vodka
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with keeping the previous tuning...whatever naturally works for you - works the best

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
If you used Beadf#b, use beadf#be on a 7 as it'll work well for you :) You should find the high E barres nicely into most chords, too!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of adding a high A above EADGBEA shape (though usually with added bass strings too) - works out for similar fingerings.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
just-do-it-hed-2013.jpg

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I know people who use that "baritone" tuning all the time. +1 for just do it.

All the songs in one of my bands, Fumigation, are written on a baritone, but we play them on 7s in standard, so we have to change things up just a bit all the time to compensate for the one string being off. It's not usually a big deal.

thoughtpyotr

Reaction score
My band does this except with the low B dropped to an A.
not sure if you're a fan of dropped tuning but it's great because the first 6 strings are just drop-A and then there is a high E which adds a 9th to most chord shapes.

here is a video of it in use:

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Changing one string 1/2 step is not a bad thing. Going from B standard to B on a seven gave me a few issues with some songs that jumped that F# or G string. Over the years I have gotten used to switching back and forth though.

I still cannot decide whether to stick with B or C on the highest string on my six string bass and high-tuned 5 string basses.

Oscar Stern

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This Tuning allowed me to play Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles in the Original Key w/o having to put a capo on the 7th fret because I found the higher frets too cramped.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
does anyone know a 7 string tuning that can allow you to play Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles in the Original Key w/o having to put a capo on the 7th fret? preferably one that's SUPER QUICK

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
There's also the option to keep the first 6 strings in B standard like you're used to, then add a low F# or E to extend chords or do caveman chugs even lower :metal: